Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Murphy Beds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of an architectural salvage place that has Murphy beds? I know many of the older downtown apartment buildings had them. I hope they didnt just go into the landfill when the buildings were destroyed. I have a relative in metro Detroit who would love to have one to put in one room of the house they are building, and she doesn't like the new ones you can buy. I had never seen one before I visited my then-to-be father-in-law in his tiny apartment..I think maybe it was the Leland House, but don't remember...that was back in the 1970. I thought it was so cool that the bed came down out of the wall.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit
(313) 896-8333

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to sleep on one and it was a spring loaded nightmare, but here's a site that says they have them for sale:

http://intertwining.org/beds/d efault.htm

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I've never slept on one, and am not sure how my father-in-law managed, since he was 6'6" tall. My relative wants to do one bedroom to look like an OLD apartment room. Dark woodwork, vintage furnishings etc. Appreciate the leads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.