Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Downtown Indian restaurant closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went to the Web site, and there's a banner saying it's going under. www.sizzlnspice.com.
I love Sizzl'n Spice. Not the best Indian ever, but Downtown NEEDS something other than Thai food. Sigh. The hits just keep comin'. :-(

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sizzlenspice was the WORST run restaurant in recent history.........

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5991
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their naan was pretty good. Damn.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the closest Indian place now? Hamtramck?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How so, Gambling? I've eaten there dozens of times and had nothing but prompt, courteous service. I mean, it wasn't always quick, but it isn't fast food.
Did you know something about the business plan or something that was amiss?

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know how it was run, but the food was kinda tasty and it was nice to have in the city. this is sad!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spoke to the owner. He said lunch biz has been down 60% the last six months. Ouch. :-(

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Says it was voted best indian restaurant ( perhaps by its owner) two years in a row! Buffet $ 8.95 I would have gone there on my visit.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will be open until April 30.

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr, there is an Indian restaurant in Dearborn, The Peacock. Not far behind city hall.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this the place next to the ice cream store and across from the Thai place? Sorry, I'm having super-Alzheimer's tonight and forgetting the name of absolutely everything.

O.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only good thing to come of this news is that the hiddious thing it was housed in can now be one step closer to demolition...in a dream world anyway.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a hideous building with functioning businesses in it over a vacant lot any day.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter--yes, that's the one. The food was above average, and I'm sorry to see it go.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "hideous" building still houses City Slicker Shoes, Pulse nightclub, and the Ice Cream Shop. It is a parking deck as well. Overall, one of the more occupied sites in the city.

While not the prettiest building in the city, it seems a bit premature to wish for its demise. If that corner were to be demolished it would leave only the National Theater. Alone and isolated how long would that building last?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked grabbing the lunch buffet there, but it seemed like they kept raising the price. For that reason, I haven't been since last summer.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ordered carryout from them several times. The portions were large enough, but the food itself seemed rather bland in flavor. My vegetarian friends always did seem to enjoy it. Service for me was always friendly and personable.

Unfortunately, restaurants without a liquor license do not seem to fare well in Downtown Detroit after the lunch crowd. There are a few exceptions, but people like to drink at night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.