Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 21, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1K...yep thats it...wait until a weekend night and shoot the inside...all floors..the thing about that outdoor mural was, it was painted with blacklight paint-looks different at nighttime...

I left S Michigan yesterdy aftrnoon like a spring day. When I woke up at Torch lake this morning there was 3 inches on the ground, and still snowing...

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman..That is Beautiful.Wow

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, nice art work!

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the lead Rick, Two of the many reasons I love Bonnie are that In 91 she became a co-founder of the Rhythm and Blues Foundation and works hard to raise awareness and money for musicians who were pioneers in the music industry, but were left destitute by unjust record deals and lack of health insurance. She also brings those overlooked heroes of R&B on the road to open for her, showering them with a deserved spotlight. In 95 Bonnie set up a program with Fender and the Boys and Girls Clubs of America to develop the Music Education Program, providing disadvantaged youth access to instruments and instruction.
Long Live Rock & Blues

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, those murals have been catching my eyes for a long time. Little did I know you're responsible. Yes, they look completely different at night. My pictures don't do them justice. They must be seen in bright, shining, daylight and on a nice, clear night to be really appreciated. I did make it into the basement bar when I was there. I tried walking around the basement to see if any of it was familiar from the old Blind Pig days. I remember seeing The Vipers, Boogie Woogie Red, Steve Nardella, etc, etc, in that tiny, cramped basement space. It wasn't familiar and the bartender followed me, thinking I was a homeless person looking for a place to crash. He must've mistaken me for OG.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple more pictures of Gleeman's work. Beautiful murals!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, are you responsible for this sign?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Circus photo, you can barely see the skyline mural in the background because of the light angles. It furthers Gleeman's point that because the mural was painted with blacklight paint, it looks different under different circumstances, ie; night and daylight.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 575
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why, but for some reason, in the back of my mind I keep thinking that the Blind Pig was a wine bar in an old bank building. Obviously I'm wrong. Does anybody know what bar that was in Ann Arbor. Early to mid 70's. It wasn't a huge bar and as I remember it, they used the old vault to store all the bottles of wine. It would have been within stumbling distance from the other popular downtown bars of the day. I know they only sold wine though. Any help here?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, I'll post the exterior shot of the Blind Pig in a few minutes. The outside looks almost the same as in our days.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exterior of the Blind Pig. There are minor differences from the 70's. A door's been added and the loading dock on the side which used to be the 'Treehouse' custom woodworking shop, is gone. Sometime in the the mid to late 80's, the Treehouse closed and the room they used for woodworking was converted to a concert room. It was a nice room for shows. If my memory serves me correctly (not likely), the concert room had lot's of nice woodwork, which I believe was left over from its Treehouse days. Maybe you remember the Treehouse. They did lots of jobs around A2 and always had very unusual projects entered in the Art Fairs. My favorite was one they had on the old parking mall (East University Street) in the 70's, alongside the Engineering Building (the tunnel), near the Diag. Their project was a very tall, about 2 stories, teepee made from beautiful hand crafted wood spines.

Old_guy

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the bars I remember from the 70's.

j.gif

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a side view of the Blind Pig where the loading dock for the Treehouse Wood Shop used to be located at the 8 Ball sign. Sorry about the photo quality. I'm still learning my new camera. If I could get that darn Detgrrl out of hibernation, she could give me some pointers.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, that looks like Alky Traz. Oh no, you weren't that guy that slept on the floor of 3 Cell, B Block, were you?

Old_guy

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's definitely not it. From what I've read, the Blind Pig was a furniture store before it was a bar. Maybe Gus or A2DJ could help me out with this one. We tipped a few together in the A2 bars. Maybe I'm just dreaming about an old bar that never existed.

Old_guy

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, this is kind of what everything looked like to me back in the day.

vw.gif

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 559
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1klsn...nice work on those photos. I believe you when you say photos don't do them justice but still....that's some mighty fine, mighty fine artwork on the building. After scoping those murals out, we go over to the art museum, right? Maybe hit your favorite deli on the way over? Sign up now, sports fans, while there's still space available on the bus. Not to worry, Bushmark, no handcuff anchors or leg restraints on this bus.

Old_guy

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

b.gif

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Breeze I remember. Especially after my brother and I drank from the bottle of ice cold Spanada, with essential vitaminnys, he gave us at the free concert. What a trip!

Old_guy

Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember this day with Neil.

np.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An there was gi tar players.

gp.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bd.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ob.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 585
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.gif

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bigb, I posted our favorite photo of President Bozo on the non-Detroit link here at DY. Check it out for comments.

Old_guy

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fp.gif

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SR...who's the band in OG's post#583. You took that photo, right?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushmark....just drop a couple Owsleys and save yourself all that work.

Old_guy

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Smiley.

sn.gif