Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Broderick tower website has been updated « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Broderick Tower website has been updated. The website now has floorplans and more information such as interactive maps and photos.
http://www.brodericktower.com/

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 625
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, those units look slick. I dig the office shot with the arched window. Finally, they came out with the money shots.

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scrollable map under "location" is beautiful. you can get a movable panoramic view with labels when you hover your mouse pointer over each building.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wonder if they will ever open? I have noticed a huge increase in families moving into the Kales bldg.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Cool!! I like the 180 degree view! And it labels buildings and such!

Shadesofbleu
Username: Shadesofbleu

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he has that banner on the side, and the Leeland remodel is going nicely. With the Leeland, I think it was a good idea to hire a good management company, require all employees to live in the building, and turn all the hotel rooms into market rate apartments. We will be moving in there to get a better feel for the area and establish work before we buy a house in the immediate area.

It looks like young Higgins is finally growing up, sniffle.

It also looks like it might be a mix of rentals and condos, on the Broderick web site.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the economy and housing market suck. I pray to Gabriel Richard that it happens.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVE to live there!!! woo.. gotta get a job first

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that this project gets completed. I'm still in college and I plan to move downtown after I graduate. While I would move into Kales or the lofts of Merchant Row, I'd much prefer the Broderick if the price is right. Look at that view! I wonder when the new expected completion date is. Before the site was updated, it was early 2010. I doubt they can gut the place and clean it up in a year.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best part of all is that ridiculous whale mural isn't represented on the website!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Best part of all is that ridiculous whale mural isn't represented on the website!"

Huh? you prefer the ads over art??? ok

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would argue that mural is little more than an advertisement for Wyland's commercial merchandise. He's like an aquatic Thomas Kinkade.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4412
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, new website...maybe he got some stimulus money haha.

I'd take it as a good sign but last time I saw the building it look more unsecured and had more blown-out windows than ever before.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It did't work. Wyland I've never heard of Verizon yes!!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice web site. If only construction starts soon. I got a good laugh about the part in history where it mentions how the building has been "preserved" for redevelopment since the closing in the 1980's. That was a good one. I also like how the renderings didn't remove the building that fell down next the the the tower that was supposed to be a part of the project.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That whale mural looks like something you would find on the cover of a trapper keeper from the early 90's.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, those two- and three-story penthouses ROCK.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 836
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct that saintme I am pretty sure I had a trapper keeper with that whale mural on it. LOL. I love trapper keepers they are the birth of OCD for an entire generation. None the less you may be able to call it "pop art".

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great website design too, by the talented Dave Paris.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That whale mural looks like something you would find on the cover of a trapper keeper from the early 90's"

Hahahahahaha. I like the whale mural, but that has gotta be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm impressed

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyors doesn't like it. The people on the website don't look like her.

Seriously, it looks nice but I'll believe it when I see it.

I also think it would be nice if some of these these sold for around $100 ft2.

Is the Book Cadillac even %50 sold?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that website! Maybe I can afford 5C.;)

Wolverine

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That whale mural looks like something you would find on the cover of a trapper keeper from the early 90's."

Best thing I've heard all weekend

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Extremely nice website. I really like the interactive aspect. Also, the pictures of downtown are beautiful.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope they are going through with this for real this time I would love to live there if given the chance. The website looks much better this time around.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks great, but lets be honest, this will NEVER happen! This building will sit empty for another 20 years!

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see moving vans pull up. I'm still waiting for the Farwell Bldg to be completed! ;>)

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am cautiously optimistic about this project going forward, I think that the new website (especially it being this nice) offers some real hope that the renovation will take place.

IMO, a redevelopment of the Broderick Tower could be almost as important as the redevelopment of the Book Cadillac. Yes, I understand that the WBC redevelopment was monumental. Nevertheless, a Broderick Tower redevelopment could be nearly as significant as the WBC because of its location on Woodward (w/potentially M1-Rail coming on-line around the same time), its proximity to CoPa, and its visibility from many vantage points within the city. When I bring many of my friends (either out-of-towners or suburbanites) downtown for a Tigers' game or for a late-night delicious chicken shawarma at Bucharest, they almost always inevitably ask about the Broderick and if any redevelopment plans are under way for that building.

Let's continue to keep our fingers crossed on this one.

Heedus

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, speaking of new apartments in the City, does anyone know how the Fort-Shelby apartments are doing?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just out of curiosity, why would higgins spend the time/money to update the website if he has absolutely no intentions of moving forward with the renovation?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep the city off has back perhaps?

I can't imagine they are too pleased with his empty building falling down on woodward, scaffolding sitting their doing nothing, and the joke of a bar in the ground floor that is a mess, with the Final Four folks coming.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 722
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize that he also owns the Farewell Building and the Leeland Hotel

All properties are quite a mess. . .

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just out of curiosity, why would higgins spend the time/money to update the website if he has absolutely no intentions of moving forward with the renovation?

Because he's an idiot.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins = Motown Construction Partners??

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a lot cheaper to update a website than to actually doing any sort of substantial work on the Broderick Tower. Helps keep judges off your back, too.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it will happen. I've contacted the them through the website, and although this could just be what they are saying, they did say it was going to happen - even with the recession hitting so hard.

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins no longer owns the Farwell...I think it's city owned, but I'm not sure.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know the history, so my question is why is the city on his back in the first place? Who is he placating to by updating the website and why?

www.DetroitArmy.com

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago Detroit in essence reformed its blight court so it could go after slum lords more effectively. I think this was shortly before the Super Bowl. Higgins was one of the people they were applying pressure on to the point a judge basically told him to do something with the Farwell and Broderick or sell them. About that time is when the redevelopment signs and websites began to appear. Higgins even talked his way into getting approval for the advertising over the whale mural so the money could be used to help facilitate the rehabilitation. No actual renovation work has ever been done even though those banners have been up there for years. If there is a silver lining to this situation its that at least our tax dollars aren't being used to level this building for a handful of parking spaces.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is indeed a very well designed site. I noticed many of the bedrooms in the smaller units are not along the exterior and have no windows at all. Is that unusual in high rise living? I would find it rather stifling.

Wolverine

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming the walls don't completely reach the ceiling and act more like partitions like in a loft unit to meet code.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Monica Conyors doesn't like it. The people on the website don't look like her."

You know, those renderings of the two views of the building ARE filled with crowds of the whitest people I have ever seen. They must have grabbed the "Downtown Troy" stock photo CD when they were inserting shmoos in the renders..

lol

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

lol

Hey - that building fell down, are they going to rebuild it ?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a nice website anyway.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL did they ever clean up that building that collapsed? I recall that the rubble was sitting there for a really long time.

The way the city responds to this stuff, it won't belong before we have this...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when they start updating the building, lets talk

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4414
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is the city on his back in the first place?"

Because it's a giant empty building sitting in a most prominent location.

I won't criticize putting all the white people on the website from the obvious PC standpoint, but honestly it can't be good for business if potential minority residents are put off by that shameless marketing tactic. Let's just hope people want to live there so bad that they see beyond the developer's small-mindedness.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say, the website looks good.

Skippers rule, me thinks.

When I see the work start (and completed), then I'll believe it!

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice "Idiocracy" screen shot The Jesus.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take 33-S please

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6253
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B_b_j... is that the southern Broderick penthouse?

Then your view would be like DYES poster Ryan Southen's awesome view from the 33rd floor corner balcony (there's 4 small corner balconies on this floor, only balconies available in the building)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/127755604/

Check out some of his other Broderick Tower views... AWESOME!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/tags/brodericktower/

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^^^

Yep that would be the one.

I'm familiar with this view as well, nice shots though

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/d ecay/ond-0010brodericktower.ht m

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6262
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly they did a horrible renovation of the top way back when... removed the cornices and the "Chippendale Highboy" style top of the building.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, for god's sake, smoke coming out of smokestacks indicates factories OPERATING. duh. :-)

Personally I would love to see the Broderick happen, but if Higgins is involved with it I won't hold my breath. The building has been vacant as long as I have lived here, since 1980.
Does anyone actually know of a development project that he has ever completed?

Skippy313
Username: Skippy313

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the one who asked. Fort Shelby apartments are done and being leased out.

Heedus

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skippy313, thanks for the response.

Actually, though, I was wondering if many of them have been leased. They look beautiful. I just didn't know if they were a little too upscale for the current economic environment.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: