Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Ann Arbor News closing » Archive through March 23, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5419
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Announced to day - the Ann Arbor News will be closing in July and replaced with a web-based media company. There will also e cutbacks at the Flint Journal, Saginaw News, and Bay City Times.

More jobs gone from the ones who need them most - carriers, drivers, et. al.

(sometimes this feels like it's approaching the 'just shoot me now' stage)

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/major_changes_for_booth_newspa.html

(Message edited by lilpup on March 23, 2009)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not a big surprise. I'd be surprised if any small local paper makes it to 2010.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5420
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Losing the papers (and the revenue they generated, even just as convenience offers to get people to go into stores) is one thing, but I'm just not seeing any prospects for replacement jobs in this economy. So many jobs are disappearing so fast and there's no way 'green' jobs will fill the void.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That's not a big surprise. I'd be surprised if any small local paper makes it to 2010."

I think small local papers are the best to survive this. It's the large, metro dailies that are failing hard.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with our forum colleague ^ who adopts a quaint bit o' slang for newsprint as his screen name.

Hope that usage will make it to 2010 and beyond.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think small local papers are the best to survive this. It's the large, metro dailies that are failing hard.

Not if advertising revenues keep falling through the floor. The newspapers, like the auto industry, were in trouble regardless of state of the economy. The economy just pushed up the judgment day by a few months. The little papers will fall because they don't have the audience to compete with the larger names once everything goes digital. It's become too cost prohibitive to produce and distribute a newspaper.

The large metro dailies will probably eventually fall into a mix of niche reporting and expanded local coverage (i.e. the Freep and News might begin to do more coverage in satellite cities such as Ann Arbor, Flint, Saginaw, etc.). Someone proposed on the Chris Matthews Show yesterday that maybe we would see an emergence of something like the Washington Post being the main Washington Bureau for all papers to get information from Capitol Hill. So in this case, the Detroit dailies would be the Automotive Bureau for all papers in the country.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5421
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^and that kind of consolidation is dangerous, imho

The media groups - papers, tv, radio, maybe even some web-based, need to be broken up. They have gotten far too large and uni-sourced.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "I think small local papers are the best to survive this. It's the large, metro dailies that are failing hard"

These papers are barely staying in business. Papers like the Tribune, Oakland Press and Macomb Daily whose parent company The Journal Register recently filed for bankruptcy, have about a 2 week supply of newsprint and can go under at any time.

I wish the best to those employee's of The Ann Arbor News.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The media groups - papers, tv, radio, maybe even some web-based, need to be broken up. They have gotten far too large and uni-sourced.

The problem with that is that they lose efficiencies of scale so their costs go up. Then the cutbacks and closings accelerate.

More and more former paying customers now get their news for free online. The producers of original news content need to make the free riders pay. Advertising alone isn't enough for a successful news business. Either people need to pay for original unique reporting or the reporting needs to stop happening.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to add that I know a number of Ann Arbor residences who cancelled their subscriptions to the AA News a year or two ago because of the lackluster content in recent years. I guess the economy was the final nail in the coffin.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3875
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Agreed. Which is where these online papers like Huffington Post and Drudge Report come in to play. HuffPo has already started moving into localized reporting with their local Chicago news page.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What localized reporting? HuffPost Chicago rips stuff from other publications and re-posts it as "their own." They are aggregators and couldn't possibly provide original content the way newspapers do.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What localized reporting? HuffPost Chicago rips stuff from other publications and re-posts it as "their own." They are aggregators and couldn't possibly provide original content the way newspapers do.

Well, I know that. I'm just saying that this is the direction it is heading. There might come a point where they are not just an aggregator, but also provide original reports. Sort of like what freep.com and detnews.com are right now... Except that they will be profitable, lol.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5422
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The problem with that is that they lose efficiencies of scale so their costs go up."

Until recently the media conglomerates had been making money hand over fist. None of it was re-invested or incorporated into forward thinking - it all went to top level fat cats and some to stockholders (the same is true of many industries that are consolidating, including pharma). Without re-investment into the company there is no future product, but at least with the media there isn't as substantial start up investment required.

In the case of pharma, the autos, other production companies consider how many research jobs have been lost during these consolidations. How many more researchers and more R&D could be conducted for every million paid (and millions upon millions year after year) to the fat cats. How many tech advancements or future products or medical cures haven't been realized thanks to all those mansions and yachts?

Pffft

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's illogical to say that's the direction it's heading. They couldn't survive without the newspapers they feed off of -- for free.

When those newspapers go out of business, the HuffPost no longer has a business model. lol!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be too quick to write off local-focused web publications. There's been a couple of decent ones that have sprung up in the past couple of years. The Ann Arbor Chronicle seems to be the best of the pack:

http://annarborchronicle.com/

http://farmingtonenterprise.wo rdpress.com/

I'm not sure how you classify publications like Metromode and Michigan Messenger:

http://www.metromodemedia.com/

and

http://michiganmessenger.com/

but they do generate their own content without having a companion print publication.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's illogical to say that's the direction it's heading. They couldn't survive without the newspapers they feed off of -- for free.

You completely disregarded what I said. They will begin as an aggregator, and then move on to do their own local reporting. It is much more efficient for advertisers, the people who pay the bills, to pay one large news source on a national scale than to pay smaller news sources for advertising in every market.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Economies of scale don't make for a healthy informational market, contentwise. The public interest will not be well-served.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what will happen with Warm the Children? Our family has served as volunteer shoppers for a number of years, and the A2 News was WTC's local sponsor.

Pffft

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't disregard what you said, I just don't agree with it.

You don't build your business as an aggregator and then years later, after the fact, "suddenly" become journalists. Just like TV and radio, they'd find themselves with a weak website and the readership would abandon them.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You don't build your business as an aggregator and then years later, after the fact, "suddenly" become journalists. Just like TV and radio, they'd find themselves with a weak website and the readership would abandon them.

But HuffPo isn't even solely an aggregator now. They do already have journalists on staff and even had a correspondent at Obama's first address to the nation.

Pffft

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HuffPost is mostly Hollywood wives blogging for free.
The actual journalists posting are few and far between. I don't know anyone of any quality who will give their work away for free.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know two people who work for HuffPo,for money, and good money at that.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"These papers are barely staying in business. Papers like the Tribune, Oakland Press and Macomb Daily whose parent company The Journal Register recently filed for bankruptcy, have about a 2 week supply of newsprint and can go under at any time."

True. But they are also newspapers run by large media conglomerates. I think there will be a retraction to smaller run facilities, and reducing the amount they print. Local weekly newspapers are about the only thing surviving these days (and by surviving of course, I mean hanging on).

Everything that being shut down or moving to the web, are major metro dailies. What was the last weekly to go out of business? Or move to web only? Many have survived without paid subscription since day 1.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked when I heard the news today. If Newhouse wanted to close its papers in Jackson or Flint, I wouldn't be surprised. But A2 is such a hip city filled with intelligensia. Maybe the thinking was that it could fold the A2 News because these readers would just go online to get their news and the low-income, low-education folk in Jackson and Flint would not.
I dunno, but this is scary. If this can happen in a place like Ann Arbor, it's only a matter of time before people in cities like Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, etc. are without a real newspaper (no offense to the weekly shoppers, mind).

Pffft

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette,

Good for them. The majority blog for nothing so that a handful get a paycheck. Great business model.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The actual journalists posting are few and far between. I don't know anyone of any quality who will give their work away for free.

Okay... but... the journalists get paid to write for Huffington Post. Some celebrity bloggers choose to write opinion pieces for the Huffington Post as well. It's much the same as someone writing an op-ed for the Detroit Free Press and also not being paid. I don't get what that has to do with whether or not HuffPo is a pure aggregator service?

Pffft

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All journalists on HuffPost get paid? Are you sure? Not everybody whose copy is on HuffPost has agreed to it.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090323/FREE/903239993

There are links in my story to both Mary Kramer's blog on this subject, and to a Q/A I did today with Steve Newhouse, a member of the family that owns Booth Newspapers.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3881
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All journalists on HuffPost get paid? Are you sure? Not everybody whose copy is on HuffPost has agreed to it.

Yes, all journalists on staff at the Huffington Post get paid.