Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Locating a grade school 30's/40's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother graduated from Northeastern in 1947.
I'm interested in finding out where she went to grade school. She grew up in the NE corner of Miller and Mt. Elliot.
Looking at the google satellite map there is a what looks like a school building on Georgia St which would have been close to her house and I wonder if that might have been the area grade school.

Would DPL/Burton Collection have district maps from the that time frame?

Thanks for any help.

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If memory serves me correctly, that school would have been Burroughs. I attended St. Thomas Apostle elementary school at Miller/Van Dyke and I think Burroughs was the closest public school. I could be wrong, though.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Jane Cooper Public school on Georgia between Helen and Concord.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, most likely she attended Cooper Elementary School, 6836 Georgia between Helen and Concord. Cooper has been closed for several years now. After leaving Cooper (K-5) most likely she attended Burroughs Middle School for grades 6-8, as Ancestor_hunter mentioned.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tie! You have more first hand info obviously, I don't have the address, just the Sanborn map image.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooper was the school my best friend's children attended in the late 80s, and it was still active into the early '90s. It was a largish school, as that area once supported a pretty dense population of families. It is a vacant hulk today though, as the neighborhood it once served has now disappeared completely and the area has mostly been rezoned for industry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.