Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » L. Brooks, Bob Ficano and Mon Con on Michigan Matters Sunday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

97.1 played some clips and it sounds like it's going to be a real embarrassment! These idiots fighting like five year olds is the standard jive you get out of them on these shows. I feel like this region has reverted back to the late seventies/eighties mentality,that at one point was healing well.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that at one point was healing well.

What point was that, exactly?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the clips were a hoot. Brooks being... well Brooks, slamming Ficano about Cobo. Ficano is whiny, Monica claims that Black people can't be racist, etc.. I'll watch. I like trainwrecks.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica only states that because she is one herself. Most racists do not like being tarnished by the name regardless of the truth.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I felt the city vs suburbs issue was calmed down a lot in the late nineties and early 00's. Now it's back to the way it was when I was a kiddie.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, Chitaku, I hope it isn't getting back to that. Don't mistake the rants of a lunatic or two for what's really going on.

The Cobo debacle bothers me less than it bothers a lot of other people because I've always felt, through this whole debate, like we were paying way too much attention to a big convention facility in a region that is - let's face it - not in the least a convention Mecca.

Where the truth really comes out is in things like: how good a job did we do with the Super Bowl and the NCAA regional semis; how good a job will we do with the 2009 NCAA Men's Final Four; will we come together on regional transit; can we find some set of industries to replace automotive and convince them to come here.

If we can move forward on some of those things, than I don't really give a jumping fuck about the ranting heads on the Sunday talkies. I think of them as irrelevant, then every weekend they open their mouths and prove me correct.

Kraig
Username: Kraig

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it true that Wayne County is going to take 16,000,000.00 a year from the cigarette tax that is being applied to the County Debt and applying it to Cobo and another 9,000,000.00 is going to be applied from the Jobs Fund? That's crazy, I don't remember seeing that in the legislation.

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the show hasn't aired yet, but you can watch the segments on the web: http://wwjtv.com/shows/detroit .shows.michigan.2.7080.html.

The Ficano-Patterson bickering wouldn't be all that bad if it didn't paint an ominous picture of what is to come with the Cobo authority (provided that it survives the legal challenge).

Mon-Con's continued race-baiting is just absolutely unbearable.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ficano-Patterson bickering was hilarious because it was obvious that they were enjoying it. I can see both viewpoints as viable.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Matters could be a great show if it had a great, or even good host. It really needs help.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black people, as a people, can't be "racist"
Racism is a system of oppression

Oppression = Privilege + Prejudice + Power

I don't mean of one individual, but of a whole race, in our case one group of people, white people, having privilege and power at the expense of people of color.

Although some individual black people might be called "racist," it is not accompanied by society wide institutional norms. So for the most part whites are privileged over blacks, even though Monica Conyers has way more money, privilege, and power than I do (being a white male).

Also, please take into consideration (no matter how absurd the city council may behave, and yes they behavior is uncalled for) the 50 year long legacy of white supremacy and the almost all out war waged on the city by the suburbs, as a result of the fear of loosing their white privlage.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If black people can't be racist then what is the appropriate term for a black person who dislikes and/or engages in discrimination against white people solely because of the color of their skin?

Stosh

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W_Chicago: I heard that same inane argument on the radio the other day. The caller called it "prejudiced" versus being racist.

quote:

Oppression = Privilege + Prejudice + Power

Same tactic being used presently in Detroit. Time of a racist tactic being used doesn't equate to an excuse for short term racist behavior.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've stated this in the past on this site to some 'basic-white' people, and I'll state it again....

'TRUE RACISM', 'WHITE SUPREMACY', 'WHITE-SKIN-PRIVILAGE', or what-ever term you choose to use, is defined and exist ONLY when a group holds a DISPPROPRTIONATE share of WEALTH, POWER, AND CONTROL, over another group, and impose those very resources to MARGINALIZE, EXPLOIT, EXCLUDE, SHUT-OUT, PASS-OVER, TERRORIZE, DE-RACINATE, DEHUMANIZE, DISCRIMINATE and SUBORDINATE the so-called 'lesser' group.

In amerikkka', the 'white collective' who has historically used wealth and power to CONTROL and EXPLOIT, etc, Black Africans living in amerikkka' is the sole possessors of the reprehensible act defined as 'TRUE RACISM'!

Historically, the 'white collective' and their agents were able to control the progress of Africans in amerikkka' by denying 'our' opportunity of employment, educational opportunities, business resources, on down to a place to eat, sleep, and travel.

Absolutely NO GROUP of Black Africans holds the power or exclusive control of resources to the degree to which we can stifle, undermine, subvert, exploit or marginalize the authority and progress of the 'white collective'!

So then, by that explanation, 'WE' CANNOT BE RACIST! 'We' can only react and alter the conditions to which 'TRUE RACISM' exist. What most 'basic white' people claim as racist, is simply a natural reaction to the entire bulwark of white dominate racism and white supremacy!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL...please check in!

Stosh

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Absolutely NO GROUP of Black Africans holds the power or exclusive control of resources to the degree to which we can stifle, undermine, subvert, exploit or marginalize the authority and progress of the 'white collective'!

So then, by that explanation, 'WE' CANNOT BE RACIST!

Racism by any other name is just that. Justify it any way you wish. A "natural reaction is just what keeps racial relations in the sorry state you seem to wish to perpetuate.

No amount of concessions or considerations by "basic white people"would pacify or satisfy you, would it? Your sorry ass will not be satisfied until every White person is eliminated from your sad, myopic little world. Let's hear how you propose to end racism? Huh? Concrete answers?

You can be, and are, racist,proving it by your hatred every single day, every single post. No good can or will come from you.

(Message edited by stosh on March 21, 2009)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, well Mr. Soul ...explain this incident if you can....A few weeks ago a male of Bengali extraction was walking down Jos. Campau when he was followed by a few young members of your so called village. First they intimidated the above mentioned individual by mockingly doing a uvalating chant ( the sound some Muslims make when praying or chanting ). Then they proceded to beat the man senseless. Fortunately, they were arrested and will be charged with a hate crime. Is this typical of being incapable of racism or is it just a way of welcoming one of a different ethnic make-up to the hood?

By the way...Is BlackquaMan still in the Black Justice League you founded?

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy stated,
quote:

A few weeks ago a male of Bengali extraction was walking down Jos. Campau when he was followed by a few young members of your so called village...

....Then they proceded to beat the man senseless. Fortunately, they were arrested and will be charged with a hate crime...

...Is this typical of being incapable of racism or is it just a way of welcoming one of a different ethnic make-up to the hood?

I'll allow you the benefit-of-the-doubt that you are being facetious, relating toward the above quote...

You essentially self-answered your naive state in the post by claiming that the perpetrators were accused of a 'Hate' crime.

There is no moral or functionally equivolence between institutional racism and individual bigotry, bias or hatred.

Institutional racism/white supremacy is distinguished from the 'bigotry' and 'hatred' of 'I-N-D-I-V-I-D-U-A-L-S' by the existence of systematic doctrines, forces and practices within the institution to which holds a direct consequence of disadvantaging certain groups of people!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding members of the BJL...please check in!

Stosh

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Institutional racism/white supremacy is distinguished from the 'bigotry' and 'hatred' of 'I-N-D-I-V-I-D-U-A-L-S' by the existence of systematic doctrines, forces and practices within the institution to which holds a direct consequence of disadvantaging certain groups of people!

quote:

So then, by that explanation, 'WE' CANNOT BE RACIST!

Yes, you can. Bigotry, and hatred are all symptoms of racism. Institutional and individual racism go hand in hand. Justify it all you like.

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless, L. Brooks Patterson is a great guy who is not afraid to tell it like it is!!!! He has done a great deal for not only the city of Detroit but also for the state of Michigan.
He is in no way a racist!!!
Too bad he does not run for mayor of Detroit...just think of the good he could do for the city.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The arrogance, amnesia, and ignorance of history impedes the 'basic-white' understanding that racism/white supremacy and the prejudice of some Africans in amerikkka' are not one of the same affair. Africans in amerikkka' have a reason for our feelings about 'basic white' people that is predicated upon the history of how we were treated by white people.

'TRUE RACISM', reinforces the legacies of slavery, semi-slavery, Jim Crow, lynchings, Black coding, sundown laws, exclusionary acts, convict leasing, over-representation in the criminal system etc.

What historically, does Black prejudice/or as 'basic-white' people claim, 'Black racism' reinforce?

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL...please check in!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DE-RACINATE", Blksoul_x?

That is what I would like to do to you! DE-RACINATE you!

Stosh

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What historically, does Black prejudice/or as 'basic-white' people claim, 'Black racism' reinforce?

Of course, historically, black people have been and probably still are, somewhat oppressed. I can't deny that fact. What I object to is the blanket statement that there are no black racists. Of course there are. The denial of the simple fact that some black people are racist flies in the face of common sense.

There are all types of people in all the races on Earth. Racists, fools, poets, dreamers, lovers. Look to the best in all people if one can find it. Denying the humanity of all and demonizing some is truly not the way to go through life.

The'basic-white argument you present also smacks of racist codespeak as well. Lumping all members of a race into a 'basic-white group implies that you feel that all white people are alike and share the same mindset. Some might, others may not. It's all up to the individual, as you said previously, in the case of the unfortunate Hamtramck immigrant.

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Racism is a system of oppression

Wrong. It is an instrument of oppression, just as sexism, ageism, or any other "ism" you choose.

And not all acts of racism are linked to oppression, as Mrs. Conyers has so artfully portrayed during her political career.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX..go buy a dictionary.
Then go buy a thesaurus.
Learn to use both of the above.
Next, go find a person who is both literate and friendly to your cause, and ask him to proof-read your posts before you hit the "enter" key and stick your foot in your mouth.

It's quite clear that you do not know the meaning of about 40% (conservative guess) of the words you type.
You and Monica BOTH need to go look up the meaning(s) of the word "racism."

YOU my friend, are very much a racist. It becomes more apparent with every word you post..

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrâ-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\

Function: noun

Date: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

from m-w.com

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Main Entry: prej·u·dice

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial

Date: 13th century

1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights ; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims

2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

from m-w.com

So it seems to me that if a white person prevents a black person from getting hired simply by being black, for example, the white person is judged racist.

If a black person does the same thing to a white person, then according to Merriam-Webster, the black person is racist as well.

It seems simple enough for any thinking person to determine which way racism has flowed in America. I myself have not seen too many instances of black people saying just because I am black means I am better than any other collective group.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX,

You may beleive that you and MonCon have licenses to run around spouting off ignorant garbage while being impervious to the label of 'racist', but that doesn't mean what you do isn't completely tasteless. And all labels aside, understand that many of us look at you just as unfavorably as we do white racists and view you both as an impediment to progress.

You can sit there and claim to be opposed to institutional racism, but I guarantee you that going around acting like you does nothing but reinforce it rather than undermine it. However, I take you for the type that just likes to bitch a lot and wouldn't be deterred by the knowledge that you're hurting your own cause.

Stosh

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the reasoned approach Robtruth laid out as an argument. I do take issue with the definitions presented, though.

quote:

Date: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

I really didn't think that in today's age that anyone would think that one racial group or another is superior, then I recall certain recent genocides around the world, in Europe (Bosnia), in Africa (Sudan,Mauretania) and in Asia (Tibet, among others).

I feel that the above definition needs to be tossed into the dustbin of history. That smacks of something Mengele would have approved of.

quote:

I myself have not seen too many instances of black people saying just because I am black means I am better than any other collective group.

Conversely, I can't say that white people have stated that they are superior to other ethnic groups because they are white lately either. But there's obvious exceptions to that as well.

Personally, I'm all for the second definition as THE definition of racism. Clear cut, and to the point. Racism is prejudice, prejudice is racism.

(Message edited by stosh on March 22, 2009)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Racism.
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

You rather conveniently left "usually" out of the definition you chose, and you completely omitted the third definition, which is germane to this discussion.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Stosh:

Racism is prejudice, prejudice is racism.

This is completely false. A straight man can be prejudiced of a gay man even if both men are of the same race. Racism has many causes and is not just rooted in ignorance of those of a different ethnicity. Racism is not prejudice, although it may consist of prejudice, and prejudice most certainly is not racism.

Stosh

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine your'e right. Let's not use the word racism at all then. It's ALL prejudice.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.