Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Where can I shop in/near the medical center area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wakeupdetroit
Username: Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any decent supermarkets/grocery stores in the medical center area? I'm in the area a lot and would like to find a clean store that sells good meat and produce.Do any of you know of any?Where do you shop when you are in that area?

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University Foods is probably the best option in the area. It's near WSU on West Warren. Food Pride is another grocery store, closer to the medical center on East Warren.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been there myself, but I've heard good reviews on this site about University Foods on Warren and The Lodge.

I would also recommend Zaccaros for upscale groceries (if they're still open).

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zaccaros is down for the count, but try University (Warren and M-10)

Also, for a small selection of organic produce try Goodwells next to Avalon (they also have good sandwiches)

I also heard about a new produce spot in brushpark, but have yet to check it out personally.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone.
Andylinn do you happen to remember the name of the spot in Brushpark?

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you asked Andylinn, but the place in Brushpark is on John R and Adelaide (I believe). I haven't checked it out, but you really can't miss it. There aren't many stores over there and they have a huge sidewalk sign. hope this helps

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greg & Bo's Produce is the market in Brush Park. It is really small and they only carry a limited number of items but it's OK. I finally made it back to University Foods and was quite impressed. I go there when I can, they close a bit too early for me. I don't buy meat at supermarkets unless I just don't have another choice. The produce so far has been pretty good.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to the gratiot meat market at Eastern Market if you want great, cheap meat.

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot Central at Eastern Mkt during the week, although produce is limited to one stand and not that great looking. Best produce is at Honey Bee at Bagley and 17th/18th...the buyer formerly worked at Westborn. Great quality. Not exactly midtown but worth the drive. Getting slightly more 'anglo' friendly. Found Mushroom Gouda Burgers made up in the meat case yesterday. And they will cut thicker chops and short rib is you request.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a market on Warren, and John R that's pretty decent.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ombili and Lugotown for the name/location of the Brush Park produce shop. BTW Lugo I stoped in University Market today and I was sort of impressed myself. The store is very clean. They offer a wide selection and the staff was quite friendly. It's nice to go into a market that seems to know what customer service and courtesy is. I'll check out the Gratiot meat market on my next trip to the market. I just love shopping at the Easter Market.
Mushroom and guda burgers Detroitbob48209 ? You're making me hungry.
Tetsua I don't recall seeing a market at Warren and John R. What's the name of it?

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you need to know is Eastern Market on Saturdays.

Get all the shit you need for 1/3 the price.

Seriously though, I lived here for 5 years before I started to go to Eastern Market on the regular. Now its an every Saturday occurrence and I wish I had done it years ago.

In full disclosure, I still go to Sam's club like once every 6 weeks to get some meats and other things but %90 of the stuff I eat is from the Market. There are some really good deli's down there as well. plus its close to the medical district.

good luck

Lugotown

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honey bee is very nice, too. if you love eastern market already, you'll love their meat market. you'll find your favorite vendors and only go to those for certain things. they are always helpful, quick and answer your questions if you're not sure about stuff. i also enjoy the conversations with other customers asking how to cook this or that.

it's amazing the change that has occurred over the years at eastern mkt. i've been shopping there since i was little and it looks great and seems like more and more people come every year.

i was also wondering where the market was at john r and warren. i can't picture anything there.

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^

Its a ghetto Spartan store. They almost never have the shelves "stocked". Its all rag tag products as well. I bought beer there once, cans, half of them had a leak in the top. WTF!

Most of Detroit has written that place off...oh, and its Warren between 75 and john r.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^A former Farmer Jack's, totally ghetto now...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i was also wondering where the market was at john r and warren. i can't picture anything there.

The cross street is St. Antoine, not John R. It's on the SW corner in a strip mall. I think the name is "Food Pride" or something like that.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its a ghetto Spartan store. They almost never have the shelves "stocked". Its all rag tag products as well.

quote:

A former Farmer Jack's, totally ghetto now...

Big_baby_jebus and Detroitej72 obviously haven't been to Food Pride recently...

I shop there on a regular basis, and it is very clean, very well stocked, and features prices that are comparable to the large suburban grocery chains. I constantly recommend this grocery store to my friends and neighbors.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your a hop skip and a jump to Hamtramck. Where there are markets on every corner.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market and Honeybee just south of the train station has great produce.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hop on I-94 and you will be at the 8 Mile/Harper Krogers in 10 minutes.

Lugotown

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk-
i often want to shop or eat in hamtramck but don't really know where to go. i was telling my friend that i want to go there and just start checking some places out. they do have a lot of markets but which would you highly recommend for produce and/or meat?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh Valley on Campau for fruit and veggies. Next door is Polish market and I always get there rolls 3 for a $1.00 and they are always warm and what seems like a whole Aisle for just Pickles! Al Harmamain Market on Caniff for veggies, juices, spices and agreat Olive Bar and accross the street is Bozeks market with a great butcher/walk-in meat locker. Kowalski's on Campau north of Holbrook for there Buttermilk rye bread. Its endless there are great places in between and I havented even touched all great places on Conant. Smoked meats at Kopytkos on the south end of Campau. Perogies at Stans on the north end Please come on and explore!!!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4421
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I lived in Midtown and had a car, I'd be in Eastern Market frequently. Sure there is no one-stop shopping center, but that's part of the fun. And if I didn't have a car, I'd probably invest in a bike with a huge basket.

Lugotown

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk, thanks!! It's always a little easier to have something to go on. I have driven through there many times and just had no idea of what to check out. I'll be exploring this week.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

King Cole Foods - Clairmount and Woodward. Old store burned down 4 years ago. The new store has been kept VERY clean and sale prices yield good deals. The owner is always there and even the local firehouse shops there on a regular basis.

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Mexican town is a place I have long wanted to check out, as far as grocery shopping goes.

Anyone have a good recommendation besides Honeybee?

I'm gonna take $50 and go there this Saturday, need some advice.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where I can get organic lemons? I'm making a batch of limoncello.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051 - thank you for the post! I've always wondered what the place was! I pass it every now and then and I just assumed it was some sort of a liquor store. I think I might check it out sometime, it's pretty close to me

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big baby Jebus: E&L Super Mercado is also great - it's located on Vernor, far end of Mexicantown. Mexicantown Bakery, (also on Vernor) is definitely worth a stop. Before I went vegan, I loved their flan and tres leche cake.

Det313grrl, I am pretty sure that University Foods has organic lemons. And maybe Goodwells - they carry a small selection of organic produce.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: