Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Russell Industrial Center Open House this weekend March 21-22 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The artists, craftspeople and tenants of the Historic Russell Industrial Center are having their Spring Open House and Sale this weekend. Hours are Saturday 2pm - midnight and Sunday noon-4pm.

If you aren't familiar with the Russell, it is home to scores of artists and entrepreneurs, and is one of Detroit's creative hotspots.

The artists are mostly gathered in Buildings 1, 2 and 4 of the seven building complex. Some of the studios that will be open during the event are:

Mark Arminksi
Audrey Pongracz
Oneita Porter
SLAW
Earth Studio
Diane Lorick
Joe Crachiola's Half Moon Studio
Robert Stewart Photography
Mike Kelly
Megan Jones/Archangel
Motor City Candleworks
Andy Kem
Earth Studio
...and many, many more.

The Detroit Industrial Projects Gallery will be hosting an opening reception from 6pm - 10pm Saturday of Projections an installation featuring Steve Coy, Deon Foster, Dave Sanders and Cedric Tai.

Michigan Basement will be performing Saturday at 9:30p on the 3rd Floor of Building 2.

In addition, the Russell Bazaar, located in Building 3, will be hosting a Creative Arts & Antique Festival, and an exhibition titled "Detroit: A New Beginning" featuring the artist BELOZRO is featured in the Gallery at the Bazaar.

Originally built as the home of J. W. Murray Manufacturing Company, construction of the complex began in 1915 took 10 years to complete. It was designed by famed Detroit architect Albert Kahn. Take advantage of this opportunity to explore one of Detroit's great places.

The Russell Industrial Center is located at Clay Street and I-75 (can't miss it!), 3 miles north of downtown.

For more information on the history of the Russell, and to get directions, follow this link: http://www.ricdetroit.org/?id= history

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibraltar Trade Center downtown.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gibraltar Trade Center downtown.

yes, the russell bazaar is just that, BUT please, please, please! do not group the artists that have been in the russell complex for years before the bazaar opened in with the crap going on in there.

the open house this weekend is for the artist studios

i am one of the artists above, and i can't tell you how frustrating it is that the noteriety the artists of the russell have built up for the place is being co-opted by the bazaar and the crap that people are selling in there.

please don't confuse booths in the bazaar like the one hocking dildos and beanie babies with the quality painting, printmaking, photography, glassmaking, woodworking, metalworking and sculpture studios elsewhere in the complex. two completely separate entities that just happen to share a building complex

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 19, 2009)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 19, 2009)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, gravitymachine.

Cigarsmokinclown
Username: Cigarsmokinclown

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks gravitymachine! I too am an artist here at the Russell and agree with you 100%. Some of us have worked pretty hard to help the image of the Russell and turn it into something positive for Detroit. It's a shame that the bazaar has turned out to be what it is and in reality threatens to undermine what this place has the possibility of becoming. We hope those truly interested in the art community in Detroit come out and support the tenant/artists by attending their open studios this weekend. Be sure to visit ALL the buildings: one, two, three and four, DIP Gallery and all the other stuff going on in addition to the bazaar.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long has the flea market section or whatever you want to call it been open?
I stopped in this past weekend and was scratching my head wondering how the people running the booths can make any money.

My one suggestion is that they need better and more signs in the parking lot directing you were to go.

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious too. I haven't been to the bazaar but I have been interested in the art community. Could someone that is a tenant there explain more about it.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't help myself.

It started out as a great idea and is now overshadowed by what it has become. Kind of like the city itself.

You guys should get together and BUY a place where you can do what you do and keep it that way.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I couldn't help myself.

It started out as a great idea and is now overshadowed by what it has become. Kind of like the city itself.

You guys should get together and BUY a place where you can do what you do and keep it that way.

i understand, i tend to sound off on the bazaar at any opportunity myself, i'm just trying to separate what's been going on in the complex for years, even before the current ownership (boydell corp), from their newest brainchild, the russell bazaar. now there is a small gallery space set up in the bazaar, and i think there will be some decent work in there this weekend from what i've seen, i also know that some of the other artist in the complex are trying to get some of their work in there too. however, i regard my work very highly and frankly intend to do everything i can to make sure my image doesn't get mixed up with and cheapened by being associated with the bazaar, including never showing there.

the idea that you speak of (artist community) has nothing to with "what its become" (the bazaar). like i said before the loose group of artists is a completely separate thing from the shitty flea market in the next building over. the bazaar is just riding on the noteriety that the previous and current artist/business tenants have built up.

roundinjp, the art community there is simply several artists that have rented studio space in the same building(s) by word of mouth or otherwise, that have formed friendships, alliances, or collaborations by purely organic means. for many, its just a place to work, and their work is displayed elsewhere off premises. the management doesn't have much to do with any of this other than offering some fairly cheap, raw space to use as you see fit. though i will give them credit in that they've really stepped it up this time around (these open houses have been going on for years) in terms of promoting the event.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 21, 2009)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 21, 2009)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 476
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Artists open house 2 years ago. I was impressed but was disapointed by the turn out last years open house was a different story it was over the top! fantastic turn out and I am really looking forward to attend this evening.It really is a great event.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent 4 hours Saturday wandering the RIC, enjoyed it all. Bought a print from Audrey Pongracz. Loved the stuff by Andrzej Sikora. Got some delicious home-baked macaroni-and-cheese from some ladies in the Bazaar.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.