Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » CPOP Closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPOP Gallery may be closing in June according to an article in the Detroit News.
http://www.detnews.com/article /20090320/ENT01/903200325/1033 /ent/Detroit+s+C-Pop+art+galle ry+expected+to+close+in+June

It's been in it's current location for nearly 10 years. Have you been? Ever buy anything there? What's your take on it?

It may have a better chance of working in Royal Oak or Ferndale considering the reluctance of some folks to go down into Detroit, if the owner decides to reopen in the future. Of course, our local and national economies encourage putting any discretionary income into savings not paintings.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there for art exhibits, and the Haunted Tube. I've always enjoyed myself at CPOP ;)

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there and chatted with Niagara several times. In addition to her cool art she also painted the boys and girls bathrooms at CPOP.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the location in the city is the problem. The problem is the economy. There are lots of galleries in the city, and often people interested in the type of art C-Pop deals in would hardly be put off by the city. And I must say for a gallery a decade stint is a pretty good run.

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It started in Royal Oak and there has been a For Sale sign on the building for the last year. I thought they were selling the space, not the business.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my little brother was best friends with the owner's son growing up. the family is wonderfully kind. mr. thewes is a great man.

Dannyv

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ironic that CPOP would be having difficulties while the MOCAD, which is only a block away, seems to be doing well. It might be comparing apples and oranges since they each have different purposes and clientele. I'll be sorry to see it go.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Thewes? Was his Dad one of the founders of Compuware?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 837
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny that doesn't really work as a comparison because MOCAD is a museum and is run on donations and grants. CPOP is a gallery and there for is run like a business and makes money on art sales, and parties.

Dannyv

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 6nois, it's an unfair comparison.

E-detroit, you're right about Tom's Dad.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fozzy 3 - My friend works there, he told me that the owner of the building is trying to sell the building, but the gallery itself is not being sold or moving.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.