Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Lafayette Building appears doomed » Archive through March 26, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DDA has sent out RFPs for "complete demolition" of the Lafayette Building. Apparently, it has the money and doesn't need City Council approval to level it. Seems odd that a building owned by the taxpayers (city took it over for back taxes) can be razed by a quasi-public arm of the city without any feedback or approval of the body elected to represent said taxpayers. Not that the council would stop the demo, anyway, but still.
A link to the RFP:
http://www.degc.org/data/Lafay ette_Demo_Mactech_EKS_RFP.pdf

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on March 25, 2009)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're erasing Detroit, one building at a time.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes no sense what good will another parking lot be downtown...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of several good reasons not to move forward with this demolition:

Nobody disputes the fact that the Lafayette is a mess and needs to be cleaned up. Cleaning the windows, chopping down the roof trees and securing the cornice would cost a FRACTION of the cost of asbestos abatement and demolition. This is a good thing to keep in mind when your city is $200 million in debt. Cheaper is better.

The Book-Cadillac closed in 1984. The Fort Shelby closed as a hotel in 1974. The Lafayette closed in only 1997. Today, we have two revitalized landmarks to be proud of that stood vacant for decades and decades. Expecting such redevelopment in this economy is unrealistic.

It’s been said a million times, but once a building is gone it’s gone. They don’t make 1924 Depression-era buildings like this anymore.

There is no plan in place for the site. In the past, when the city has torn down large buildings without a plan in place, the locations sit empty and vacant for decades: Kern’s Block, Monroe Block, Hudson’s site, Hotel Statler site, old City Hall site, old Motown building site. In this economy, Quicken has shown, such major developments are even less likely. Redevelopments are occurring more often than new construction. Other than Compuware in 2003 and One Kennedy Square in 2006, what else has there been downtown? If there is no plan in place, why demolish it?

An area in the northern Central Business District will have three huge parking lots and look like the Cass Corridor. How is looking at a parking lot and parking garage better than a cleaned-up 1924 building? We risk having another parking lot or overgrown lot in the heart of downtown. How will this encourage tourism, etc.?

The back of the Lafayette, facing Campus Martius, can be used to display large ads – like on the Broderick Tower and 1001 Woodward – that can bring in revenue for the city and/or pay to maintain the Lafayette Building.

I could go on and on and on ... but nobody with the power AND the sanity will listen.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown DEVELOPMENT Authority, what an oxymoron. Seems to me they wouldn't know how to develop anything but a parking lot.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who is our Nero?

D_mcc

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who is our Nero?

Is it Martha Reeves? Instead of playin the fiddle, she's dancin in the streets?

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should write and ask them to update their name to the Downtown Parking Lot Development Authority or the Downtown Demolition Authority.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 634
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame. It's such a great building.

Well, I suppose it's time I make a trip and photograph it before it meets the wrecking ball.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is true, I am so angry.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true.
Unless council steps in to intervene...

D_mcc

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Callin' out around the world
Are you ready for a brand new beat?
Summer's here and the time is right
For dancin' in the streets
They're dancin' in Chi...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just say:"It's a city jewel!" and sing:"Onward Christian Soliders". Your wish will be granted.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4424
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tears are already welling up in my eyes. Damn this place.

Have Preservation Wayne et al. organized anything? An all-out war against this foolishness needs to be waged.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been part of the Preservation Wayne effort to save the Lafayette since late December when it became clear that it was endangered. In May, SHPO is to look at granting the Lafayette historic place status (if demo hasn't begun yet). The problem is, that status really only prevents FEDERAL money from being used for demolition. DDA has, apparently, money in the bank to fund it. Pres Wayne also has been talking to Quicken, Chris Ferchill and others trying to save it. We've been trying, but it's a small group against the all-mighty, unchecked power of the DDA and DEGC. I should mention that I am NOT affiliated with Preservation Wayne, and have only been helping in the effort to save it. The anti-Jackson comments are my feelings alone.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on March 25, 2009)

D_mcc

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not love I'm runnin' from,
It's the heartbreak I know will come
Cause I know that you're no good for me
But you've become a part of me

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4616
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The problem is, that status really only prevents FEDERAL money from being used for demolition. DDA has, apparently, money in the bank to fund it.

Why would the Downtown Development Authority ever use its money for, um, development?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's never over till the fat lady sings. she's on stage and awaiting the orchestra. any snipers in the audience???

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Rhymeswithrawk.

Seems to me that there's just a lack of powerful people willing to come out on the side of preservation, or perhaps that the desire to destruct is just too great, regardless. When will we learn, though? It hasn't yielded progress in the past (see: Statler, Madison-Lenox, Hudson's, Monroe blocks, e.g.) and it certainly will not now.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man...When are we all going to get it???

Our voices don't mean shit! The fucking council doesn't give a rats ass about anything in this town, yet they will be the first to stand up if someone says Detroit the wrong way.

I'm tired of it all. Let them bulldoze all the buildings, let them drive every last citizen out, let them destroy the history of a once great and proud city, while the rest of the country uses us and our state as punchline after punchline. Let those in the CAY Building wonder why all the smart people leave all the time, why cities like Chicago, NY, DC, Boston allllll grow and grow, and people WANT to be there...

Yet we keep electing idiots...

God Bless you Detroit, I love you with all my heart, but god damn...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait! There's hope! Check out this blog entry!

http://www.citybirddetroit.blo gspot.com/

God speed, Mr. City Bird! C. Howard Crane, the city of Detroit and I all wish you the best of luck!

D_mcc

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They took all the buildings
And put them in a building museum
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you’ve got
‘Til it’s gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the cause's Facebook page:
http://apps.facebook.com/cause s/176790

The Downtown Development Authority has issued a request for "complete demolition" of the Lafayette Building. The proposals are due April 2, meaning the landmark could start to come down as early as May. The agency does NOT need City Council approval to do this and historic protection will not help because the agency does not plan to use federal money to pay for it. This means that we may have lost the fight.
But there is one last shred of hope.
Thursday, March 27 may very well be the Lafayette Building's last stand. Andy Linn and Preservation Wayne are going to bat to save C. Howard Crane's landmark from the wrecking ball. At 10 a.m., they are to address a City Council committee and urge the council to intervene. If their words fall upon deaf ears, it's likely the end. I will let you know how it goes.
Regardless of the outcome, I'd like to thank everyone who wrote letters and showed their support.
God speed, Andy and Preservation Wayne.
To read Andy Linn's blog on the subject, go to:
http://www.citybirddetroit.blo gspot.com.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame I can only send the Cause invite to 60 people a day...I can think of 200+ that would join that cause

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it be of assistance if I could also come to the council comment session... Do you know where it stands on their agenda?

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on March 26, 2009)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4328
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How exactly are the DDA and DEGC related? I'm always very confused as to the organization of these, and who gets to pick the leaders, and such. This would be something to direct at the DDA and DEGC before directing it at the council, right?

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 26, 2009)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow at 10a? Good luck Andy and others. You will be in my thoughts, as I'm currently beyond Michigan borders.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO ANDY GO!!
Dan, you have done great work on this!!
good luck to everyone.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy Linn & the folks at Preservation Wayne are upstanding citizens & fine Detroiters. There is hope that they will make a strong argument for saving the building. Let's pray that CC is receptive!

D_mcc

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump