Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Ilitch beautifies downtown with parking lots » Archive through March 20, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one building I'd like to see Ilitch actually do something with would be the Blenheim. I think its days are numbered too, though.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the price we pay for allowing stadiums downtown and sponsoring major sporting events.

"Be careful what you wish for."

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the work going on the Detroit Life Building going Mr. I?

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is everyone on this board so concerned AFTER the fact that these buildings were torn down? The wheels were set in motion long ago and no action was taken to try and stop this. Spouting off on a forum doesn't do any good.

If you want to make a real difference, get involved with trying to save the Lafayette Building. It is currently on the chopping block, bids for demo are out. Not to mention, it is more significant than these sh1tty little buildings everyone is b1tching about.

Speaking of being proactive, how about the Broderick Tower? There's a building that's not sealed up and crumbling more every day.

What's your take on that Rjlj?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you, Norwalk.

Is Ilitch playing the two sites (MCC vs Fox) to finish the site assembly for an arena?

What parcels does he still need behind the Fox?

Would a seller be more willing to sell in this market???

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood in Corktown was continuously and relentlessly destroyed for Tiger Stadium parking up until the last days of its operation, and now the stadium itself vanishes. This is the fate of the Central Business District as long as this mentality remains amongst our leadership.

This mindset is so completely outdated that people from other cities take it as a given that since it's no longer 1961, the city should not vanish to store more cars. But I don't know anybody who thinks otherwise who is in or running for office. Cockrel has lost my vote, and I like him as a person more than Bing based on my brief encounters with both of them.

What is Dave Bing's stance on all of this?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!

"Demolishing a parking garage for..... more parking"!

Only in Detroit.

<313>

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the real reason for the demo is for a new arena!

<313>

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Ilitch does not need taxpayer money to tear down buildings for parking lots.

If he tries to get his hockey arena to be publicly financed, and is successful, I will be outraged. Outside of infrastructure improvements, there shouldn't be a cent of money spent on a new hockey arena.

I would rather they renovate Joe Louis Arena if public money were to be used.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone knows this is all a big conspiracy to eliminate downtown Detroit so they can build a fancy "downtown" in Troy. :-)

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get the outrage here. People slam Matty Mouran (sp?) for not knocking down his POS buildings, but when Illitch does, people get all pissy. It seems to me this is laying the groundwork for the new arena, which would be great.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, this is better than what Matty Moroun does.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4591
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't get the outrage here. People slam Matty Mouran (sp?) for not knocking down his POS buildings, but when Illitch does, people get all pissy. It seems to me this is laying the groundwork for the new arena, which would be great.

Yeah, but it begs the question:

If you're going to knock everything down to build an arena in a sea of parking (a la the Palace), what's the point of using your most valuable land to do it?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since the beginning of time, downtowns were always clusters of arenas. No, downtowns are not traditionally places of business or commerce. Take a look at all the least successful cities: New York, San Francisco, London. None of these has stadiums downtown. They just have a lot of strange buildings where people do commerce and business. But that's not important. Really successful downtowns have at least two stadiums. Detroit could really become a great city if we had THREE stadiums downtown. That would be wonderful. That way, people can drive in, park, and avail themselves of all the wonderful things inside -- overpriced drinks, fatty foods, loud, distorted music, oh, and some sports games -- without ever having to walk down a city street! So let's knock down these old, unimportant buildings, even if Ilitch doesn't pay a penny for it, because we need stadiums, just like all the great cities in history!!!

SATIRE :-) SATIRE :-) SATIRE :-) SATIRE

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't get the outrage here. People slam Matty Mouran (sp?) for not knocking down his POS buildings, but when Illitch does, people get all pissy."

You haven't been paying attention.

1) Few people here want Manny to demo MCS. They want Manny (and Mike) to stop following the route of demolition-by-neglect.

2) Ilitch isn't using his own money to demo his own buildings. I don't want to see him demo'ing useable buildings. But if he's going to demo buildings, he should do it on his own dime.

3) Ilitch is indiscriminately knocking down buildings. Some are POS (often due to Mr. Ilitch's neglect of them) but others are not. None of that matters to the Little Caesar.

"well, this is better than what Matty Moroun does."

How? At the end of the day, Ilitch's demolitions have created a wasteland of parking lots destroying the urban fabric of huge chunks of downtown. How is that better?

(Message edited by Novine on March 19, 2009)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my city but I swear this is the most bassackwards city in everything it does compared to other cities.

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Film Exchange Building on the list?

Retroit

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Detroitnerd! Buildings (and their parking lots) that are used only occasionally shouldn't hold large areas of downtown hostage during the non-game days or the off season.

NO SATIRE :-) NO SATIRE :-) NO SATIRE :-)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. No downtown stadiums. Downtown Detroit was a sea of activity for the 30 yrs before Comerica opened.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since our tax money or tax incentives is being used for billionaires, I'm wondering if we have a voice on stopping them destroy our city. It should be a law, if you tear down you must build ......how is this a economic boost for us. I hate the illitch's.....no walkable downtown with a wannabe thriving foxtown district.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It should be a law, if you tear down you must build ......

I fully expect to see new parking attendant sheds to be constructed.

Retroit

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gthomas, I believe you do have a choice: Vote for businesspeople - they get it!

You might be thinking "Ilitch and Maroun are businesspeople. Do we really want people like them running the city?" But, on the contrary, business people, if elected to office, will not be enamored by, or otherwise hoodwinked by, one person's attempt to monopolize large portions of the city. A true businessperson understands the value of competition and the benefits of a plethora of commercial enterprises.

Or you can keep voting for a bunch of nincompoops who couldn't even run a hot dog stand. :-(

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a fun fact: I was told (by a non-corroborated source) that the parking garage soon-to-be knocked down was the first of its kind in the nation. Not sure if that's true or not but the person who told me works less than a block away from it. I'm most sad about the building on the corner of Elizabeth and Grand River. Did anyone else notice that that particular building was in pretty good shape? The windows looked new! All that's left of it now is a gapeing hole in the ground where the foundation was. GRRR!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you're going to knock everything down to build an arena in a sea of parking (a la the Palace), what's the point of using your most valuable land to do it?"

Most valuable land huh? It's hard to guess what the most valuable land in Detroit is but I'll guess that it wasn't on Cass south of I-75.

"At the end of the day, Ilitch's demolitions have created a wasteland of parking lots destroying the urban fabric of huge chunks of downtown. How is that better?"

What urban fabric was torn down? A bunch of vacant buildings that 99% of the people on this site never went in unless it was to "urban explore".

I think a better place could have been found for Comerica Park. What they tore down there was still useful but this is just junk.

I think all of the critics of Illich and Maroun and others who don't do what you want with their properties should put your money where your mouths are.

You should all pool your money and buy some buildings. Maybe the Book Tower, Broderick Tower, Whitney Tower, anything.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think all of the critics of Illich and Maroun and others who don't do what you want with their properties should put your money where your mouths are."

We already did. Ilitch was tearing his buildings down with taxpayer dollars. Feel free to defend the corporate leeches stealing from the taxpayers. I bet your standing behind the "retention" bonuses for AIG? As for Ilitch and Moroun and how they neglect their properties, most of us have to keep up the properties that we own, whether they are homes or businesses. Why should these men, who are among the wealthiest in the Detroit area, be exempt from those rules? The rules don't apply to the rich?

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILLITCH = THUG, GANGSTER, CROOK

SCUM OF THE EARTH, scum that we must SWEEP AWAY

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bigger problem that I have with Illitch is that of all the parking lots that he owns, he won't attempt to build a parking deck, reducing the need to have so many surface parking lots.

The two lots across the street from the Fox Theatre are perfect examples. Do fans have to actually see Comerica Park to go to it? A parking deck on those lots with some ground floor retail facing Woodward would be ideal.

Also, the area between the Fox and the State Theatre could possibly be used for a parking deck. In addition, the old Madison-Lennox site should have been a parking deck instead of a surface parking lot.

If Illitch can get the state to fund him money to tear down buildings for parking, then the least he can do is spend his own money on building parking decks instead of a sea of parking lots.

Dj_tom_t
Username: Dj_tom_t

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...if a new hockey arena is the goal, let's hope it's integrated into the neighborhood the way comerica park is. hopefully the parking situation will be handled intelligently - no "sea of spaces" around the place.

one of the best situated arenas i've ever seen is the verizon center in washington dc - totally integrated into the neighborhood there, it adds to the street level nicely. they built some of it underground - maybe that's the ticket here too? just a thought.

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, while I agree that the two lots across the street from the Fox Theatre are an eye-sore, there's no way that anything is going to be built there as long as Ilitch's offices are directly across the street. I've heard him in interviews say how much he likes looking out his window at CoPa. At best, we can hope that he turns the parking lots into a park or a Detroit sports walk of fame or something.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that both the Gem Theater and the Elwood Bar were moved due to their supposed displacement by Comerica Park. However, both of the former sites are simply being used as surface parking now by Ilitch. THOSE BUILDINGS DIDN'T HAVE TO BE RELOCATED. Ilitch simply wanted clear sight lines to his ballpark from Woodward, with parking out in front of the stadium. So, what did we get? The suburban strip-mall paradigm, as applied to a downtown sports field. Nice.