Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Irish Mafia is annoyed that Martha Reeves hasn't done a Free Concert in GP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given that all the money that drives the city of Detroit comes from the suburbs (the most important of which being Grosse Pointe), and all the money that is usurped from the suburbs allows the teachers union and administrative officials of the Detroit Public Schools to live a comfortable life without regard to nuances like the education of children, IM is disturbed by the lack of free concerts provided by Martha Reeves in Grosse Pointe.

"Martha Reeves needs to know that Grosse Ponte is the reason for Detroit's existence" said Irish, "Given my strong ties to this charity (the City of Detroit) that supplies Ms. Reeves her salary, I will have to give her a call and let her know of our displeasure"

"While ignorance is often excused in these instances, she has been in a position of authority long enough to understand who is funding the city. Its time for her to do her part and use the unique skill sets that she has to pay homage to the central funder of this city. I am sure that once she has had an opportunity to think about it, she will understand the error of her ways."

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha would ask "how many Grosse Pointer's actually live in Detroit?"

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh?? Is this supposed to be satire?

Dysfunctional as it is, Detroit subsidizes Grosse Pointe, not the other way around.

It has to care for all the region's flotsam and jetsam, while GP keeps all its money for itself and doesn't fund any regional needs.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Detroit subsidize Grosse Pointe?

Last time I checked, many GPer's work and play in Detroit, not he other way around.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford answered your question.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has to care for all the region's flotsam and jetsam, while GP keeps all its money for itself and doesn't fund any regional needs.

Sorce?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure what you mean. You think Detroiters don't "work and play" in GP? Most of the businesses along Mack cater to a heavily African American crowd. I doubt most live in the Pointes.

And that isn't my point. My point is that the ridiculous hundreds of jurisdictions in the area force all the regional problems/responsibilites to Detroit.

How about GP does its fair share, and take in 10,000 poor, ignorant, uneducated folk? Then let's see how their schools perform.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It has to care for all the region's flotsam and jetsam, while GP keeps all its money for itself and doesn't fund any regional needs."

I get your point but it's factually wrong on several levels. First, much of the social services that Detroit city government provides is done through money that comes from the state and federal government. The same with funding for Detroit Public Schools. I'm pretty sure that the GPs pay out more in taxes to Lansing and DC then they get back. The GPs also help fund regional resources like SMART, the Zoo, the Metroparks as well as Wayne County government. Again, I'm pretty sure that GP pays in more than its residents use those services.

The one point I think you can stand behind is that whatever financial contributions the GPs make, they don't have to deal directly with the impacts of the poor, homeless, mentally ill, etc. living in their communities. If that's your point, there's no denying that. But to claim that the GPs don't contribute financially isn't supported by the facts.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if we can get our farmers to till that vacant land in the Pointes.We could have a food co-op.Of course ,I don't want the public to fund this.Farm-Aid in the Pointes starring Martha Reeves.See how these threads all tie together...
I got to get more sleep.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Martha did perform for free at a recent gathering honoring the Republic Windows sit-downers and the original Flint sit-downers. And it was at the IBEW local in Detroit. I'm just sayin' ... :-)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: