Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » French woman searchs traces of grandfather from Detroit » Archive through March 14, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back in town now and catching up with all the impressive work that's gone on. I searched only for an Irish-born "William Murphy" and only looked through the US draft registration records. I agree that Rene's father was most likely a Canadian soldier serving in France.

Mary_murphy
Username: Mary_murphy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I am very Happy to correspond with you.I am not sure to find my roots. But to write with people of Detroit is feel good. There are many people on this forum. I don't know this. It is very easy to write in French for me, to explain this situation.

Mon père m'a dit que Germaine et William se seraient vus pendant un moment. La mère de ma grand-mère l'aurait invité plusieurs fois à la maison. Germaine aurait essayé d'apprendre l'anglais avec lui. William lui aurait dit que ses parents ou grand-parents étaient irlandais immigrés aux Etats Unis. je ne pense pas que William ait parlé d' ancêtres irlandais passés par le Canada. Mais c'est vrai que la frontière n'est pas très loin.
Je pensais qu'il y avait beaucoup d'immigrés qui venaient directement d'Irlande à Detroit dans les années 1900?

I believe that I would like visit Detroit with my daughter, one day. But I could find my roots
(cousins for example) it will be great.

At soon.
Cordially.
Mary Murphy

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone translate if there are details to help locate William Murphy? Thanks.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This page may help a bit.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Paste the text in and choose the translation

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bike4beer.

Mary, the Irish did come to America in the early 1900's but not like they did in the 1860's during the Famine. The Irish-Canadians and Hungarian-Canadians started to come in to Detroit from Canada from 1900 to around 1925 for manufacturing jobs.

Do you have any more information on your grandfather? Perhaps an old address in Detroit? Did he ever write your grandmother? Do you have a photograph of him in uniform or a postcard? I know it was popular during WWI for a soldier to have his photo taken for postcards that were sent to family or handed out in France to friends.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she said her great grandmother destroyed all the correspondence after he said he wasn't coming back because his mother wanted him to marry a woman she had picked out.

He was at the house many times as Germaine was trying to learn English from him. He said his parents or grandparents had come from Ireland to the US, not Canada. But it is true the border is not far.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to hijack this thread but a post might bump it up and I do have an interesting story, one of the interesting tidbits one finds when doing genealogical research. If nothing else this story will eliminate one William John Murphy from consideration.

I have a great-grandfather named William John Murphy, but he is clearly not the William Murphy in question. He was born on December 17, 1875 in Detroit to (confectioner?) James Cornelius Murphy, and died in Detroit on May 13, 1917. He had 8 children, the oldest of whom, Niel, was born on January 21, 1904.

In doing research, I found a very interesting tidbit. He literally married "the girl next door." In the 1892 city directory, William J. Murphy (age 17?), a printer, was boarding at 1305 St. Aubin Ave. Micheal Henry Dieffenbach, my great-great grandfather, was living at 1301 St. Aubin Ave. at the time, when my great-grandmother Mary Dieffenbach (age 18?) would have likely been living at home still.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dieffenbach sounds really familiar....

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need either an exact birth date or a middle initial. Sorry about deleting a post. It was doubled.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Translation of post on March 7th-

In summary, this is what I know about my grandfather. His name is William Murphy. (I understand that this last name and first name are very common having done some research.) I found a William Murphy living in Flint (on the internet) who could have been found in Limoges. I worked a Buick and was of Irish decent. In fact, my father William was born in the US but these are his parents (or grandparents who would have been Irish. I can get the address of a cousin. Bethanie (CAR) with whom I can correspond and who sent me different pieces of inform on him.
I read that William Murphy was seriously wounded and would have been hospitalized for seven months. This made me suddenly realize that this William could NOT be my grand-father because nothing was mentioned about William being wounded in my family. He came back to the US (I don’t know what date). Several months after my great-grandmother would have received letters in which it was written that William could not come to take my grandmother because his maternal mother promised him another woman. In raged, my great grandmother would have torn up all the letters.
This is the story that my father told to me. It’s a veritable novel with lots of missing info!

Translation of Post on March 8th -

My father told me that Germaine and William would come together if only for a moment. My great grandmother would have invited him several times to the house. Germaine was trying to learn English with him. William would say that his parents or grand-parents were Irish immigrants in the US. I don’t think that William spoke of his ancestors passing through Canada. But it’s true that the border is not too far.
I think that there are a lot of immigrants who came directly from Ireland to Detroit in the 1900’s.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I recall of Irish families, it would be the future wife's father who would look for a husband and not the mother of the male. Also, the male would have to give dowry to the future wife for herself and herself alone if the marriage fell through. But Mary's story also shows that William's parents were here and I can find no William Murphy in Detroit with the correct year of birth with parents from Ireland.

Mary, if you could please contact your cousin, I know every one here with an interest in genealogy is more than willing to help you.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did her father have any sons, I wonder. DNA testing could verify a lot of connections. I know the testing would not help her find her Grandfather directly, but indirectly it would possible settle the uncertainty of the origins.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs, I think the clue is Mary saying, William would say that his parents or grandparents were Irish immigrants". I don't think William came from Ireland. If he was born in 1890/91, his parents or grandparents could have been here shortly after the 1870's. This is when the majority of Irish came to the US. 1900 was a trickle compared to forty years before.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so interesting, let's try and keep the thread close to the top.

Mary_murphy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

Thank you to all and particularly at Bibs for his good translation.
I don't understand "keep the thread close to the top".

I think that William Murphy was born in between in 1890 and 1897 in USA but his grandparents or grand grandparent were immigrants, perhaps during great famine in 1840. But it is only a supposition.

I have a brother, but I did not him see (for DNA testing).

I am happy to correspond to you.
At soon.
Cordially.
Mary Murphy

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will "bump" the thread from time to time to keep it from dropping down the page as more threads are posted. When we post to a thread, it "bumps" it up to the top again.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chaque matière, ou sujet, s'appelle un "thread". Un "thread" est une ligne, ou la corde, des notes.
Vous écrivez, j'écrivez, une autre personne écrit.
La ligne des notes s'appelle un "thread".
Un fil est tissé avec d'autres fils dans un vêtement.
Puisque nous avons beaucoup de fils, chaque nouvelle note place votre fil jusqu'au dessus de la page. Quand votre fil apparaît au dessus de la page, c'a été "bumped".

Un "bump" est une poussée. Par exemple, si je suis derrière vous dans la ligne et je vous pousse, vous vous déplacez à l'avant de la ligne.

Dans la vie qui est grossière, dans le chatroom il fait beau.

Pardonner mon français enfantin.

Mary_murphy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You to Gnome and Gazheekwe.

I understand now that is a bump . It is very strange for me to write to you, far milliers kilometers, almost immediately. It is very comforting for me in this moment. Because, after the problems of inheritance who lasted fives years, my brother and I fall out. It is sad.

I commission a book at my bookseller
By Dennis Lehane: " Un pays à L'aube". I know the title only in French. It is a USA story in (or around) 1919 ( date of birth of my father!!)

Gnome, I understand very well his french. You write well French. I would like,one day, speak or write as you.

It is true that in the chatroom it is nice.

Cordially.
At soon.
Mary Murphy

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, What is your father's full name?

Mary_murphy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to Dtctygrl (how do we pronounce this username?)and at all

The father's full name is René CHAPUS. But my grandmother was married with a man named VERGNAUD when René was seven years. then the René's name was VERGNAUD.

Wednesday I bought the book written by Dennis Lehane "Given day".

Does somebody know this book?

I search elements of the different links what you gave me, but I don't find (find nothing).

Could I write Michigan veteran to know all WIlliam Murphy of Michigan ( with their regiment) who were enlisted during the First World War? Or where could I find elsewhere?

Thank you for answers.
Cordially.
Mary Murphy

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2961
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link may be of use to you. It is a form to use to request information about Michigan veterans. There may be a charge for some services.

Secton 1 of the form is the information they need to locate the records. It says if you cannot provide the information, put NA in the space.

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/dmva/standard-form-180_238 208_7.pdf

Mary_murphy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe,

I think a person Bethany Car, tried for me to fill in the standad-form 180, but without result.
Besides I believe that I must know date of birth and other elements that I have not.

At soon.
Cordially.
Mary Murphy

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Mary...Your granfather's military records will probably answer many of your questions. You might try this link to obtain specific information concerning his military service. Good Luck!

http://www.archives.gov/st-lou is/military-personnel/

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we can identify him using genealogy, we can get his birthdate. Several people here have identified different William Murphys, but I think all have been rejected for one reason or another as possibly your grandfather. If someone has already done the research, he may well already be ancestors.com, or on the Church of the Latterday Saints site which turned up 246 names to look through.

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mo rmon_church_records.htm

Here is a possible one:

5. William MURPHY - Ancestral File
Gender: M Birth/Christening: 11 Jul 1895 Pickford, Chippewa, Mi

Pickford is about 350 miles north of Detroit, in the Upper Peninsula not far from Sault Ste. Marie.

They also allow you to search the Social Security Death Index on their site. Here is the SSDI site, which will actually give you the social security numbers:

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry. com/

Assuming that William Murphy was still alive when Social Security numbers were issued, and still in Michigan, here are a few of the William Murphys in the right age group, who got their Social Security numbers in Michigan:

2090. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 1 May 1887 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Sep 1983
2091. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 15 Sep 1903 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Oct 1980
2092. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 31 Dec 1900 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Feb 1971

2094. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 13 Jan 1893 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Sep 1970
2095. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 29 Nov 1889 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Oct 1969
2096. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 19 May 1892 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Mar 1980

2101. William MURPHY - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 18 Jul 1903 State Where Number was Issued: Michigan Death: Apr 1968

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Mary,
DtCtyGrl is short for "Detroit City Girl." Where did Germaine live? Did she ever move to a different location?

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did some research on Ancestry.com

1900 Census Detroit Michigan 557 Ferry Avenue
Murphy, William Head Jan. 1860 (40)Michigan, Ireland, Ireland (Moulder)
Murphy, Mini/Mimi Wife Sept. 1861 (38) Detroit, Swiden, Swiden
Murphy, William Son Nov. 1884 (15) (S) Detroit, Michigan, Detroit (Machinist)
Murphy, Lelia Daughter Oct. 1886 (13) (S) Detroit, Michigan, Detroit
Murphy, Clarencis Son Aug. 1895 (2) (S)
Murphy, Almma Daughter Nov. 1898 (1)

1910 Census Detroit Michigan 740 Mitchell Avenue
Murphy, William H. (50) Michigan, Ireland, Ireland / Molder / Radiator
Murphy, Minnie (49) Michigan, German, Germany
Murphy, William J. (26) Machinist)
Murphy, Lillian B. (24)
Murphy, Clarence A. (15)
Murphy, Elmer C. (12)

1920 Census Detroit Michigan 1004 Milwaukee Avenue
Murphy, Minnie (59) Head / Widowed
Murphy, William (36) Single / Mechanic Hand
Murphy, Clarence A. (25) Single / Stock Clerk, Auto Factory
Murphy, Elmer C. (22) Single/ Chaufer, Leather Co.

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Draft Card for William Henry Murphy states his birthdate as November 28, 1883 - Machinist - single - living at 1004 Milwaukee Avenue with his mother, Minnie, as the contact.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know whether Mary has any brothers? Really could possibly settle this once and for all with a DNA test if she has a brother. Y chromosomes stay the same through the male lineage. It could lead to a match of DNA sequences that could lead to the family of William.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump