Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Be like me! A positive Detroiter's perspective « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9655
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a nice family and grew up in West Bloomfield. I went to a school that probably has a much larger budget than the one you went to, and didn't have any drug pushers or gang members in it. I am a white christian male, but all that aside...

Be like me!

Have a positive attitude! That's what it really takes to succeed in metro Detroit, a POSITIVE attitude and a strong work ethic. Just work really hard and you'll be fine!

Now, I went to a very expensive college, and had education bonds my grandparents had put aside for me to help pay for it, but even if you don't have that, just try hard and you'll be fine. Stay POSITIVE and COMMITTED. Don't give up. The CHALLENGES will make you STRONGER. I wish I had more challenges, because then I could be even stronger than I am, but unfortunately most everything was handed to me on a platter. I am SO jealous of the rest of you who get to WORK HARD and build the STAMINA it takes to succeed.

Sure, some vampires will come out of the woodwork here and try to say things like "hey, my family is dirt poor, I have no father, I grew up without a single positive role model, I'm a minority with a long history of discrimination, and you have the fucking gall to tell me how to succeed in life?!". Well, just ignore them. They just can't stand seeing other people happy, and want to drag them down to their level, when the truth is they just aren't POSITIVE and COMMITTED enough to achieve SUCCESS!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was that really necessary? I think you've played this think out a bit too much.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, all of your advantages sure didn't help you when it to comes to creating interesting posts. Maybe you can do something more stimulating, like sweeping your driveway.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing.

Hello, boys and girls. This is your old pal, Stinky Weaselteats. This is a song about a whale. No! This is a song about being happy!

That's right! It's the Happy Happy Joy Joy song!

[chorus]
Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Joy Joy
Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was very mean-spirited.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum needs to take a valium.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3702
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's No. 62 on the list of "Stuff White People Like"? Survey says!

http://tinyurl.com/5f4hhk

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6135
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely done, JL

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with being positive just don't be a psychophant of all things Detroit.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just don't be a psychophant

Is that a cross between a psychopath and sycophant -- an antisocial yes man, as it were?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A psychotic elephant?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haikoont,

In all honesty, yes.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, whatever you say - now leave me alone.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that didn't get it: JohnLodge was attempting to make fun of another forum member (Doma?) who attempted to start an inspirational thread on how he, a 27 (?) year old was trying to keep a positive attitude in order to survive the current downturn in the economy.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get it now - thanks. The other thread is titled "Keep your head up Detroit......a young guys perspective." which I had not read.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

JohnLodge was attempting to make fun of another forum member

Well, JL got someone to read the original thread who hadn't yet read it, so maybe you should start looking at things from a more POSITIVE perspective.

quote:

I get it now - thanks. The other thread is titled "Keep your head up Detroit......a young guys perspective." which I had not read.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, you forgot to tell us how CLEVER you are and how RESOURCEFUL you are, nor did you tell us what your income is. Are you making a SUBSTANTIAL living?

What about the enormous project you've been working on?

Back to the drawing board, JL.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9656
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those "positive, optimistic" motivational speaker posts just get so old. And then we aren't allowed to criticize it without being called an evil malcontent, or fictional blood-sucking monster? If you are one who enjoys people blowing sunshine up each others asses all day, perhaps Detroit is not for you? Maybe California would be a better fit? We're not necessarily negative people, but we aren't a bunch of sun-bleached airheads, either. That's just how it is. Gritty, dirty, and sometimes unpleasant. Just how I like it. And I was actually raised in a shitty trailer park. I exaggerated for my parody. Me and Kid Rock and Eminem, just a bunch of Southeast Michigan trailer trash. Yet we are so proud of Kid Rock and Eminem, aren't we? Because they are "Detroiters" with a gritty background who tell it like it is. Just don't try doing that around here.

I say celebrate the Detroit cynicism! Expect to be smacked down when you spout a bunch of namby pamby bullshit. That's who we are, and there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong at all. Our problems involve serious deep-rooted racism and being an industrial city in a post-industrial country. It has nothing to do with us not having positive attitudes.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9657
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, sorry Thames. I'll try to do better next time. Great post on the other thread, BTW.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post JL - very uplifting and empowering! People who are realists and see both sides to issues are SO negative and that makes me sad!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3704
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a weird little shitstorm this is. Thanks for starting is JohnLodge. I do think that whole "up with people" stuff is ineffective and out of place here in Detroit. My friends who move away say, "Detroit is so negative." I agree, though. I think we have to see the bad things or else we're just putting on blinders.

Anyway, all that Panglossian, Pollyanna stuff deserves another board.

>Discuss Detroit
>Connect
>Non-Detroit
>HOF
>Classified Ads
>Full-of-shit daydreaming about how great everything is in Detroit

:-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this, the best of all possible worlds.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9658
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, "panglossian" followed by a quote from a 1700s German Philosopher. Good thing there's Google.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, some people just can't let someone say something positive without becoming a complete ass on a public forum.

You should be proud JL, not only did you make yourself look as smart as a 5 year old, you really showed the "transplants" what pure Detroit ignorance is all about.

Great job you proved the rest of the us wrong.

stay positive you piece

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9659
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not worried how I look, Jebus. I've been here a long time. Even before the 10-2003 displayed under my name. The people whose opinions here I care about and vise versa are already well established.

There is no inherent merit in "saying something positive". Not when it completely ignores reality. But the cheerleaders will all come to scold and scream when you criticize it. That's fine, that's what a discussion board is for.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3706
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I KNOW! I try to be positive all day long. No matter how many homeless dudes I see shitting between cars, no matter how many times I see people littering, no matter how many times people cut me off and flip me the bird, I'm still smiling! Nobody's gonna get me down! You can rob me at gunpoint, but you can't steal this smile off my face! I love everybody and everything.

Stop the hate! Some people out there are filled with hate, and hate is wrong. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT! :-)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 617
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if someone doesn't delight in making fun of a forum member's sincere, well-intentioned post, then perhaps Detroit is not for them and they should move to California? If they don't feel charmed by how witty you think this post it, that means they enjoy "people blowing sunshine up each others asses all day"? Well, that sounds kind of stupid.

As a lifelong Detroiter, I understand that life in Detroit is gritty, dirty and sometimes unpleasant. I understand the reality and don't have foolish illusions about it. It's not about not seeing the bad things. I just don't feel like applauding someone who so unnecessarily feels compelled to mock what someone meant to motivate others.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9660
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So if someone doesn't delight in making fun of a forum member's sincere, well-intentioned post, then perhaps Detroit is not for them and they should move to California?

That's not what I said. If you dislike my post, that's fine. Feel free to disagree and comment. Intentions aren't everything though. People were completely vilified on the other thread for disagreeing with it. Where's the respect for their opinion? So my post was a little harsh, it was also extremely exaggerated and an obvious parody. I've called nobody a name, though I've already been called several in response.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points, Downtown Lady. We may not be showing good manners by expressing ourselves this way, but try to think of it as an opportunity to discuss where a normal upbeat attitude ends and delusion begins. Sorry if we sound like the stoner kids in the back of the classroom, though. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5412
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Wednesdays were Nail the Newbie days.

Retroit

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as I have often been considered a "naysayer" about Detroit, it may seem hypocritical that I would defend Doma. But I think the distinction needs to be drawn between giving a realistic assessment of our city and giving a hopeful, motivational (and perhaps a bit idealistic) assessment of one's place in that city.

Everyone should try to make the best of the hand they've been dealt (even the privileged - they can fail too, let's not forget). We need to support each other as individuals, otherwise our "shitty" city will just keep getting shittier.

Johnlodge, I know you were just trying to be funny, and I really do enjoy your posts, but I believe you have just as much genuine personal motivation as Doma. A lot of folks in Detroit don't have that. They need hope. What can you offer?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is no inherent merit in "saying something positive". Not when it completely ignores reality. But the cheerleaders will all come to scold and scream when you criticize it. That's fine, that's what a discussion board is for.

Johnlodge, you just summed up my dubious existence on this forum. Here since '99 and still skeptical. Some might say cynical, but...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9661
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points, Retroit. What can I offer those who don't have as much motivation because of their personal situations? I really don't know. For some, motivation would sadly not be enough, given what has to be overcome. I think that's what makes some of us upset when those situations are trivialized.

One thing is for sure, a post on an internet forum isn't going to do it. But maybe Cub, and his efforts to provide positive role models to the next generation who may not have them, that may go a lot further.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Not when it completely ignores reality."

Each is in control of their reality. Just how I see it.

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, thanks for the laugh. Something there needs to be more of here.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Each is in control of their reality. Just how I see it.

So you don't believe in physics?

Retroit

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I say celebrate the Detroit cynicism!

I can get behind that. Fuck off. :-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - on post #9656, I whole heartedly agree. When you do all the right things, and still fall behind, because of "management" or "trade alignment", or "politics". Then to have a twenty something in a third generation family owned business tell us what the "real deal" is, makes me want to puke.

Tell it like it is, JL. And let the poster read on here, everything that people have to deal with, crime, cancer, loss of family and friends, personal health problems, loss of employment, etc. I'm a surviver, and always have been, in situations that would have taken out lesser folk.
But I don't need a rosy picture painted for me. If I wanted that, I'd turn on PBS, for pledge year.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry...be happy!!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7918
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =02zOk_LQCkY

It will bring peace to your life.

Hee-heee

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.