Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The New Anthem for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This video is from the Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/section?category=videonet work&videoID=1067378750

What do you all think?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the music and video. It has some great images that capture a lot of Detroit's soul.

However, my machine kept sputtering when it was playing. Did anyone else have that problem or is it just me?

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I'm from Detroit or anything, but I still prefer "Stand Up and Tell 'em You're From Detroit"

At least this new attempt is far better than that "Stand Up Be Proud" campaign CBS radio had going on not too long ago. Is it even still going? Either way, when those singers came in at the beginning, it sounded more depressing to me than hopeful.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with most of Fnemecek's first 2 sentences, and had no prob watching the 1:32 promo for both papers . . . twice.

But I know I won't be alone in seeing a huge bull's eye that could shorten this spot's lifespan . . . if it airs beyond the paper's sites and the Detroit Media Partnership 'Trransformation' landing page.

In fairness, I'm holding the arrows briefly here until after acknowledging the well-produced, engaging promo is upbeat and uplifting . . . mostly.

Gotta admire their bravery to use (co-opt?) Solidarity as one of six branding theme words handwritten on palms. That's a mighty hot third rail to touch. Much-debated, no doubt.

Other words, for anyone else whose Player 1.0 sputters:
Authenticity | Performance | Love | Commitment | Laugh

Respect also earned for two out of three longer slogans featured in V/O and visually:
* The hard times . . .
* We're all in this together
* Everything is going to be alright

Really? Journalistically? Reader-service? If we say it (No. 3), it's true? If only . . .

. . . which brings us to the deal-killer: The artist:

This Time is sung and written by 45-year-old bassist Brian Vander Ark of The Verve Pipe, born and still living in GRAND RAPIDS.

That's confirmed on his band's site and IMDB because he's composed over a dozen film/TV songs. He's ID'd shortly after the opening frame (bot. left) in small type -- but not small enough.

Really, DMP? This is how you're going?

Community emotions aren't stirred up enough, so your agency goes across the state to snub Detroit's dozens (hundreds?) of homegrown, home-based singer-songwriters who regularly record national ads . . . and may include your actual readers? Or did.

Seems that needlessly paints a bigger target on the slick spot that's your new public face, David Hunke, president and CEO, Detroit Media Partnership:

Is this Dave Hunke, president/CEO, Detroit Media Partnership?

(Message edited by RealityCheck on March 24, 2009)

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we stop fellating ourselves with cheap, false populism and fix the very real, very fundamental problems with this city and region so that Detroit is a better place for our children and grandchildren.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Benfield. As these things go, it's catchy and positive and in the right spirit. HOWEVER... Not to sound alarmist or anything, it's kool aid in light of the fact we've got (and have had for decades now) some pretty serious assed $h!t to figure out if we're going to even think about being relevant any time this century.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Jenny can give incentives to the Music Industry to boost our economy.

(sarcasm)

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People, people . . . Look at the video, not the thread title, please.

With proper respect to Izzy, this is not a "New Anthem for Detroit" first and foremost. Those friendly folks at the Detroit Media Partnership who produce The Daily Show with Incredible Shrinking Newspapers didn't make a minute-thirty PSA for the Metro Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau ...
(. . . which itself goes out of state to spend some of filmmaker-attracting promo $, but I digress.)
No, the DMP spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on this music vid - can a brother get a guesstimate range? - to promote itself at a time of . . .
. . . what't the word again? . . . CHANGE? SOLIDARITY? AUTHENTICITY? COMMITMENT? LOVE?. . . Ah, now I have it: TRANSFORMATION.
As they admit . . . ah, I learned long ago to substitute acknowledge (thank you James E. Stewart) ... as they acknowledge right under the video player:
quote:

This Time: A First Look
Check out our video leading up to exciting changes at the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News.

Remember if you raise a glass of candy-oolored water, Readers:
We're all in this together

So, I'm with Benfield on "how about we stop . . ." y'know, what he says so colorfully up there ^.

(Message edited by RealityCheck on March 23, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.