Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Bridge Watch Detroit » Archive through February 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rep Rashida Tlaib asked me to pass this on. It is imperative that all Detroiters take an interest in Fighting Mr. Maroun,

"please distribute widely

Dear Neighbors,

It is an immense pleasure to serve as your State Representative. Working for my constituents has been even more rewarding than I thought possible, and working for the community in which I grew up continues energizes me in powerful ways.

Other aspects of serving as State Representative are less pleasant. Since taking office, I have worked with state and local workers and officials to voice our community's concerns about the Gateway Project and the Detroit International Bridge Company's (DIBC) attempts to steadily claim ownership of pieces of our city. Please see attached letter to MDOT and DIBC that list some of the proposed changes to the design plans by DIBC. I have voiced our community's deep distress from news of unneeded delays in the Gateway plaza construction. I have demanded that the project's final form reflect its original intent - to keep bridge traffic off our surface streets. And my voice - our voices - have been greeted with mere empathy and nods. It has become clear to me that there is a disturbing, growing acceptance of the following falsehood: The DIBC will ultimately do what it wants because they're patient and they have a lot of money.

These people, however, do not live in Southwest Detroit. But you do, and so do I. We know, as do all our neighbors, the years of frustration, disappointment, anger, sadness and rage that grow from knowing what it is to live in the shadow of that towering monstrosity that we call The Bridge. We know the injustice of sharing our neighborhood with the worst neighbors in all of Detroit - The Detroit International Bridge Company. No company is above the law.

And yes, we've spoken - in voice, in letters, in folded arms and shaking heads. But our message, to be heard over the surrounding apathy, must be coordinated, united, loud, clear and impossible to dismiss, and I am committed to making this a focus of my community work.

I, along with several community advocates, want to resurrect Bridge Watch Detroit. There are a number of elected officials (that I have to work with everyday) that are already swayed because of political contributions. They turn their heads to DIBC and it must stop. We need actions that will bring media attention and a group that can effectively disseminate information quickly and take action. There are already two important upcoming meetings that if we can’t get hundreds of our residents, business and community leaders to attend, then shame on us.

There will be a Coast Guard hearing on Tuesday, March 17, at Earhart Middle School, 1000 Scotten St. in Detroit beginning at 6 p.m. to discuss the approval of the permits for DIBC to build their second span.

DIBC is also applying for public activity bonds to build their second span and they are going in front of the Michigan Strategic Fund on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. at the Michigan Economic Development Office. 300 N Washington Square, Lansing 48913 (in Lake Conference Michigan Room) to request support. Sens. Basham and Anderson, Reps. Gonzalez, Geiss and I will be testifying against DIBCʼs pab.

I propose our first Bridge Watch Detroit meeting take place on Saturday, February 28th at 10 a.m. Location TBA (I have a couple of folks on locations but please let me know if you have an ideal place to hold our first meeting.

I look forward to working with all of you in an effort to bring justice to this important cause.

Best,

State Rep Rashida Tlaib"

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that's great, i will see about making those meetings. proud to say that she's representing my neighbors and i

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a very well-written letter. Maybe we can get her to attend our next softball game down at Riverside Park?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 980
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, exactly, are the problems?

"...attempts to steadily claim ownership of pieces of our city..."? Was it not acquired legally?

"...deep distress from news of unneeded delays..."? Is this the first project ever that was not completed on time? Would it really be to anyone's advantage to have an intentional delay?

"...to keep bridge traffic off our surface streets..."? Where else are vehicles supposed to travel? Isn't vehicle traffic good for business?

"...to live in the shadow of that towering monstrosity that we call The Bridge..."? Isn't the bridge is an important contribution to commerce between our 2 countries? Since when did a marvel of engineering become a monstrosity? I think it's beautiful and a city treasure.

"...to build their second span..."? Isn't it a good sign that commerce has necessitated another span? Is Progress no longer good?

Or is it because Maroun has the ONLY abandoned properties in the city of Detroit?

Or is it because people don't understand that it makes sense to build a bridge, or a second span, at the most narrow portion of a waterway?

Or is it because people have no clue that the reason Detroit is here in the first place is because it is the closest point to Canada?

Please enlighten...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I sympathize with some of Rep. Tlaib's concerns, several parts of her letter stand out as very amateurishly written:

"...there is a disturbing, growing acceptance of the following falsehood: The DIBC will ultimately do what it wants because they're patient and they have a lot of money.

Read the above carefully. That wording actually *defends* the bridge company.

"that towering monstrosity that we call The Bridge."

Newsflash, Rep. Tlaib: That bridge has been here since 1929 and isn't going anywhere, regardless of who owns it. Would you prefer that it be demolished, thus halting billions of dollars' worth of trade?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9038
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit,

I'm hoping you were posting in jest, because at least some of your points are quite a stretch.

Surface traffic usually improves business EXCEPT when said traffic is comprised of semi-trucks semi-parked spewing MAXI-smoke and KEEPING your customers from driving down your street.

So, throw that one away...and get a peek at the bigger picture along with some empathy...spend a few days breathing that stuff while these truckers wait to get ON the bridge...and tell me there is no problem with bridge traffic routed onto surface streets.

And this one..."Or is it because people have no clue that the reason Detroit is here in the first place is because it is the closest point to Canada?"

Um, it is here because it was the most defendable point in the river, proximity to what became another country was not really a consideration back then, they were merely keeping control over their watery freeway system.

It no longer makes sense to build a bridge here, regardless the closeness to Windsor...it makes sense to build it downriver where the 401 extended would basically meet the Southfield Freeway extended.

Too much urban density...even with Maroun's fire-lovers continually trying to empty the place out.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charge him $1 billion for that little segment of Riverside Park. Balance the city budget, upgrade Clark and other SW parks, and acquire and restore the MC station. I think that would be a fair trade.

Gnome

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maroun has a long history of squat, rot, burn and buy.

Entire blocks have been leveled by Maroun and his henchmen for their own neferious reasons. Trying to asscribe reason to his actions is impossible. Like why would he let the MCS rot? Doesn't make sense. He bought it, I assume he's up-to-date on his taxes, but he leaves it open to all manner of varmets. Why?

You have to be Manny to understand his rationale; all I know is that Maroun has laid waste to massive chunks of the city and the state and you are paying for him to do it.

Let's hope Homer wades in here and can tell you in better detail some of the ways Maroun has screwed you.

I don't know anyone who begrudges the guy a living. He's obviously a smart business guy. But does he have to wreck everything just to have it his way?

Squat, rot, burn and buy
Mr Maroun will make you cry
Quiet he is, like a Mouse
Just so he can, Steal your house
rape your dog
eat your cat
Leave you poor in nothing flat

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bridge Co. has cleared their EA on the U.S. side and since every gov't is spending money as fast as they can print it (look out for inflation within a couple of years kids) I suspect they just won't have any moe to print for a public-owned bridge. Maroun will get to twin his.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 982
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Gannon, for the response. No jesting intended.

The slow truck traffic is a temporary inconvenience due to construction and is an argument in favor of a second span to alleviate congestion.

Proximity to Canada is the reason Detroit is located where it is, although the closeness was not a benefit at the time. Cadillac wanted to prevent the English from crossing over. The waterway route was not a consideration at the time.

A bridge's cost is proportional to its length. The Ambassador Bridge is located at the narrowest point of the river, less than a half of a mile. The width at the place you suggested is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles, depending on the exact location. Besides much of the infrastructure is already in place at the current location. And the residents will be just as anti-bridge at the location you suggested.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit I haven't really kept up with all the issues on this one, but why not build a private bridge and and let him twin his bridge. A large amount of the truck traffic would utilize the new bridge, with a much lighter amount, and passenger cars utilizing the newly twined Ambassador Bridge, and the tunnel servicing additional auto traffic and public transit between Downtown and Windsor.

Being able to quickly cross the border would be a huge draw for Detroit and Windsor.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 bridges? I don't think we need that many spans. If he builds his bridge, who is going to build the private bridge?

If I am not mistaken, the plan calls for one span would be US-bound and the other Canada-bound. Having cars only on one bridge would not be a good idea since trucks take up more space and create most of the backlog. The best option would have been the truck tunnel, which wouldn't have potentially messed up a growing part of the city and cost less. But what's a few million dollars when you're a billionaire like Moroun??

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7789
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Proximity to Canada is the reason Detroit is located where it is, although the closeness was not a benefit at the time. Cadillac wanted to prevent the English from crossing over. The waterway route was not a consideration at the time.

Recheck your history Retroit. In 1701 France controlled this entire region, it wasn't until 1763 was there any significant British presence any where near Michigan.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9044
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarifications Retroit...but even with the increased costs...just putting up a different span will SO destroy the view.

We all should hate on his plan simply over aesthetics!

A billion plus losing the MCS is just about the right price for that park...

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or we should oppose the plan simply because it (further) enriches Matty Maroun.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see a private person build a bridge than suck $1.8 billion out of Michigan taxpayers, plus another $500 million for a "Gateway-type" interchange.

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a video clip of the 2008 Detroit Marathon and the start of Matty's 2nd bridge span next to the Ambassador Bridge. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI7_rp K6Pew There also are monthly meetings held at Southwestern High School in regards to an alternative to Matty's proposal. The next meeting is this Wednesday, February 25th and starts at 7:00 pm. MDOT conducts the meetings and they are very informative. Their proposed bridge span has the support of our neighbors to the South. You can access more info at www.partnershipborderstudy.com or call Mohammed Alghrabi the Senior Project Manager at (517) 373-7674 with any questions or concerns. At one of the meetings I picked up a 14 page illustrative vision of the DRIC (Detroit River International Crossing). Not to bore anyone to tears but if someone's interested, I can post a video of the illustrations and you might get a quick impression of what they have in mind.

An aside to Detroitchef: This is the video I promised to upload on your behalf. On a different discussion thread you had mentioned you wanted me to check out Riverside Park so hopefully "Manny's Gestapo could rid us of the annoyance". Lucky for me Manny's boys were nowhere to be found. Probably got the day off to pray in church. Who knows ? I'm just glad I lived to tell the tale and have video to prove it.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tlaib's letter is disturbing ... the DRIC supporters say no one is preventing Moroun from building his bridge, but this is clearly an attack on his attempt to build a second span.

Her predecessor, Steve Tobocman, asked in a story I wrote for Crain's why an 80-year-old bridge even needs replaced, since the engineering was so good back then. Not smart.

Tlaib's letter also appears to chastise MDOT over the Gateway, but MDOT is the champion of DRIC (which I'm guessing is something fueled by anti-Moroun sentiments in the organization and by a bureaucratic need to feed to machine, so to speak, but that's my humble opinion).

Tlaib appears to have done something very foolish: Give physical evidence to anti-DRIC critics that there is governmental attempts to oppose this privately funded project.

I'm not going into Moroun's record as a land owner, but in terms of replacing the original Ambassador Bridge span, it makes sense. No public dollars required. If there was any issue with the safety or operation of the bridge, all the feds have to do is pull their agents from the plaza and the bridge is kaput.

This is a local/Canadian Leftist ideological war - claiming that government ownership of the border crossing is a public good, yet not providing any evidence to back that up. Even Obama doesn't seem to care that the bridge is in private hands.

Public ownership doesn't mean the bridge would be any safer. The bridge in Minnesota that collapsed and killed people was public. Moroun is a savvy enough businessman to not let the bridge become unsafe and threaten his profits.

The traffic stats don't justify a totally new bridge a mile form the old one in the next couple of years, yet MDOT is in a hurry to build it, citing redundancy needs for safety (to which the feds said, "Then you need to build a second I-75, too")

Matt Moroun told me personally they know a time will come when a second crossing is needed, but that time isn't now. I have to agree. Nothing MDOT has shown me justifies the immediate need to start work next year.

Tlaib shouldn't have written that letter. Poor tactical move. Calling the Ambassador Bridge a monstrosity while supporting the DRIC bridge that will wipe our Delray with its own "monstrosity" seems to me to be fumbling amateur hypocrisy from a rookie populist legislator eager to curry favor.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd rather see a private person build a bridge than suck $1.8 billion out of Michigan taxpayers

No matter who builds the bridge, the same people are going to pay for it: the users. You could argue you'd rather see a private person assume the financial risk of paying off the bonds.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the idea of changing the rail tunnel over and building a new rail tunnel that can handle the double stack rail cars that now have to go through Port Huron. That always seemed like the best plan to me.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that as a lifelong resident of Detroit and current resident of the southwest side, I personally do not want to support any action by Maroun but this issue goes much further than that when you look at air pollution statistics in this area they are through the roof and athsma levels among the residents of Detroit coencide with these numbers. Also the residents of southwest do not want the traffic and damage to there roads and how more comercial traffic can negatively affect local business. Thirdly we are talking about Matty Maroun, he is a criminal of the likes of Kwame with his shady business dealings and no concequeces to his actions.
As I am sure any resident of southwest would agree the last thing we need is Maroun having more ownership of our lives by negatively impacting the environment and his disregard for all residents in the city.

Further reasons the second span should never be built include; His total lack of respect for the city of Detroit's Parks in his claiming and bullying of riverside park supposedly in the name of homeland security when we all saw the reality in Joel's Blog.

Not to mention that the 776 Million in bonds the DIBC is seeking will never be bought do to the fact that Canadian officials have said that they will not approve the permits on their end.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, Bshea, if only all journalists were as open about their lack of objectivity and hostility towards one side of a conflict as you have shown yourself to be here on the forum!

I am beginning to wonder if Moroun isn't paying off the journalists in this town just like the politicians.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bshea,
Are you dating Manny Jr.?
You are sure sucking up to the morouns.
Do you and Momma Cheeks K. hang out?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the Bshea bashing? I don't see anything unreasonable in his post - unless you just are completely opposed to anything Mr. Maroun wants to do.

The only advantage of the MDOT project over Mr. Maroun's project is that it will make it possible to have a direct freeway-to-freeway connection. That will improve things on the Ontario side, but make very little difference to most of us in Michigan.

I'm not a member of the Maroun fan club either, but his stewardship of the Ambassador Bridge has been quite reasonable, so far as I can tell. I see no reason to debase him on the bridge effort.

By the way, if you think anyone is paying off Crain's reporters, you obviously don't read Crain's.

Bshea

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sucking up? LOL ...

No such thing as objectivity, but I do believe in fairness. I think it was Hunter Thompson that said the only things in journalism that are objective are box scores.

I'm willing to explain my views on the things I write about. All journalists approach things with biases, and attempt to be fair. I've been very fair on the bridge debate. I have zero vested interest.

My point is that MDOT, Tobocman and the DRIC backs, to a person, have all told me they are not doing anything to stop Moroun. Yet here is Tlaib issuing this letter that is a clear attack, and it mentions that she and the other legislators will be at the Strategic Fund meeting to testify about Moroun's private activity bond funding.

Do you think they are going to testify in favor?

Ray Basham called me a few weeks ago and told me outright that no one in Lansing was doing anything to hamper the bridge company's effort to build a second span. What do you call testifying against its funding? What do you call this letter? Was the bridge a "monstrosity" when Warren Buffett owned it? Or only when expanding it runs afoul of populist interests?

If you think I'm in the tank for Moroun, read my Crain's blog. Hardly.

I've no vested interest in this squabble, but I'm also not a blind fool willing to buy what MDOT and the DRIC backers are selling, either.

Basically, its backers have lied to me or misled me. And later today I'll be writing about it.

I'm going to call it as I see it. MDOT is fumbling this entire thing -- which Basham agreed with me on -- in the PR forum and in the legislature. Do you think Tlaib writing this letter is going to help change minds? Is outright misleading the media going to help?

Show me evidence. Back up claims with hard facts. I'm not going to blindly accept and print nonsense. So far, MDOT hasn't shown me evidence of the need to immediately build a second crossing, and nor have they convinced the feds. Moroun has logic on his side. Has he irked a lot of people and made mistakes? Sure looks like it. But that doesn't vacate the basic issues of the debate.

If the market doesn't want to buy Moroun's bonds, that his risk as the private investor, and is not the business of legislators seeking to advance a competing state project that they're rushing into action without justification.

If it's a sop to Canada, just come out and say it.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please see attached letter to MDOT and DIBC that list some of the proposed changes to the design plans by DIBC.

Did anybody actually read the referenced letter? It is available in the Files section of the CorktownCommunity Google Group. I'm not sure if the direct link will work, but here it is:

http://corktowncommunity.googl egroups.com/web/Ltr.pdf

The letter describes proposed changes that include the use of local roads for bridge traffic. This is a concern to the community and goes against one of the stated purposes of the Gateway project.

The way I read Rep. Tlaib's letter to the community, she is talking about opposing the DIBC plan due to the proposed changes. Even if that weren't the case, it is her job to advocate for her constituents. Testifying in front of the Michigan Strategic Fund is hardly "blocking" the project. In fact, there is no reason why MSF should issue tax-exempt bonds to reduce Maroun's borrowing costs for the second span. If it is truly a private project, as Maroun and his supporters keep repeating, let him fund it privately and pay market interest on his own bonds. For those who who don't know, if MSF issues these bonds, Maroun's company will have to pay the principal and interest, but the interest to bondholders will be exempt from federal income tax, thereby reducing Maroun's borrowing costs at taxpayer expense.

Bshea

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So private industry shouldn't use private activity bonds?

There is no public good that comes from the Ambassador Bridge?

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay wait a minute...it will make a difference to those of us here in Michigan who live near the ambassador bridge and deal with the traffic, poor air quality and noise issues related to the bridge. It also makes (albeit only psychological)a difference to people who live near any of Maroun's abandoned properties, who enjoy Riverside park, or who attend St. Anne's church.
In other words: Ms. Tlaib's constituents. God forbid a politician actually do something that people who voted for her want her to do.

Gnome

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill, you seem to genuinely confuddled that there would be a level on animosity toward any plan that Manny might proffer.

See, Bill, the problem with Manny's plan is Manny. He has been a very bad neighbor. Not just the kind of neighbor who'd let his dog poo on your lawn, but the kind of neighbor who would burn down the house next to you just to get you to sell your house.

True. Don't believe me? Fine. I think Homer's wife can introduce you to a dozen people this afternoon who will tell you the same thing. She can take you blocks of crumbling properties, properties bought up by Manny and left to rot. These were neighborhoods where people lived, where Manny and his surrogates at MexicanTown Reality, bought a couple of homes, turned them into crack dens then forced the frightened neighbors to sell their places for a dime on the dollar.

All this is true. Seemingly so callous and cruel that a good man such as yourself would find them unbelievable. Impossible even.

Now, when such a neighbor starts pissing on your back and tells you it's raining, one's natural reaction is to baulk at any plan which would fill his pockets any further.

To wit, in the eyes of his neighbors, Manny has proven himself to be a bully and a liar. Since you've had conversations with Manny, and have gotten his side of things, I invite you to sit down with some folks who can give you an alternative reality.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BShea: how old are the several bridges into Manhattan? Aren't they from the same era, or older, as the Ambassador? If Moroun would maintain his Bridge in the manner that it should be maintained, instead of allowing it to rust and rot (take a look sometime as you drive over it) it would last just fine. Your ridiculous dismissal of Tobocman's comment says a lot about your critical thinking abilities - that they are dismal.

I don't imagine that Tlaib was speaking of the physical presence of the bridge when she used the monstrosity term. The Bridge is beautiful and alluring. But its political footprint has become monstrous. It has become a looming evil presence to SW Detroit and now you think there should be two in a row and you are using your bully pulpit to make its so.