Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 23, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOOVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drummer21
Username: Drummer21

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman... I'm always ready to funk!

Rockinrona... It's been too long, and thank you for the good wishes regarding wee's

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG....there's another New Year's Eve that ain't coming back to me.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 'wee' have started a new movement, the "WEE Generation". Take it to the streets. "WEE for Democracy" or WEED as an acronym.....WEED for everyone...Right on brothers and sisters.....Rock on wit yo bad selves

83 DAYS

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Stnfrnt, You know there was a lot of stuff going on when you spend an evening hanging with George Clinton and don't remember it.

Old_guy

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I did run into this guy today that I used to drink with in Ann Arbor and he swears it was the Blind Pig, but it was down in the basement where the wine bar was. He couldn't remember anything about it being an old bank. So maybe that makes sense. After all these years, he claimed we'd always get thrown out of Mr. Floods first, then go to the Second Chance, then the Blind Pig and then the Fleetwood Diner. That's kind of how I remember it. I think the Del Rio was in there too.

Drummer21
Username: Drummer21

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt... What was the name of the bar we played in Ann Arbor where one night two girls got a bit randy on the dance floor and we turned a three minute song into thirty minutes?

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of You All... Remember the Alibi Lounge in Ypsi..Lots of Fun back in those days..Very Cold In Detroit.37*..Peace..Whaler

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a great day here in South Florida high today was 78 and SUNNY.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drmr21...sorry, bro. If I can't remember George Clinton, then another bar gig probably ain't gonna jump out at me. I'll keep trying, tho.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stone, post #563 looks like my IRA before the Bush meltdown. I gotta go check my piggybank to see how I'm doing now.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photo Mackenzie. We like interlopers here, especially the ones who bring cool things to the table. That's a cool picture. It may have been the place OG was talking about in another incarnation, not likely the one in the photo. That building is now the Bivouac Outfitter's and clothing store on State Street across from the Diag. On the immediate right in the picture is the Nickel's Arcade, the glass roofed passageway of shops, that walks through to Maynard street. Do any of you guys (BTW: that's a unisex term) remember the Nickel's Arcade? It was featured in an article in the A2 News this past week.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, was the Alibi the bar downstairs? Maybe that was the Underground? It was on the south side of Washtenaw near Golfside.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Drummer. Thanks for the story. Another great one to add to the archives of the Gar Wood. Sly was known to hang out around Detroit. In later years he and George Clinton hung out together, recording and performing in Detroit, mostly impromptu performances - doing the Funk-a-del-ic-ment thaaaaaaaaaang.

(Message edited by 1KielsonDrive on March 22, 2009)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, when you mentioned the Bank type building, I first thought of the Del Rio. It was on the NE corner of Washington and Ashley. It might have reminded you of a bank, especially in your condition. The Blind Pig had a very nice glass room just inside the windows in the picture I posted. It definitely had a groovy, wine bar feel to it. It was very low key and mellow upstairs. The basement, where the entertainment was, was loud and crazy. I don't remember that it only served wine, but it's possible. Maybe if I get over there to photograph Gleeman's interior murals, I can get some additional history that none of us seem to remember. The Del Rio's founder and owner, Rick Burgess, passed away a couple of weeks ago, as I posted. It's now a brewpub, the name escapes me at the moment.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, here are a few updates. Hertler Bros. is an upscale garden store. Seems to be doing very well. I was really pissed when they turned it over because they fenced their lot next door for private parking. That was one of my best parking spots downtown. I could literally crawl to and from Flood's, The Old Town, The Flame, The Fleetwood, Kitty O'Sheas and other joints. The Gandy Dancer is still rolling along. It's now owned by a large corporation - Landy's Restaurants. They bought up all of the Chuck Muer's/Merriweather's Restaurants after his untimely demise in the Bermuda Triangle. Too bad, he was a mentor and idol to me. The Whiffletree burned about 15-18 years ago. It was on Huron Street by the Bus Station, which is still there. Cottage Inn is in it's original location but has expanded exponentially. They must have 30 pizzaria's around the area, including downtown Detroit. The Earle is still the creme of A2. The Moveable Feast (the old victorian house up the hill from Liberty Street across the railroad tracks) closed a few years ago and is now a catering company. I don't remember the Applerose or the Soybean Cellars. Help me with those, please. The Real Seafood Company is still on Main Street. They own half the restaurants on Main Street - Paleo, Grazi, etc.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstlady, I'd love to hear from you and catch up on you and your family. Are your sisters with you in CA? I was on Brooks Street and Wagner Road again today. Every time I go by I think of you. I believe your old house on Wagner is still there, but I'm not sure about the house on Brooks. Do you have addresses? I can go by and photograph them if you'd like. I'd like. I'm in those neighborhoods all the time. Stone, OG and I discussed the house on Brooks here a few months ago. The website OG mentioned a few posts back has the Carpenter's Hall on it. Didn't you and Breeze and/or someone else from the house do a gig there? I know I attended one with you guys. It's on Michigan Avenue just east of Carpenter Road. I can get you caught up on lot's of happenings. Email me at 1KielsonDrive@live.com

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the brew pub is Grisley Peak,,,I go there often,,,great beer and yes it used to be the old Del Rio. I used to go there back in the 70's...Whiffle tree has been gone a long time....The Alibi was a great place to hang out!! I went there with Mike Pinera and some other's from the band The Third power and we ran into the guys from the Rocket's,,, Rusty Day was there also...they don't make bar's like that anymore

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4276
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stolen from the Detroit Craigslist.

I GO TO THE CLUB AND GET TWO TYPES OF GREEN,TWO TYPES OF HASHISH...... (IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS YOU'LL DO THE SAME !)

...............AND TO THAT I ADD 1.5 GRAMS HONEY OIL AND MIX THOSE 5 THINGS TOGETHER TO FORM THE STONYIST PASTE LIKE GOO !!!...DUDE....1 HIT AND IM BAKED FOR FIVE HOURS. AND IT LASTS FOR A MONTHS BECAUSE ALL YOU NEED IS 2 HITS A DAY !.THATS HOW IT IS HERE IN SANTA CRUZ ....TWO CLUBS TO CHOOSE FROM ...BOTH OF THEM RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM COSTCO....... ONE IS CALLED GREENWAY ...THE OTHER IS SANTA CRUZ PATIENTS COLLECTIVE..THEY BOTH ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS... AND BOTH CHARGE 8% SALES TAX .BOTH HAVE THE MOST EXQUISITE SELECTION OF ALL FORMS OF HIGH GRADE CANNABIS PRODUCTS !! AND JUST THINK IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, ALL YOU JONESING MICHAGONIANS , YOU TO WILL BE ABLE TO FIRE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD DRUG DEALER AND OBTAIN LEGAL CANNABIS ....JUST LIKE WE DO OUT HERE IN CALI....MEDICAL...... 215 STYLE !! SOUNDS PRETTY SWEET , UHH??? OAKSTERDAM,BABY !!!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ rnr/1083257576.html

Now I'm worried. Is this what's it like to get old ?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23....that dude is just rude. Major Jerk Factor stuff. Feds are still cracking down on MM places and rhetoric like that is an open invitation for major hassles.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4279
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/180913.html?1237667870

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitgirl80, thanks, I just remembered that name and sent it to Ruth - Grizzly Peak. They expanded to the former Del Rio space from next door. I still don't remember where the Alibi was located. Help me. Also the Apple Rose and Soybean Cellars?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

view looking up from ground..........right, Gus?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23....I had not heard about Obama's policy but am very, very glad to see him take that stance! I just hope the old Bush hard-liners don't mount one more blitz on the way out the door. Recent newspaper articles out here seem to indicate an increase in that kind of crackdown. Sort of a "One more for the road" thing.

I like the guy who was concerned more with locating "recreational user outlets" than prescription dispensing 'pharmacies'.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Monday. You all will be pleased to know John Collier has been busy. He's set-up a blog with some of his photographs. Take a look...

www.collierpics.blogspot.com

Old_guy

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thank you John and thank you Det313grll. This is great! Your timing couldn't be better.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgrl...that website is a motherlode! Finally!! It reinforces my opinion on what an etrordinary talent John Collier is.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks John.....spent a few quiet moments after viewing.....

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin' Ya'll, Great Photo's J.C. Thank You.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!!!!! John , thanks so very much for sharing I also did some moments of thought as Gash did..
So many moments, so many people, so much action ....
Are there really enough words to describe it all?