Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

StillrockinWow WOW & WOW we posted at the same exact time .......hmmmm

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:56 pm:
I could see it really well. WOW

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:56 pm:
Stillrockin.. spaced again and shuttling you say.. WOW that is cool

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin, I was down there when the one Space shuttle blew up. I was walking down a street pushing my son in a stroller. I was quite a ways from it but I remember the explosion but didn't really know what it was. Then people came running out of their houses screaming that the shuttle had blown up and I figured it out. These people were all in their houses watching it happen on TV. They could have walked outside and seen the whole thing. Odd. What was that, about 1986?

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space to Earth did Hoover's pet get out again?

Stillrockin

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this one of your LSD trips

Stillrockin

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God I can't see you going down the street pushing stroller.

(Message edited by stillrockin on March 15, 2009)

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll nickname him Hambone,and bring him to the party to work the door or the parking lot!!rr

Stillrockin

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey BushMark are you going to watch Larry the cable guy tonight

(Message edited by stillrockin on March 15, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, Rona sent me the logo you made. It's really cool. That and the painting on the invitations should become our official logos. We can put them on all of our envelopes, stationary and letterheads. Also baseball caps, sweats, t-shirts and pins. Did you do the drawing for the invitation or was that Markley's work? The only thing our shield/logo is missing is a joint. Rona said she's happy with the 3 bottles.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, I was only around 10 years old, if that, when I saw Soupy the first time. I learned the hard way - watching White Fang/Black Tooth work from behind the wall. I also saw Johnny Ginger and Spanky from 'Our Gang' when they did their shows from the Maccabees Building and Broadcast House. I don't remember any trauma from those visits. Maybe something will come up in therapy........or a flashback.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost forgot 'Pooky'. Another huge disappointment. He was real to me. Later years, I'd walk home from school, a little more than a mile, to watch 'Lunch With Soupy'. I only had a one hour lunch break, but it was worth it.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite memory of the kitchen was one night about a week after Hoov (or whomever) tossed Alice from the house. We'd been at the Eastown for a show and the Rainbow People's Party (John Sinclair) was handing out a one page, mimeographed (remember mimeograph machines?) newsletter. We grabbed one and read it upon arriving at the house. It was about 3AM, and we were in the kitchen tripping and eating pizza. The newsletter, in effect, said 'rich hippie kids from Grosse Pointe living in the Gar Wood Mansion were spoiled brats who denied the 'peoples band' (Alice Cooper) entry to a party'. And they went on and on ragging on us. If you all remember correctly, this was before AC hit the big time, so to speak, and was still shilling for the RPP. It was so much BS because we knew what had really happened. We had a laugh and tripped on the dumb waiter and the bidets. Those bidets - the tripping girl's best friend.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kd....the only thing I can draw (besides a few flies every now and then) is a small, really small pension from the Civil War era. Markley is the genius behind any and all art creations for FOG.

I remember that RPP flyer. We opened our doors to thousands during those glorious years, and on a fairly regular basis too. Christ, Hoover could get 500 "rainbowers (?)" to the house in a matter of minutes. Probably took the RPP two weeks of passing out mimeographed flyers to get three speed freaks to show up to a JS speech. No, I didn't pay too much attention to that flyer. Got a good chuckle out of it, though.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay then......Thank you Markley. Great work. Of course you've been doing it for years. Are there any other Markley landmarks around A2/Detroit I should see and photograph? That's a serious question.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you all of you current and former A2'ers, I took a picture of the Dixboro General Store on saturday. I'll post it soon. It might initiate a flashback or two.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1k.... there is a bar right next to the Blind Pig that I have painted inside and out if you're ever down there...the exterior mural of NY city was painted in the Winter of '02...inside are 4 bars...the Millennium Club I designed the aquasculpture and bar and stage area where the Killer Flamingos play twice every month...adjacent to that is "Gotham City" where its painted like a city scape...downstairs is the Cavern Club where the wall behind the band area was painted with Michelangelo's "Creation of Adam"..which has been deteriorating due to moisture from the ground but is still there.also in the cavern part of the lower floor is a Rainforest-3d tropical area with fishpond which took me and 3 other guys many months to produce...and then way upstairs is the "Circus" which has a 20 x 40" mural painted about 6 years ago... for you Bluegrass lovers, there's a Bluegrass night every Wednesday in the Circus bar...

... I'm currently working on a project, mentally, called the "Creation of Old Guy" which has a many-faceted transparent collage of the 70's thrusting projections of light and indescribable synapses forming 3d shapes which are transformed into audible sounds..it goes on and on...

I can post some shots of all the A2 bar stuff but they'll be kinda small...as for the Old Guy thing...all you have to do is look up to the sky...utter "yug dlo" 17 times, and the image will appear when you next close your eyes...

Stillrockin

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said those very words last night and I saw the space shuttle.

Gleeman

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there you go...hope you got pics...

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, I walked the tracks from south of Madison to the railroad bridge over the Huron River, by Argo Pond, about 2 or 3 weeks ago when we had the very warm weather. I've likely been looking at your paintings and didn't realize they were yours. I'll make it a point to visit. May I photograph? I haven't been inside the clubs you mentioned for many years. I usually go to Detroit to hit bars and clubs. In this area I mostly stick to the Arbor Brewing and Corner Brewery for political reasons. I did post about changes to the Blind Pig and associated clubs a few months back in reference to our planned re-union. Thanks much for the heads-up. I'm excited to see your work. Did you see the posts for you on Craigslist a few months ago? We were discussing you and you'd yet to be found. I posted numerous times, as I did for Breeze and Dave Karas.

Gleeman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what posts on Craigslist

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin'Ya'll, Allot going on here. Seems to be getting more intense by the minute.like a very powerful acid flashback. I think Pookys last name was Compo? I'm pretty sure my sister Jean thru together some Mulligan stew in the kitchen while we were cleaning the trash out of the storage shed. If you wanted to invite Sol Driven Train to the party, they have been doing the "Hambone" together for nine years. I don't know how far it goes back, but, they do an excellent rendition. Peace

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, I think an artist led tour of your art in the city would be an excellent way to spend a friday afternoon and evening.Possible?

Gleeman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..thx, maybe for a coupla hours..not sure about which day- there's going to be some musicians getting together to possibly rehearse for an event and and I'm the worlds worst time juggler... the bars I was referring to may be sold before June...Friday could be good...but their might be a Bo-house thing Fri night right O.G. ?

about the kitchen...I was there in the last coupla years when all there was in the fridge was nothing..but we did meet there from time to time to discuss and show "techniques" ..

Stillrockin

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think BushMark droped the ball for Fri night.

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kitchen???? Thats where the Monkey jumped on my back and got thown into the sink full of water and got all wet and caught pneumonia.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOUND! KARL SONNENBERG!

WAY TO GO GASHL1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it's on to Eddie Saenz and Fergie. Giving up is NOT an option.

Gleeman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay team...see how we are..from Soupy to Kitchens...hey howbout SoupKitchens...with Hambones..yah Stn I was in the CivilWar too..played banjo for the 199th monkey brigade, thats where I met Ruth, Dean of the Organ pumpin' mamas , and even back then they had tie-dyed old Guys with friends that made ceramic flutes..everybody blowin pipes and bangin on funny wood boxes with strings on'em...up on tables, dancin the night away..ok I'll stop...Karl's been found..the trick will be getting him back from Japan... What should we do about Friday night ...I don't know Detroit anymore...is there a park? or a building where can bring some refreshments...with ashtrays and garbage bags? Maybe some AC current?

Stillrockin

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found Bob Rozich today and he's coming on the 13

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl E-mailed me back a while ago, He is working in Japan and will make it back home for the reunion....He seems to be well and I'm sure all that know him will be glad to see him....I found him using that ol tried and true method by using the phone book to find his brother and all of a sudden.........whalllaahh..... .....GDGT

A2_dj
Username: A2_dj

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents took me to see Soupy Sales. I remember sitting in some bleachers. The part I was looking forward to most was at the end of the show where they gave the kids a bunch of candy. At the end of the show they gave us each a box of raisins and no candy. I was bummed.

When I looked at the show the next couple of days, sure enough all the kids got candy at the end. It took me a couple of days to figure out it was always the same kids who got the candy. Then I understood the kids were on film.

My first jip by adults.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glmn...man, you had it goin' on there!

Hey Carl...you going over to Buddakan to see Cheap Trick Live? Great to have you aboard. I think Stonefront still owes you for roadie-ing the Toledo Sports Arena Gig. See Markley on that one. Sadly Dave Karas won't be at the party. Gus and Bushmark will be there, though, and you can bet there'll be some roadie stories flying around. Any idea where Eddie Saenz might be. Read this whole thread; it's a trip. When you come to the part where it says that I want one of your sand candles real bad see what you can do. Okay? Send that bill to Markley also.