Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 22, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not my photo can't tell who it is

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 588
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost looks like these 3 band photos are dated 1970.

?.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they all have a stamp from, I believe Nov. 70. Whoever took them, I think they're from a Halloween party, judging from this one.

hp.gif

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the drink warning for the party?Mickey's,Yo Gleeman great painting all around!! K1 nice photos of them. Whaler made my day with the grey haven icy river shot.but?? OG Is it true the Mark tale was Book Mark and Bush Mark and Hoover sliding his car off the icy road that day he became known as Skid Mark??

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY!.....watch it with that skid mark thing.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard from Jeep Capone. Seems like he's wrestling with the same demons I did in getting on this thread. I know the guy since he was catching passes out of the backfield for Jefferson Jr. High and my money's on him. Any betters out there?drug money1.jpg

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Hoover...When that vid first started playing I was tearing up, all those awesome legends on one stage...It gets kind of scary when you get all those egos on one stage ..your just hoping no one acts like a jerk, I think they pulled it off although Little Richard looked a little concerned about there being a mike for him...I do think he is a(mike) all to himself kind of guy.

Margie

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.dailymotion.com/rel ated/xe5w0/video/x1xcjb_c-jam- blues_music
Check it out F.O.G.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy - thanks for the flashback. I miss those days. :-)

And OCJ was a little more drafty than your pic.

Drummer21
Username: Drummer21

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is great fun to see. I have read much of it and I can add a few things. I was one of the drummers in Stonefront, maybe the original, although I'm not sure about that. Larry, Gary and I go back before the war. They are part of my family.

I've not seen a mention of Sly Stone and Larry Graham showing up at the Mansion. I can assure you they were there. It's one of my favorite memories. Sly was passed out for most of their visit but Larry Graham and I jammed for hours. It was the wee hours of the morning when we stopped and I think it may have ticked a few people off because we played so long and loud. It was the first time I played with a bassist that slapped and popped. Larry Graham was one of the creators of that style. I can't remember anyone else playing that way back then. He opened my head up to a new style of R&B/Funk. It's still very popular and it's been used in thousands of hit songs.

Yes Stnfrnt Robin Zander did help us haul gear a few times. He sang a few tunes with us and we wanted to hire him but budgets wouldn't allow. I had to tell him no and he was hurt buy it and I felt awful having given him the bad news. We all know things turned out well for him. I was happy to see it.

The members of Berkley Medium were Russ Cockrell, Kurt Paulson, Jeff Swanburg, Larry, and I.

Stnfrnt I have a line on Nancy if you still can't find her.

My time at the mansion was short, just a few weeks but it was great. I was a jock who loved playing great music living with hippies. I have great memories from that experience.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Drummer21. This thread reads like a great Novel. (and documentary ?)

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Home Dmr21.....I hope to wee you in June. Hopefully we will generate some new memories for us all.... You are truly a missing link in the Stnfrnt band....Send my best to your family and of course.....Go do good things.....
Luv and Peace

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you don't wee me in June.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ease up there sparky....I'm a gradaget ob da "huvr skule of spelin and tipein'

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interloper here, but maybe this is the bank/bar you were thinking of?

http://aagallery.aadl.org/gall ery/d/46306-2/A2signs392.jpg

And then there is this one
http://aagallery.aadl.org/gallery/d/41390-4/A2signs001.jpg

Lots of good photos of my favorite town there.

(Message edited by Mackenzie68 on March 21, 2009)

Margie

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad you dropped in Drummer...This is all too precious, I just call it that cause Im a girl, it is alot of other unbelieveably awesome and exciting things too !!!
Oh and Gary, I was gonna say, I hope you don't wee me in june either!

Drummer21

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt... That's a lotta loot in that photo. You frightened any takers with that shot.

Gash... I think you will see me in June but that wee thing is a bad idea. Just a big hug sounds good to me.

Old_guy

Post Number: 591
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wee, neo southern slang, a verb. "Sometimes he would wee them and they would wun away."

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash is notorious for getting drunk in the 'wee' hours of the morning in people's basements,(a la Swanberg's house) so I figured he turned 'wee' into a verb and was going to drag Jeep into a cellar somewhere and see what they could do to a bottle of Jack. He was gonna wee him.

Jeep...you are THE original drummer in Stonefront. Rick's brother filled in til I could talk you into coming to Michigan. Remember that bar/lounge place we played in forever (seemed like it)? Hell! Was that a bowling alley?

Drummer21

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt... It was a bowling alley, the 300 Bowl. Ricks girlfriend Sandy and her family owned it. That band was full of fire, I loved it. Fine vocals and great players.

Gary we probably would not hurt Jack very much but a wee would be fun.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Drummer21. Watch for your invitation to the gala event. It should arrive this week.
See you in June!

Margie

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornin yall, Looks like we called it a night around 1:30 last night, That was startin time back in the day...Guess wisdom took over, Well you know even The Queen of Sheba went to Soloman and was so amazed with his wisdom and how he ran his kingdom that she lavished him with gifts...Now we all know that any time a woman lavishes a man with gifts he's got it goin on !!!!!!!
Have a great Sunrise

Firstlady
Username: Firstlady

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldguy are you thinking of the Del Rio Bar it was on the corner (could have been a bank) and had a very cool ceiling made of tin. I also remember Soybean Cellars, The Applerose, The Cottage Inn, The Whiffletree, and the Gandy Dancer. Wonder if they are still there?

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 477
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how I got my Rolex.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FirstLady - I know that Applerose is long gone - the owner Julian Moody is living in Santa Barbara. He's planning to move back to A2 soon. Soybean Cellars is now just a restuarant I think. Certianly not the great food store it once was. The Del Rio has gone out of business but the building is still there just begging for someone to open up another bar. The social experiment of the Del ultimatly failed but it was good while it lasted. Last time I was in A2 I stopped into the Fleetwood diner. I rememeber going there almost every Sunday morning, usually with a mighty hangover and the waitresses were so cool - they just set a cup of coffee in front of you and brought you whatever your "usual" was. Mine was two eggs over easy with toast - I never had to say a thing....Wonderful place. Alas, it's not quite the same but it's worth a visit.
Hertler Brothers is still around - still owned by Mark Hodash (the founder of the Fleetwood diner) The Earle is still there and is still one of the best restaurants in town. Other main street places continue to thrive - many new places have opened too. If you like good food you'll find just about anything you want on Main street.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the vivid flash backs Old guy.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRUMmer21 !! ... let's funk !

Old_guy

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know? Maybe I was dreaming about that bar. I do that occasionally. Actually an old friend is stopping by later today that used to come up there and buy used VW parts and we'd go out drinking. Maybe he'll remember.

I looked through this site and nothing popped out at me. It's lost venues in Michigan. I did remember somebody mentioning something about going to shows at a farm. There is one old venue in here, The Rock & Roll Farm in Wayne. I thought it was funny on one of the tickets for a Labor Day Show, it was a .50 donation and pitchers of beer were ten cents. I wonder if anybody got drunk?http://www.motorcitymusicarchi ves.com/lostvenues.html

Old_guy

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also a listing in there for The Cinderella Ballroom
December 31st. 1971 Featuring Parliament-Funkadelic, The Knockdown Party Band & Stonefront.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aloha Drummer 21 long time no hear from, hope you get alot of wee's in the months to come rr