Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 17, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's his thing...just his way of making sure they're all paying attention. Nice sermons.

I agree the interior is incongruous with the exterior now. But a lot a money and planning went into the new design, and I appreciate what is there now. There is more than enough of the old left to satisfy my thirst for the nostalgic, and I understand the purpose and benefits of the changes.

Glad your house is owned again, and hopefully someone nice will move in next door.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6091
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really glad they didn't change the ceiling. It made me feel at home. Also, seeing the 'Saint's windows' around the top brought tears to my eyes. I remember them like old friends from when I was really little and had a hard time sitting still. I would look at those windows, and be still.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... those, and the arches, pillars, doors, statues, baptismal font...and don't get me started about all the neat things in the Sanctuary, where apparently one isn't supposed to go snooping with cameras in hand.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - No basement trip for me! It was just something I caught a gander at wile quickly saying a Hail Mary and backpedaling out the door. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere Sister Ellen Richard might still be. Aaahhhhh! I don't really believe in ghosts, but hey why take the chance.

Jcole

Post Number: 6093
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the new baptismal font right when you walk in the front doors of the church now? Is the old one still over on the east side by the St. Jude Chapel?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, The baptismal font at the front door is the old one. The room where it used to be on the east side is now a confessional room. Just outside is the crucifix that used to hang above the old altar.

M, I would think there would be more of a chance of ghosts being upstairs, than in the basement. Still, a full tour of the place is on my list of things eventually I would like to do. Besides, I'm sure the deceased nuns who once resided there, and their deceased parents, are all saints now.

Mkap

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K -Ghosts up or down... I'm still not pressing the issue.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny, M.

Sounds like all were in good spirits on Saturday. I've been to the food pantry, but I've never been to a social function in the convent.

I look forward to meeting you at a future event.

Mkap

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back at you 7K.
When you get your tour, take plenty of pics, and look for the shadows in habits that may appear.

(Message edited by mkap on March 16, 2009)

Jcole

Post Number: 6094
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I meant was that it's in a new spot, no longer in that side room.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys will have to take lots of pics at the bowling function for me.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we can stream the video to you, Z.

Jcole

Post Number: 6095
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I'll make the bowling thing. I'm not sure I can bowl 3 games, being as how I haven't bowled in over 5 years now, and I wouldn't want to get on someones team and then crap out after the second game. But we'll see

7andkelly

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of shadows ... and that side room that used to be the baptismal area ... the hanging ceiling light in there has a dove on the bottom of it casting that image.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, you can make up at least one team of 4. It'll be fun - no pressure. It's interesting to read all the views of the interior of the church. Having missed the tabernacle and having that be on of the major reasons I left St. Jude for a bit - I was overjoyed to see Jesus back in the body of the Church because I think it has already brought more reverence - and a more "Catholic" rather than non-denominational feel to St. Jude. Agreed, too many of the "wreckovations" put us into a huge debt and were extravagant and unnecessary, but what's done is done ---it's still my St. Jude Parish and a wonderful parish family to call home. Now, we take St. Jude, changes and all, into another 70 years of growth and presence on Detroit's East Side - "Our" old neighborhood. It's a joy to be a part of that process!

Mkap

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! What she said.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When/where is the bowling event?

Jcole

Post Number: 6097
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's April 19th at Continental Lanes on Gratiot near 12 Mile.
Is that right Mar?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. It's April 19th between 3-5 at Continental Lanes (13 and Gratiot). It's $20/bowler - 4 person teams. Send names on team and $$ to St. Jude Parish - at 15889 E 7 Mile Road Detroit 48205
We'll also have silent auction, 50/50 and raffles - and plenty of visiting time!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Is the kishka still missing? Any leads yet? After last weekend there ought to be a clue.

Congrats CFG....glad to see the all was good and everyone had a great time.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kishka was found - it WAS Stasiu!
Pictures out on SJS Website!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Thanks for the pics. Are the future dinners going to be located in the convent? Is the gym still a viable option? It seems like the convent provided enough room and a cozy atmosphere. The food looked delicious.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of now, all dinners will be held in the convent due to the atmosphere and kitchen facilities - that's not to say, that with our attendance increasing, that we haven't talked about moving our dinners to the gym where we'll have more room. The food was incredible - and thankfully we planned well, as we had a little left of everything!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When can you bring it up to Port Austin? Better freeze it right away.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Port Austin? No, no, Austin, Texas! Hmm, better pack it in dry ice too!

Zitro

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy St. Paddy's Day to all, or as my Polish mother used to say Erin Go Braughski.

Jcole

Post Number: 6099
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or as my Irish/Polish father used to say, 'Erin Go Braghless'

Zitro

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew I always liked your dad. :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 6100
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a special man. He was more Irish than St. Pat on March 17th, too.
Do you remember him singing Danny Boy back in the day? I wish I had had the ability to record it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2767
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. Wow, I forgot all about that