Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks JC for the link! I liked it so much I posted it to my facebook page.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2780
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason I asked is I saw where a Jim Ansell passed away last week in Roseville and they had his age listed as 51. We went to school with Jim Ansell. I knew he had an older brother but wasn't sure of a younger one. They lived on State Fair right across from Heilman.

St_juder
Username: St_juder

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across this today and thought it was interesting. Not a big suprise for Detroiters though.http://www.slate.com/?id=22136 96

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 703
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, SJdr, I'm only surprised that such few former gems were showcased - but am glad that since this information is readily available, that they didn't take a tour down Gratiot from south to north. So many abandoned - or worse - old storefronts, where you can still imagine the families living above their businesses.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: For some crazy reason I remember Robert Kearns the inventor of the delay wiper system. It may have been because he was a Wayne State engineering professor and at the time my brother-in-law, a patent lawyer, discussed the case. Anyway, if you recall it was a big deal around hear because of the law suits against the auto companies on patent infringements.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6116
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, CFG, she definitely was the 'damsel in distress' type.
TS, you are more than welcome. It cracked me up too.

Jcole

Post Number: 6117
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I never in 8 years saw a nun go get help to control her classroom. Those girls knew how.

Zitro

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thye walked tall and carried a big stick(literally)

Jcole

Post Number: 6118
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a big ruler, or a big rosary, or a big belt...
You get the picture

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they had God on their side.

Jcole

Post Number: 6119
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God IS on the side of the strongest battalion.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and let's not forget their expertise in psychological warfare.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is everyone doing on this feast day of St. Joseph? Heilmann field is a little soggy so a lot of us are going to meet up on the black top.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could all hide in the craters out on the blacktop and no one would know we were there!

Jcole

Post Number: 6120
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but the semi's might park on top of us then

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy one year anniversary all who visit and and participate in this St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia thread. It is incredible to realize the amount and longevity of daily sharing of our common background. Along with the facebook site it seems like 45 years ago happened last year. Although it is sad to realize the loss of friends and the closing of the school, it is very uplifting to realize that St. Jude Parish continues to be a beacon of hope and remains an important mainstay of the northeast Detroit community. Hopefully, St. Jude will continue on and we all remain connected via this forum. God Bless you all.

Thanks Lowell for the continued support of this website.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure 7K would soon realize that those craters would make a good fox hole for a rock war. BTW, is Frank working on this day off from school?

Zitro

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 year!!! Thanks for getting the discussion going KR. It's been great rehashing some of the great memomries from this era in our lives.

Jcole

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a replay of KR's first post on the thread for those who never went back and looked. The picture won't copy over.

quote:

Kellyroad

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:53 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
I thought I'd give the St. Jude Post another chance, this time with a few photos added periodically. St. Jude parish and school were at one time the largest in the Arch Diocese of Detroit with about 13,000 parishioners and more than 1600 students enrolled in grades 1-8 (circa late 50s-60s). Some of the first and second grade classrooms had 61 students x 4 classes per grade (over 240 students per grade)... I know, I was one of them. 31 nuns, 4 priests and 2 visiting priests tended to the school and parish. The photo below is of Sr. Leonita (1963), the principal 1960-67. A few months ago the Michigan Catholic ran an article about her. At the time she was 104 yrs old living in Adrian..a writer of children's books and a big Red Wing fan.

Please share a few of your St. Jude memories. If you know of anyone who is not a member of the Discuss Detroit Forum and were a member of St. Jude ask them to join. Hopefully, this post will continue on. St. Jude was and still is a rich part of the northeast Detroit community

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - KR - This forum has really pulled so many current and former St. Jude Parishioners together - and it's been an incredible source of comfort for many of us!

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of big sticks, I remember one nun (sorry, can't remember who exactly) was particularly excited about the conversion to the metric system. She was supplied with a meter stick to replace her yard stick. Those suckers where 1 cm thick! The last thing she needed was a weapons upgrade!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsomyak, beg your pardon, it wasn't a weapons upgrade, but a weapon of mass destruction!!!!!!!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, a teacher got ahold of some of the 76 wooden trombones that led the big parade in the play. At least one of those weapons was destroyed went it misfired, accidentally hitting a closet wall instead of a miscreant's behind.

Jcole

Post Number: 6124
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I just wanted to let you all know that my sister came home on Monday and is doing better than expected, so I think all of your prayers did the trick. She still has a horrendous headache, but that will last til the blood absorbs. It turns out she didn't have an aneurysm that was bleeding, but a broken blood vessel. I don't really think that's any better, but for the sake of accuracy...

Again, thank you all for your prayers. I think they worked wonders.

Okie_nana_55
Username: Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember 76 Trombones led the big parade and the Swanee River song, and how we got all dressed up in fancy dresses, and we even wore lipstick.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great news jcole! prayers are still being said.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news! St. Jude comes through yet again!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Hopefully, your sister's recovery will endure. Glad to see she's back home. Prayers continue.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news on your sis, J. Thanks be to God!

Too bad the original SJ thread didn't make it to the HOF. It would have been nice to have these older postings in the archives.

Jcole

Post Number: 6125
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I don't think they can HOF half a thread.