Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Anyone ever hear of Walkerville? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In researching the Detroit Boat Club, I found info saying that in 1888, the DBC sold its old clubhouse to the Tecumseh Boat Club, which had it floated to Walkerville, where it stood till burning in a fire in 1908. Anyone know where this old Walkerville is? What it is now? There is a Walkerville now, but it's on the west side of the state. It couldn't have been near Tecumseh as Tecumseh isn't near water.
Anyone have a clue? Or any old maps of SE Michigan from around 1888?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6107
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerville is in Canada, near Windsor

Walkerville

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerville is actually part of Windsor. It was an independent village annexed into Windsor in the '30s, I believe. Sort of like Old Redford or Delray on this side of the river.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT would explain why I couldn't find it. Wrong side of the border. Thanks. :-)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3889
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Rhymes...it's just "across the street!" :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5131
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of cool buildings in Walkerville:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/virtual-tour/virtual_tour.ht m

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Walkerpub.

Chris' Historic Walkerville [Windsor]

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it still home to the Hiram Walker Distillery?
Home of Canadian Club and Vo ? I remember a sign
that read Canadian Club in large red neon letters
we could read across the river.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5132
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it still home to the Hiram Walker Distillery

Yes.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right by the train station.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rawk!! You should check out Walkerville! It's an enjoyable day trip!!

From the website that Lowell posted, you can print out a walking tour of the neighborhood with many Albert Kahn-designed buildings and other historic buildings.

Take a tour of the Hiram Walker Office Building (Mason & Rice with a young Kahn); details at http://www.canadianclubwhisky. com/HeritageTour.asp.

Visit Willistead Manor, built by Hiram Walker's son Edward; details at http://www.citywindsor.ca/0002 23.asp

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Walker and some of his family are buried in Elmwood not too far from Sonic.

AIW will throw down the definitive history in a minute here Im sure...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No he won't. :-) The bastard is off taking pictures somewhere...again.

Walkerville? Never heard of it. Maybe the google thingy will work on the internets.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Florida:

Almost everything you need to know about Walkerville can be found at the website I started about 10 years ago to support our now defunct local history publication called The Walkerville Times:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/

some of the links have been referenced above.

At the current time, Walkerville is experiencing a mini-renaissance- shops and retailers are thriving- including the venerable Kildare House for fish and chips- Big Tonys for massive plates of Italian- the Gourmet Emporium in the magnificent Beaux Arts-styled Bank of Montreal - many new places have opened so the survival of this great little community seems assured

Albert Kahn built many of the homes and commercial buildings (he actually got one of his first major commissions as a young man working for Mson and Rice on the Hiram Walker World Headquarters referenced above and here:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/whisky-palace.htm

and here:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/architects.htm

Here are some extremely rare images from a Kahn exhibit I put on at the Art Gallery of Windsor:

http://gallery.me.com/walkerpu b#100039

The neighbourhood has much in common with Indian Village-

Perhaps we could organize a tour if members of this forum are interested... I would be more than willing to lead the tour and I know AIW would get involved as his knowledge of the district runs deep.

Anyone interested?

Walkerpub

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found these photos of the Tecumseh Boat Club- the story is that Hiram Walker took possession of the building as a payment for debt owed and floated it over to Walkerville- as stated it caught on fire and was replaced by a customs house- a new boat club was built on a site further east which eventually became Ford Of Canada

Tecumseh Boat Club

Walkerpub

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

street view

Walkerpub

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The silence is deafening- wouldn't be a case of xenophobia perhaps?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see it, 'pub. What bus does one take from downtown once I grab the tunnel bus from Detroit? The Prof prefers to keep the car in the driveway, whenever possible.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bus going east on Wyandotte (just south of the tunnel) will get you there. It's also a nice walk from the tunnel.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Island. Next question: Let's assume I'm over there trolling around the neighborhood on, say, a Saturday afternoon. Where to go for lunch?

(PS: No chain joints please. There's a Tim Horton's in Corunna which I visit often enough since that's only 15 minutes from the farm; but if I'm making a special trip I want something local and interesting. Availability of alcohol not an issue.)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7917
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie Street for Italian

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof: Try the Kildare House in Walkerville!!
http://www.myspace.com/kildare house

Walkerpub: Certainly I would be up for a walking tour of the area if others are interested.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tunnel Bar-B-Q for awesome ribs.

http://tunnelbarbq.com/

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

Kildare House is where it's at. A real pub right in Windsor. When I used to live down the street it was awful convenient. :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(PS: No chain joints please. There's a Tim Horton's in Corunna which I visit often enough since that's only 15 minutes from the farm; but if I'm making a special trip I want something local and interesting. Availability of alcohol not an issue.)

At the risk of sounding nosy rather than genuinely curious, how does one leave the car in the driveway when traveling from a farm 15 minutes from Corunna to the Tunnel Bus stop downtown? Is a flying carpet involved?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In winter or rain, daughter drives the Prof to the New Baltimore bus stop, fifteen minutes from house. SMART takes it from there. In nice weather, bicycle is involved; much cheaper than flying carpet, plus insurance is less costly.

Excellent question, Bear. Glad to see someone's paying attention :-)

Kildare House sounds just the thing; thanks for the info.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.