Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Velvet Peanut Butter is back! » Archive through March 11, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, reading that can, they don't sound very appealing - alkaline? Scientifically processed??? Good thing I didn't read the bags back then! I wonder were they really "healthy" or did we just not know any better?

Thanks for the pics, Big!

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hydrogenated vegetable shortening = Trans Fats!

Not particularily healthy, lol

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like all the athletic activities depicted in silhouette, on the can -- tennis, golf, tobaggan riding, horseback riding...as if to say Potato chips! Part of your healthy, active lifestyle!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4125
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the staples on the bags of chips, some would fall in, and the awful feeling biting down on one ?

And when those giant chip cans were empty, they were filled with freshly made popcorn, for Saturday night sleep overs and late night horror films on TV.
And Towne Clubs all around !

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cared back then?
If it tasted good, that's all that mattered.
Hell, I remember that long distance runner a few years ago?
He was supposed to be healthy too.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure do hope that the Velvet PB guy chimes back in and tells us about why he decided to launch this venture, the hoops he had to jump through to acquire the rights to the name and how true to the orginal recipe this new velvet is.

Our home administered taste test revealed that velvet had a very creamy, almost whipped, texture.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, the starch and fat in potato chips are NOT alkaline producing -- they are acid producing. But hey, it's a snack!

Fury13

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is the love for the return of Velvet borne out of nostalgia, rooting for the "home team," or because it's a better peanut butter? Hmmmmm?

There are peanut butters out there that are all-natural, with no added sugar or hydrogenated oil, you know.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All 3. Plus, I think natural peanut butter tastes like shit.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We thought it was the best back then. It was delicious.

Fury13

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think natural peanut butter tastes like shit."

Wow. Really? So you prefer Velveeta to cheddar and Spam to ham, too? Do you insist on high fructose corn syrup as an additive to all your food?

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Really.

Plus I prefer cave-aged Emmental to cheddar. And I prefer grass-fed Porterhouse to ham.

Natural peanut butter still tastes like shit.

Gonna quiz me on what I had for breakfast now?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9555
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury just can't stand when people enjoy a local product, or try to support their local economy. It's a long standing trend.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury can't help himself, anyone who disagrees is obviously misinformed. Just ask him about anything and you'll get an education.

Funny, Joe, I suspect he doesn't know your extensive background in the culinary arts. Oh well, ... as far as natural PB tasting like shit, well, never having tasted shit I can't compare, but according to Fury it doesn't, so I guess he knows.

(Message edited by gnome on March 05, 2009)

Pffft

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury,
See if you got rid of the Yaris there wouldn't be this aggravation! Urbanfisherman has a point...so called "natural" peanut butter often tastes off, I don't know why.

Velvet tastes great, but I'd bet it's a simple recipe, it's a very intense peanut taste, for lack of a better description...

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to throw into this. The New Era chips, don't remember them well but yeah, local is what they were. These days, for chips, just cannot beat Downey's. Nothing like washing them down with a Vernors. Too bad you can't get Vernors in glass bottle anymore.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I remember Vita Boy potato chips. But there's hardly anything on the web on them. Yeah, Downey's vinegar chips are great.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Velvet was great. Real peanut butter, that as I remember had only 2 ingredients - peanuts and salt. My heart sort of leapt with nostalgic recognition when I saw the old packaging again, but I'm a bit disheartened to find out that it contains sugar now. Was that not a part of the original recipe, or am I losing my mind again?

The non-sugary peanut-y saltyness was one of the reasons why I remember it being perfect for the PB&J sandwiches I ate throughout my childhood.

Oh yeah, I agree that all modern "natural" peanut butter I've had is horrible. Peanut butter is a specific thing, and that ain't it. It's a bit like trying to make healthy pop with no sugar and no carbonation. Better for you, perhaps, but no longer pop. I always end up adding salt and sometimes honey or jam to the "natural" stuff my girlfriend keeps around.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if this is the whole list of ingredients.

From Ed Golick's site, also from the Velvet PB site.

It's still a local product even if it's not the old recipe.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped at a Hiller's Market and they wee sold out of Velvet peanut butter. They did just get Towne Club pop in stock though.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Flint, I remember Paramount Potato Chips. Does anyone else remember those? The packaging featured "Slim Chipley," a potato chip guy dressed as a cowboy or something like that.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely remember Slim Chiply! My dad was always (and still is) a BetterMade fan but every time we went up north to St. Helen he would buy Paramount. I guess you couldn't get Bettermade up there.

Slim Chiply

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Velvet sightings?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None as of yesterday at Berkley Hiller's. The person I talked to said they were getting many calls and shoppers looking for it, but she had no idea when it would be in. She said she heard it takes them six weeks to make a batch. I wonder if there is any truth to that, it sounds strange. Anyway, Eric Bruce from Velvet who posted earlier said it would be in this week, just not which day.

Tarkus

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just called Berkley. They said it's in

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm heading there now, thanks!

Tarkus

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got it. Only a few jars were left.The cashier said people were buying by the case. Enjoying a pbj right now, yummy.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit Free Press...the peanut butter is acutally made in Georgia...not really a Michigan Made product anymore.

Remember Velvet peanut butter? The famed Michigan-made brand drifted away in the late '80s when the owner sold the company.

It was a favorite of business owner Eric Bruce, a Michigan native currently living in Georgia, who aims to reestablish Michigan brands that have disappeared.

Bruce has resurrected the Velvet Peanut Butter brand, which is currently made in Georgia and is salmonella-free. His goal is to return production of the peanut butter to Michigan.

In metro Detroit, Velvet is sold at Hiller's Markets; it will soon be at Oakridge Market and some Westborn Markets. An 18-ounce jar retails for about $3.

So far, the peanut butter is a hit, selling out at Hiller's.

Pffft

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee that told me a lot I didn't know.