Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through March 02, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty good buddy. Hope to see you at the Garden next time we're in town.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GSCC Media Alert:
Cub & some others from the Georgia Street Community Collective will be featured in several media outlets this week.

1. Tomorrow (2-23) at 3 p.m., Cub & I will be on the "Christian Guide" show with Martha Pye on www.motowngospelradio.com .

2. We were recently visited by journalists & photographers from TIME magazine. They said that the story, which focuses on the positive things in Detroit, should be in this Friday's issue. We're pretty sure the part about Cub & the garden made it in, since the writer said the garden was a story in & of itself. If anyone subscribes to TIME & gets it early, let us know! It is quite an honor to be included in TIME.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump^^

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its gonna be a big year for you!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva how did the show go? I tried to listen but couldn't decipher the interface.

looking forward to the Time piece. A lot of good is coming your way Cub, you to Viva. You both are incredible.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gnome, the show went really well. Ms. Pye was so interested in our mission, work and ideas and I think she'll come visit us this spring. If not, she might be creating a garden in her neighborhood!

If you missed it or couldn't understand it, check out http://www.motowngospelradio.c om/Index1.html and click on "Live Radio" and look for the Christian Guide with Martha Pye from 2-23. She should be wearing a plaid jacket (as not to confuse it with her other shows).

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva - I can't find it. I've been through the schedule 3 times! :-(

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I door knocked that area for election day and out of no where I noticed the marker 'free condoms, please put them in the trash after using them' or something to that effect.

I was shocked to see such a presence in the area. Now I've learned how far it goes.
You guys are incredible.

I'm going to finally.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I missing something?
I don't get the condom reference.
Are they helping johns/hookers have safe sex?

Cub

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those signs are not our doing.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the signs effective?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 752
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another cute project for young kids is to take 2 liter pop bottles, remove labels, cut off the tops. Fill with top soil or potting soil. Have kids (using markers) draw faces with eyes, ears noses, etc. Plant grass seed or chives in the dirt at the top.

Just a side note to say I am happy to be able to post. Last week started with the car breaking down, the snow blower croaked and horror of horrors my computers went wanky. and a ton of other stuff went wrong.

A dear friend has a nephew who is a computer wiz. For nominal money and a great dinner, this young man fixed and upgraded my computers. I am sooooooo happy to be back on line. If anyone needs some computer fix-its just post and I'll share his name and number.

If Cub needs donated computers re-built or updated for the community center, I am sure he will donate his expertise.

I am longing for Spring. As mentioned, I sell herb plants at West Park Market. This is a venue where locals bring their dogs. This year, I also plan on selling St Frances dog collar medallions. My mark up is $1.50. I pledge .50 cents on each item sold to go to GSCG.

My car and computers are fixed, the snowblower is dead. My taxes will be done free (side note: as a private contractor I will probably owe)which will suck.

All in all, I look forward to a great New Year for GSCG. Lots of stuff to donate to the yard sale and look forward to the great synargy created here!

Cub

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Sumas!!!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva, I looked at the site. Went to Live Radio and opened the calender. I clicked of Feb 23 and looked through 23 pages of shows. I did not see anything with Martha.

Sorry to be so dense about this, but I can't find the Cub and Viva show.

Cub

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant find it either.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. It's not there. I've just scanned yesterday and today's schedules and we've been bumped by someone else. I will email Ms. Pye to see what happened to the show. Our luck they didn't save it or there were technical difficulties.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sumas for reminding me of my taxes. Good thing I don't have a snowthrower that would break too.

Sumas

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog, you can get taxes done for free by calling the Accounting Aid Society. Miracle of miracles, we do not owe, except city taxes.

Funny thing is that our tax preparer turned out to be a friend of our youngest son. Small world. I was so happy with our return that we went to a local bar, Marshall's, which is something we rarely do. Ran into three friends there. I even had a Manhattan, that used to be my drink of choice, way back, when I was much younger.

The snowblower, needs to get picked up from the hardware store we took it to. Now we will send it over to another friend who can fix anything so I am still hopeful. You are right though, the more stuff you have, the more aggravation.

Friends are a lovely thing to have and we treasure all of them. We do lots of service to our friends and community and it is so nice to get help and support back when we need it.

GSCG gives me great pleasure. The people on this thread and volunteers to this cause inspire me to keep up my faith in people in general.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice bout the taxes, Last year I took them to my girlfriends friend, wasn't free but hopefully I WONT get any letters from the IRS or the state this year.The garden has to me been an adventure for the past year to say the least, getting to and from is one to say the least. God Bless the Cub for that.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also VITA (which is promoted by the IRS on their site). Call 800-829-1040.

Also, the video is up on www.motowngospelradio.com. It's not the entire 1 hour, but about 20 mins. Enjoy!

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 is interviewing Cub right now.. We think that they're going to put us on the 11 pm news tonight since they found out we're possibly going to be in tomorrow's issue of TIME Magazine. Tune in at 11 to check us out!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scouring clickondetroit.com (channel 4) now for Cub with no success.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Cub on the news :-( Any idea when they are going to show it?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Searching TIME magazine online to no avail (yet).

http://www.time.com

Sumas

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I woke up this morning (early even by my standards) responded to several emails and facebook connections. I was surprised to see that I mentioned GSCG in most of my notes to friends and family. Detroiters (that includes all of southeast Michigan)are such amazing people and I do love to brag.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning all! Well, the TIME mag photographer said he had to put a rush on the pix since he was told it was for today's edition. But we're not in there! So, I am guessing that Channel 4 is waiting until we're actually in TIME mag so that they don't report we are & we're not.

The media is very fickle about deadlines if it's not breaking news. Without us appearing in TIME today, this is a "evergreen" story, one that is good for anytime, especially on slow news days. And we could have been bumped by another major story, too. So, we'll have to wait & watch (until next week for TIME)!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, we'll wait until next TIME :-)

The White House Organic Farm (aka TheWhoFarm)
http://www.thewhofarm.org

Sumas

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I promise to get you my letters for grant applications by tonight or tommorrow.I am motivated at the moment but my husband is on our main computer editing our manuscript for a meeting with our publisher and compatriots in this project Wednesday.

At the moment I am in our den/office, which we don't heat in the winter on our old but trusty alternate computer. For the ladies out there, I am wearing an amazingly ugly fake fur jacket, fuzzy boots and gloves with the fingers cut off. I am still freezing.

Here is two more grants which you probably know about but on the off chance you don't, I'm sending this info:

G.R.O.W grants up to $1,000 dollars to purchase supplies to pursue healthy food related projects mostly aimed for the retail market. Deadline is March 31st. Contact is Jenny Poma, Ph# 313 571-2800 ext. 1131 or email jpoma@warrenconner.org

The other grant is a little more tenuous. No contact name or number yet. "Grants will be made available to non profits to build neighborhoods and more sustainable communities" This is the Colin Hubbell Foundation. It is to be administered through the University Cultural Center. They had a fundraiser on Feb 8th. The contact for that, was Jill Farrari Ph# 313 461-7833 or email jferrari@co.wayne.mi.us she might be a good contact for this grant info.

Sumas

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub, I couldn't find the direct email so you are getting the grant request here. Copy & paste the request to send to Ben @ Jerry's Foundation. Make it pretty and mail ASAP. Stick a board members name on it and don't forget to include your 501(c)3 number, if you don't have one yet, it is ok to say application pending. Use letterhead if you have it and don't forget to include contact info. Feel free to ammend the letter of application, but a note of caution. Read the B & J requirements first very carefully. I wrote this letter to reflect their requirements. I have pretty good results when I write a grant or grant requests so don't mess with it too much. Also many grant writers get up to 20% of successful grants, should you get this grant make sure your accountant takes that as an "in kind" donation, it can be also used as matching funds for grants that require matching funds. While we have little disposable income, we have other talents that we try to use to help others. Hope this grant request works for you. Best wishes, Sumas

PS: One of these days I'll get a chance to explain our pig for your garden.

Dear Grantors,

This is a request for your maximum community grant of $15,000 dollars. This money would go to assist in our efforts to create a community store to dispense free organic vegetables and an adjacent building where we hope to work with community youth in teaching sustainable life skills such as canning, growing, crafting and eating fresh foods. We acquired these buildings from the City of Detroit, they were derelict buildings and are now being rehabbed through a tremendous community volunteer effort. A short introduction is in order.

Georgia Street Community Gardens

This is a remarkable initiative that has had national press in several markets across the nation via the Associated Press, Time Magazine, local coverage including newspapers, radio and TV. It has also been highlighted on the Internet by other urban community garden web pages, community groups and garden club newsletters.

A short history:

The Georgia Street Gardens started less than a year ago because a young man, Mark Covington decided to get rid of neighborhood blight in vacant properties in his community in Detroit. As a large parcel was cleaned, he started to envision a community garden to act as a hub for community pride particularly with emphasis on the children. This, in an area of Detroit deemed blighted and beyond repair.

With little knowledge of gardening, a big vision, loads of energy and commitment he has created a small miracle in his community. He has enlisted scores of volunteers from his community, the city at large and suburbs. This project has transcended race and economic bias. So many people with so many talents, gardeners, builders, carpenters, sculptors and scores of other folk who have assisted in so many ways. It is now an urban oasis of hope.

All this in less than a year!

To use your own words in the grant process he has:
· help ameliorate an unjust or destructive situation by empowering constituents;
· Facilitate leadership development and strengthen the self-empowerment efforts of those who have traditionally been disenfranchised in our society; and
· Support movement building and collective action.

A short synopsis of accomplishments:

· Cleared vacant land of trash
· envisioned and created a community garden by enlisting help from compatriots from his city, his neighbors and our suburbs to start the garden
. Planted an extensive organic garden with the assistance of Detroit garden groups
· Started a Saturday reading night for children with adult volunteers reading aloud.
· Saturday night GP movies following the readings
A harvest festival in the garden for the community who invested time and energy into this vision of a better, stronger and safer neighborhood
· A Christmas dinner for the community by engaging everyone who invested their energy
· acquired two buildings adjacent to the garden to create a community center.
· Work has begun by volunteers to up grade these abandoned buildings
· Creation of a non-profit with a diverse board of directors
Creation of a Web site

This list is by no means inclusive of additional successful community achievements that are an offshoot of this project. I would like to repeat my former comment, All this in under a year!

I am personally in awe of what has been created out of urban blight and the many, many accomplishments of this dedicated group.

Their goals for this year are equally impressive. In light of the current emphasis on urban gardening, organic and sustainable living and your goals to enhance childhood education through neighborhood programs, this successful program is very worthy.

The creation of this grass roots community garden has helped mobilize the neighborhood to believe that change can happen

I sincerely request that you consider this application.