Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Dave Bing and Sharon McPhail? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Bennett's latest blog post on FireJerryO/DetroitUncovered:

Bing picks McPhail, Beckham

According to sources mayoral candidate Dave Bing has begun the process of selecting his cabinet over a month before the May 5th election for voters to select the next mayor. Sources report that Chalres Beckham, his campaign manager will serve as Deputy Mayor while Sharon McPhail, former candidate, role is unclear. McPhail served as corporation counsel under former mayor Kilpatrick. McPhail will announce her endorsement of Bing next month.

http://detroituncovered.com/

He also recently wrote that former Kwamunist and EB Cummings' underling Robert Dunlap is a leading candidate to become police chief in a Bing administration. And we all know that former Kwamunist/Matty Maroun's new BFF Horace Sheffield is already publicly in Bing's corner.

Any of this starting to raise the eyebrows of anyone else?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4311
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prospect/possibility that Bing could be as receptive to Matty as Kilpatrick would definitely raise a red flag, for me. I'd really like someone to ask Bing (before its too late) where he actually stands on issues. lol Particularly issues of the DIBC "enhancement" project, the MCS, Riverside Park, etc. You know, it's just a hunch, but I'd suspect Bing wouldn't think these issues to be big deals. I mean, what's his take on preservation, in general, the incinerator..?

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 20, 2009)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry..I don't care what Bing's platform is at this point.
Any candidate who plans to employ McFailure in any capacity above street sweeper is nuckin' futz..add the fact that he enjoys the (unofficial, of course) support of Monica Conyers, Martha Reeves, Barbara Collins, etc, and he should definitely be off any THINKING voter's list..

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6826
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Dave Bing has Sharon McPhail anywhere near his campaign I think it's toxic. She's still got Kwame smell all over her from the trial and as if she doesn't bring enough of her own questionable behavior into the mix. If Bing decides to ally himself with this old regime mentality, his credibility as a leader to affect change is seriously compromised.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing's problem is, who else is out there that he can call on to help him govern the city thats not tainted by KK's scandal or working for another candidate. I think Bing's learning curve will be huge and the people he's picking up from the KK regime presents a political problem for him.

The debate coming up is key for Bing. He was already blasted by the Freep for trying to "run out the clock". A few hours later after the story came out Bing finally agreed to debate Cockrel.

I suspect, depending on the format of the debate that Cockrel will expose Bing as lacking specifics on how he will govern the city.

Bing has crafted a wonderful PR image all of the years he has been in Detroit. I'm interested to see if that image can be maintained under intense questioning. We saw some cracks earlier with that degree issue.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, he just destroyed that wonderful PR image, that took years to build up. McFailure will make him a Failure.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's be clear, this is if this is true. This is DetroitUncovered, after all. Not everything they report pans out. That, and DetroitUncovered is decidedly anti-Bing.

I'm a bit skeptical, myself, because I don't see how Bing could be so green to city politics that he'd select Sharon "Kiss of Death" McPhail to head up anything. I could see him accepting her endorsement, but he's got to know that she's radioactive, right? I mean, one of this guy's selling points is that he's some mastor delegator that knows how to pick winners, right? Let's just say I'm skeptical of this news until it happens. Skipper's Rule applies.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 21, 2009)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've stated what I was thinking, Lmichigan. That site is more often wrong than right.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are who you associate with. This stuff is key to how people look at you. Cockrel looks more like a guy who is in charge.
Time for Bing to step up The game is on the line.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.