Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 20, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dancer Dan was pretty good at that Mickey slippin stuff. Ask Nancy, if we can find her.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've retired. It's hard enough finding something to slip myself anymore.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bushmark....remember that summer that you and Gus hijacked a truckload of Hoover's "Mushroom Red"? Ya, you guys knocked off about half a load and decided you were going to build a replica of the Garwood Mansion. Maybe you should have "un-crinkled" the blueprints. Just a thought.
hey gus, where's the pipe?

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Dancing Dan? I have tried to find him but have had no luck. Has anyone ever heard from him since the garwood?

Bentspur

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this helps his last name was Graybill.

Dkbradley
Username: Dkbradley

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, Gleemn, thanks for correcting my memory: Black Sabbath, not, Deep Purple! Markley, I think it was 5 not 10 thousand, but if you want to exagerate, go for it. I would say it was my most exciting moment as well, but we got so high on the way there I couldn't see the crowd. For the record, John Collier filmed Stonefront's set that night; I never saw the results, but I wonder if he still has the film. I subscribe to Rhapsody and have access to it's 5 Mil or so tracks, so I am listening to Peter Walker's "Echo of My Soul" 2007 flamenco/raga album as I'm writing this. He sure got around in the 60's! - all the folkie hotspots - Cambridge, the Village and even gypsy southern Spain. Eugene knows how to contact him as, I believe, he still has a role in managing him. To you guitar players: anyone heard Jeff Beck's "Nadia" (2001) - a raga-type thing (not written by him) utilizing quarter tones and other extraordinary bending techniques - Unbelievable! It strikes me as the best guitar work I've ever heard, but I'm hardly an expert.
Peter Walker

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

red pop faygo , thanks Ruth
I just shared that with our daughter,
she had never seen it ... dang I new every word..

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, post #4219, pleeeeeeasse, not at this time of the night. I'll be rolling around on the floor. I won't be able to sleep. That's f*+ck*@ng hilarious!!!! Did you dig it out of the internet or did you create it? Thanks for keeping me up and laughing.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I downloaded the clown picture of ykw. I'm going to print it on real good photo stock and frame it. Thank you.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, thanks for the current photos of Keelson Island and the Lawrence Fisher/Krishna/Bakhtividanta house. I went to Nicholson Terminal and Dock this past monday night. I was downriver for a wake so I decided to stop and see the Bob Lo boats. Unfortunately, it was too late to take pictures. The boats are pretty much the same as in the pictures posted here at DY this past winter. Shrink wrap around the Columbia is in shreds and the Ste. Claire is open to the elements. There's a freighter in lay up at dock side but I couldn't see the name. I'm sure it's listed at BoatNerd. I'm going there again during daylight. I noticed there's now a locked gate across the road to the Detroit Bulk Dock, formerly the Great Lakes Engineering Works, where the Edmund Fitz was launched. That might prevent us from venturing over to slip side this summer.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a couple of Gallup Lake pictures for current and former A2'ers. Gallup Lake is really just a wide part of the Huron River. It was also the sight of the legendary Free Concerts in Ann Arbor, also held at Otis Spann Memorial Field, across the road at Huron High School.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and I were talking last week. He mentioned a couple of things about the free concerts I'd long forgotten: Mountain View All Natural Ice Cream and their vendors. People circulating about with buckets collecting spare change to cover the concert costs. The water troughs installed for drinking and used like bird baths for bathing and cleaning. The OD tent up on the hillside among the trees. I'm sure we'll come up with more.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took pictures of the Blind Pig today. I couldn't get inside, so exterior only. I got some of the exterior murals/paintings. Maybe they're Gleeman's work. I'll post them soon so he can comment.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any fish in Gallup Lake?

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going down to the Firefly, I'm gonna join in a rock n' roll band, gonna get back to the land and set my soul free.......
Happy first day of Spring

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yah DK, J Beck has always been an innovator..and can fingerpick the hell out of a guitar....the Beckola album w/ Rod Stewart is a classic- I'm going to have to look for the"Nadia"..

Stn, Gallup lake is full of fish, and a rare off-breed they have Bushmarkian hair around the gills...

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally...

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally is right....A week ago Sunday I had 8 inches of snow in my back yard, followed by 2 days of temps in 70s, followed by 3/4 days of lows in the teens, followed by 3/4 days of rain and temps in 40/50s, followed by the last couple days of 70+, and today they tell be its the first day of spring and temps will be around normal(??????) the only thing normal I know of is the setting on my washer/dryer....NORMAL my ass!

Bentspur

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Gash. Same thing here. I woke up this morning and have a 1/2" of snow on the ground. Temp is 30 Where is the Global warming. I'm all for it.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive - On that GWB pic, just Google Bush clown on images, and all kinds of them pop up.

I wish I had Photo shop, my imagination would run wild.

Thanks, Gnome !

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Freeking Cold again in Detroit

old tech pics 683

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler....Let's see if I got this right from left to right, Poop-deck-Paul,Milky,?,?, Johnny Ginger and Hoover....

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 466
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very funny

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clown girl
Hey Mark,,,, remember me?

Whaler

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1Kielsondrive...did you ever go to any of the parties on the Bob-Lo Boat circa 72-75

old tech pics 660

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler...that's a great illustration! I love it! Would you actually board that thing for a cruise? Still, got to file that one.

1klsn...what's your take on that monster?

Whaler

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry ...I Saw the Colombia last summer Engines Do Not Work..But She Still Has a Fine Frame

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I booked Gary Markley and the Sunspot band on that boat.