Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Info on The Golden Lion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jusme
Username: Jusme

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was a phys ed teacher and athletic director at Southwestern High School for over 40 years. (I believe 1924-1959). Anyway, he knew some of the Detroit Lions from back in the 50's. I have a menu from The Golden Lion with 6 of the Detroit Lions autographs on them. Can someone tell me a little history about this restaurant? Was it frequented by the
Lions of that era? I have the names of the Lions if that's of any interest to anyone. Thank-you for your help. I grew mainly in the Redford-Livonia area and didn't travel to the east side very often. (My Grandfather lived near Grand River and Greenfield.)

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Golden Lion was a "nicer" restaurant located on Moross Road just west of Mack Avenue. It was torn down several years ago to make way for a drug store. It was a popular dining spot for Grosse Pointers and eastside Detroiters.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1950s was the golden age of the Lions, 3 championships and 4 championship games in 6 years. So, yes, it would be nice if you could tell us the names. There's a fairly good chance that there's a Hall of Famer or two on that menu, since the Lions had, I think, 7 of them during that time.

Jusme

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The names I have of the Lions are Terry Barr, Jim Gibbons, Bob Nussbaum, John Gonzaga, John Gordy, and the others I can't quite read but think they are, Harley(Suwell)?, and Yale(Lang)?
Ok, I was born in the early 50's and therefore don't know much about them. Any help once again would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Yale Lary and Harley Sewell.

More info on these Lions alums can be found here on the 75 All-Time Players Roster: http://www.detroitlions.com/se ction_display.cfm?section_id=2 36&top=1&level=2
and
http://www.detroitlions.com/do cument_display.cfm?document_id =3861

Jusme

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ty I found the info after I posted the message
about 3:00 a.m. lol

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome. And welcome to the Forum!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 444
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hall of Fame count is one (Yale Lary), but there are several other old Lion fan favorites there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.