Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 15, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Soupy! I got this is in the WXYZ studios in the Maccabees Building (Detroit Public Schools Building) in downtown Detroit, before they moved to Broadcast House in Southfield. I was devastated when I discovered that White Fang and Black Tooth were only arm puppets. I think it's why I'm still so cynical to this very day (sniffle, sniffle).
Soupy Sales WXYZ Maccabees Building Studio

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Margie. I didn't know that Peter Frampton was a part of Humble Pie. Only saw him when he was solo. He is born again.

Candy_man

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool photo Skippy.:^)

Candy_man

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the city wants to move all of down- town to Southfield?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is so yesterday. I think they'd like to move downtown Detroit to the exurbs - like Romeo, Monroe or Chelsea. Southfield was the wonder burb of our days but now it's the aging outer ring city with many of the problems Detroit faced in the 60's. I don't mean that as a criticism of Southfield, it's just the way things have become.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Larry I think you posting a photo of two fat nude lesbians rates #1 on off color post.

(Message edited by stillrockin on March 15, 2009)

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Garwood dogs snatched a turkey that someone had cooked or brought over one Thanksgiving too. Right off the counter, while it was resting. Sad story.

Can you remember anybody famous that you sat at the kitchen table with at the Garwood? I remember one night sitting there with the guys from Iron Butterfly and they were stoned and woofing down all of the loaves of cheap white bread and the mixture of sugar and cinnamon that was always in a bowl on the table. I felt like saying, "Hey, why are you guys eating all the bread and cinnamon?" But I was afraid that whoever always bought it might come in the kitchen and ask me, "Hey, why are you always eating all the bread and cinnamon?" So I just sat there and got high.
I remember sitting there getting tuned with Mitch Mitchell one night and have never figured out who else was there. Always suspected it was Jeff Beck from what someone else said.....but?

Anybody? The Garwood kitchen table.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stn, no about the Guitanjo-never heard or seen it or imagine playing such a thing... but I've recently had my banjo restored and am playin it now and then...and even made a wood case for it ..coffin shaped

1K -yes, also a devout Soupy fan, only I knew about the reality of Blacktooth and White Fang..still thought he was the funniest on TV..

Stillrockin

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody going to watch Larry the cable guy roast tonight?

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stlrkn.....I accept that ranking (not proudly) and do my best to think before hitting send now. I don't want to cramp anyone's style because that's the nature and beauty of this thread. It's just that, well...........if you weren't here on the blog I'm afraid the "Barbarians at the Gate" out there would seek other prey. You're an honorable man...........(postal money order only) so carry on.

I sat next to Gus once. I think fell off the chair, though. Does that still count?

Old_guy

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Dig deeper.

Old_guy

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember the kitchen at the Garwood?

Stillrockin

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do very well. my room was just of the kitchen.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Larry I forgive you. Step 8 still waiting for my letter or phone call.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved that kitchen. Okla. Mike and I used to have our "coffee" there every morning before he would go to work at the racetrack. That was #1 kitchen. The dumbwaiter was in the smaller prep/serving kitchen. Sent lots of drugs up and down in that thing. Sent Fergie down a couple times too. Nancy Sonnenberg knew her way around that kitchen and she would bake these delicious coffee cakes for us. After a skinny dip in the Artic Ocean, hot coffee and fresh baked crumb cake out on the veranda in the morning summer sun.......nuff said.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SR....8th step already covered. Maybe you should check out #10. It ain't bad. Keeps me busy.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG THE KITCHEN AND THE TABLE TOP ON THE POOL TABLE very fancy Ya? wish Hoover's pets were in the pool downstairs so we could all bond with them HA HA LOL

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gashl,I'm sure Soupy is the father of Mel Gibson Don't ya see the likeness?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Soupy Jewish?

Old_guy

Post Number: 549
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy Sale aka Milton Supman. According to Wikipedia (take it or leave it) his older brothers were nicknamed "Hambone" and "Chicken Bone", and so obviously he was nicknamed "Soup Bone." Later shortened to Soupy.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whaaatttt??

Old_guy

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should have at least one person named Hambone at the reunion. Even if we have to pay them to come. You have to be able to say, "Hey, there's Hambone!" Otherwise it's not really a party.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt...now thats a photo in motion, it makes
me want to see what he is seeing, never saw that one before ...
or if I did it went right out of my head... yuk yuk yuk

THE KITCHEN ... THE PANTRY... a few stories but I thought
I would wait until the reunion to share them. I think some
of your stories are a lot more interesting ... the veranda,
the home baked cakes ummmmmmm
The dumb waiter now that was pure fun......

Now this is a do U remember question?
a party... where fireworks went off in the basement room next to the pool... the room with the fireplace?

Old_guy

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got me on that one Isle.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Heidi...
was it Gus & You who said you lived on Elizabeth Lake,
seems to me I ran into Gus at the local shopping center( was it a giantway??? ) when we lived on Union Lake .... another party house ... seems like we invited him to one of our Bongo and Drum parties. That was when hardly anyone lived on the lakes in the winter time other then students.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay Old guy
it will take some time to write it,
but I promise to put some time into
it.

OG... I e-mailed U but got no reply now I am wondering if I sent of to cyber space?

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD
Soupy made my childhood a better place... he taught me how to spin a tale.. and laugh at all the stupid stuff

Stillrockin

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The space shuttle just went over my house how cool is that

Stillrockin

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could see it really well. WOW

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin.. spaced again and shuttling you say.. WOW that is cool