Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just want to warn you to never leave your kids alone if you have a bigger dog. Bad things can happen!!!!

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,
Words cannot express the gratitude we are all feeling .We always knew that you were very talented, but to have the foresight fourty years ago to captue with such depth and passion the body of work that you have put together concerning The GarWood Mansion and our presents there really is staggering and leaves me with an attitude of humility.To be able to look back and see with clarity all that was in our hearts, to help us remember beautiful things that we had tucked away and lol things we thought happened but really weren't sure...To you my friend a heatfelt, Thankyou

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Collier's Blog, be sure to click on 'Older Posts' at the bottom and then follow that to the bottom and click on Micro Pointillism: Defining A Medium. You'll see Lowell Boileau (DetroitYes) and Stephen Goodfellow, Lowell's art soul mate. They developed the style and technique of Micro Pointillism together. I've collected works of each. Lowell's work is more landscapes, buildings and scenery and Stephen's work is more political and social commentary and humour. They both employ bright, vivid colors and Stephen's wild characters are outstanding and fun. For a better look at Lowell's works check out bhere.com and Stephen's website is Goodfelloweb.com. Unfortunately, Lowell's wife Susan's works are not displayed. She's a wonderful artist in her own right.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dgrrl. You don't post much during hibernation but when you emerge, you come out with a roar.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I just feel like a whole world opened up today with these photographs.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hey hey
1KD.... I second that emotion!!!!!
thanks Miss D You are the
**************WOMEN of the YEAR!!!!!!!

and again John C yaaaaa hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that bonfire shot has a roar to it, I forgot about that..really thanks

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1Kdrive,,, the Alibi was on Cross street. The building is still there I think they call it Aubries, it's like a sports bar now. I remember back in the early 80's the upstairs was a Jazz club...At one time I think it was called Abigales too...The Side Track is still there..also I love your landscape in A2 very gifted!!!

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah.......what she said!

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in College hahah at EMU 70,71...Lots of fun times at the Alabi..Det 8o right on..Music and fun every night...John Collier Thanks Again..Great Work..A Time capsule...

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD are U the new outdoor photo MAN , what a joy to see some of those A2 shots and the info is also a real treat..

Gleeman your Murals are really special , some time we would like to see more of your work.
The work that goes into just one can be so overwhelming, congrats to you.

D 21,,,,DG 80 welcome,to the
WOK & WEE,
WOK & ROLL, thread of great memories

Graynoodle
Username: Graynoodle

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.mpp.org has lots of information on medicinal marijuanna for all states

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgirl80, thanks. I'm surprised about the Alibi. I don't have any clear recollections of it. I'll have to use the OG method and consult friends who were more sober and less high than was I (Dr.Seuss?). I go to Aubrey's and the Sidetrack (same owners) fairly regularly, especially in warm weather, because I can almost crawl home. Okay, I have to crawl past the hookers on Michigan avenue, but they never pay attention to me in my stupor. What landscapes are you referring to?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isle_of_fun, I'm out and about the A2, Ypsi, Saline, Milan, Chelsea, Manchester areas all the time. I deliver food and events and I photograph properties for my brother and I. It's tough being semi-retired, unretired, retired and semi-retired again. With this economy, I don't know WTF is going on. As well as I thought I knew the area from years of living and hanging here, I didn't have a clue to the cool things hiding out. Ypsi has a huge stock of very old and historic homes as well as cool industrial buildings. There are many abandoned quarry sites surrounding A2 that are being adapted to alternative uses. One by the intersections of Zeeb and Joy Roads and Huron River Drive is huge, maybe a mile long and 3/4 mile wide. It's so deep that there are roads winding down to the flooded bottom. Homes are being built at all levels around this mini-canyon. My girlfriend and I hiked one yesterday that's being developed into a very rustic county park. It's flooded and the frogs were chirping so loud it was a roar across the quarry. We saw a fox and dozens of turkey buzzards. There's a home up on the ridge made out of grain silos. We couldn't get close enough to photo it because it's posted.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This photo doesn't do the quarry/canyon's size and scope any justice. I'll try again on a more clear day. I had to wade through 3 feet of snow to take this one in early february. There are a couple of gigantic McMansions bordering the quarry/canyon. As much as I disdain the McMansions, at least the developers are creatively re-using previously wasted land.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This picture is from a post card. All you Ann Arborites, past and present, enjoy.

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1Kdrive,,ooops sorry I gave credit to the wrong person hard to keep up with these threads...Gleeman, great work!!! A good friend of mine and I meet at the sidetrack when we get together, we've been doing this for years now. It's a half way mark for us, she lives in Wixom I in Grasslake (home of gooselake)...Our paths may have crossed..thanx Isle of fun, great trying to keep up with all this blast from the past stuff :-)

Margie

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI DGIRL80...Who are you ?
Nice to have you onboard...I don't remember if I already said that..

Hi Guys !!!!!!!!

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornin Margie; Looks like we are the only ones on line this morning.....It's been an eventful last few weeks here on the old thread.....We found Karl S. and he is on board, possibly locating Nancy S. and Nancy C......DRMR21 came on board, and WEE are glad he did....I also have some leads on Dave Karas' brothers and Adam Bindas' family....STLRKN I'm hoping that you might be able to locate Joe Fords family and let them know what is happening....I think it would be a nice touch and appropriate to get in touch with families of those who have passed on and include them in some way at the reunion....Thanks STNFNT for bringing that idea up....Oh and John Collier' photo' really did some damage to the memory pixels, really got things stirred up back in the recesses of the grey matter...and we got to see some of GLMN' work thanks to 1KD......A few other folks have joined in our daily banter..DGRL80 and others....Glad you all are enjoying our thread.....I'm sure there are some things I've missed.....this is just a snippet of our daily lives that we can expand on and add to at the reunion.........GDGT

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want my Maypo!

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt... Maypo with Ovaltine, malted chocolate mmmmmmm
Talk about taste buds gone wild, did Maypo have a maple flavor?

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD it amazes me how many quarries, gravel pits and sink holes that this State has. Not to mention some of the richest soil and clays. I was always told that Ohio & Penn. were the Potters heaven. Some of the places that I have been in MI would tell me that we have yet to be using that resource. Have any of you ever swam in the Rifle river in July and wonder why it is so cold? Just another day of Earth exploration.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gashl1 stated "think it would be a nice touch and appropriate to get in touch with families of those who have passed on and include them in some way at the reunion....Thanks STNF"

Yes to that and there are some others out there that I have mentioned before so here are a few questions..
Did Fergie pal around with Stoney and Charlie?
Linda who lived with Dave & Rosalyn
Ed aka B F and there was a whole list that Stnf listed.
How are we doing on that list ?
okay... time for lunch and more paperwork

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had lots of Good time at the Old Red Barn
Hockey games,many concerts Beatles,Stones,Doors,George Harrison (Traveling Concert for Bangledesh)

Isle of Fun...Love the Rifle River always take a Cannoe trip every Summer Great Fun!!!

Margie

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic Whaler...When I was 12 I begged whined and cried my way into having my dad drive down to the olympia just in case by some miracle I might get to see them...my mom and dad drove back and fourth not really knowing what to do since it was totally sold out and with my parents not really being into wheeling and dealing at the door we turned around to go home and just as we made our turn,a big black limo rode slowly by us and OMG there they were !!!!! Sobbing my eyes out and staring through my window in disbelief Paul waved at me of all people and that was it...I freaked, to the point that somehow my dad became a bonified wheeler dealer and found some guy to buy some tickets from which now that I think about it probably cost him about a weeks pay.So there I was in the nose bleeds as happy as could be not hearing one thing because of the screaming and I guess that was the start of it !

Margie

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitgirl80...
I knew it then , Yet I know it even more know...It was an honor and a privilege.

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Margie that was a touching story about what a Dad will do when he sees that sparkle in his little girl's eye.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Del Rio today as The Grizzly Peak.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former and original location of The Flame.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former location of the Pretzel Bell.