Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 15, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6077
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the black, but I think I wore the white most of the time. Black was just too sexy for church.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the white matched your purity of spirit.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see someone found some Jets hats. Good.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see all the St. Jude slackers making fashion statements.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will know who I am. I will be wearing my beautiful redheaded carnation on my arm.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poll (or Pole) Question: Who stole the kishka?

To all those planning on a St. Jude Polish Meal....Enjoy!

Good Luck CFG

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2757
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whomever it was, will you give it back?

Jcole

Post Number: 6080
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was Franki Yankovick. Maybe someone can call him?

Zitro

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's his number.

piec szesc siedem osiem osiem zero zero.

Zitro

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe that was Pennway's

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So at this point we still don't know for certain who stole the kishka??? CFG is probably busy right now and is unable to answer.

(Message edited by kellyroad on March 14, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2760
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she's in charge of making the golubki's so I wouldn't count on hearing from her for while

Eastburn

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yashoo (sp) stole the kishka.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out. This is a version from 1996 by Frankie Yankovic and "Weird Al" Yankovic (who, by the way are not related). Who knew???

http://www.themadmusicarchive. com/song_details.aspx?SongID=1 1366

I hope everyone enjoys the dinner tonight. I am VERY jealous!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one. Thanks for sharing, TS. Definitely have heard more than a few "Weird Al" tunes.

Too bad I missed this event. When's the next one, Cfg? Bowling?

Jcole

Post Number: 6082
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys really missed a great meal at the convent tonight. CFGs stuffed cabbage were beyond good. There was great food, great conversation and in general a great time. I hope they have another gathering like this sometime soon. Too bad y'all weren't there.

Zitro

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sniff ;-(

Eastburn

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were there in spirit. The only consolation is that I don't have a couple of extra pounds to work off.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole

Post Number: 6083
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, EB, I expected better than sour grapes from YOU

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food was marvelous! The crew did a great job. They are a well oiled machine.
Had a nice time catching up with JC, CFG, and Boop.
Father Robert's mass was high spirited and reflective. He seems to be just what the parish needs in terms of his youthful personality.

Having not attended a mass at St. Jude in more than twenty five years, I was surprised, that the reconditioned style of the church was not what I had expected. Someone here recently said that you can never really go home again. In this case, that is true. The ambience of the past, that I remember, has changed. Although the setting is more intimate in a way that brings the priest closer to the parishioners, to me, it has lost some of it's previous impresive grandeur. I am not knocking the new design, it was just not what I had expected. Some things might better be served by past memories.

Z - I did get to visit a damp, dimly lit, chilly area of the convent. I thought for a moment that it might be Sister Ellen Richards dungeon you spoke of, but it just turned out to be the walk-in fridge. Sorry! If it's there, it's well hidden.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you all had a great time. Wish we could have made it.

Eastburn

Post Number: 722
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sour grapes - no. Jealousy - yes.

Is the church still standing, JC?

Jcole

Post Number: 6085
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but as Mkap said, not nearly in the style it used to. I don't think that had anything to do with me walking in, but it was disappointing nonetheless.
There wasn't even any mild tremors. I tried to be very quiet and not draw any attention to myself.

Jcole

Post Number: 6088
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove past the old homestead after dinner last night. My house is unboarded and people are living in it, but my god-mother's house, next door to mine, is boarded up now. I was looking at listings, and hers is for sale for 5 grand. She's got to be spinning in her grave. Her husband loved that property. They had grapevines and tomato and pepper plants thriving out back, and a second kitchen in the basement for cooking big Italian family dinners. It was always in good repair and spotlessly clean.
Now they can't even give it away

Zitro

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: You probably had to go down a few more levels to get her chambers, but I appreciate the courage it took to go that far. I think I'd have got the Willies.

Glad you guys had a good time. Sounds like the twins outdid themselves.

JC: So sad about your Godmothers's house. The homes in our neighborhood were all so well kept up, any that were not stuck out, now it seems like it's the opposite.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 695
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all! Wasn't that a party? It was our best turn out ever - and we're looking forward to our next dinner - we just have to figure out what will be our specialty and a date. The Polish dinner was quite popular!
You're right about the interior to St. Jude. The look HAS changed, though with Father Robert bringing the tabernacle back into the church from the old St. Jude Chapel, a step forward has been made. Unfortunately, monies were spent on changing the interior - for which we are still paying and never wanted - but there's nothing we can do about that now. You're right about Fr. Robert, J, he brings so much enthusiasm into the Parish and the reverence in which he says a Mass - overcomes any appearance of reverence that may have been changed.
I sure hope that we can have more of us gather at further events. Bowling coming up soon - on April 19th - let me know if you want to put together a team!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Fr. Robert brought the tabernacle out of the St. Jude Chapel. Good thing. Amen?

Where is it now? And what is in it's place? St. Jude's statue? A second tabernacle like we used to have that was over by the Blessed Mother's statue? Nothing yet?

While I like the recent change, I also liked the tabernacle in the chapel.

And while my druthers would certainly be the church would be the same as of old, I still like the way it looks now.

Frankly, I'm grateful it's still open.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M, are you saying you went into the basement? What's it like down there? See anything interesting?

Jcole

Post Number: 6089
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I did notice that 'Amen' thing with Fr. Robert. Does he do that all the time?
I'm not going to judge too much about the way the church looks, but I was used to the older, grander style it had when we were young. The modern 'theater in the round' look is kind of incongruous in a cathedral-style church like St. Jude