Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Op-ed columnist hopes Detroit City Council prevails in Cobo case « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Eisenstein believes a loss in court for Detroit's City Council would be a loss for metro Detroit as regards a regional convention center. See his column here: http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090316/OPINION05/90316060

I believe Edmund Burke said "The best is the enemy of the good." Eisenstein may be correct in his assertion that a new regional convention center would be best for metro Detroit, but I doubt that his vision could ever become a reality in this climate. If Eisenstein got his wish--a court-upheld Detroit City Council vote against the Cobo deal--I believe the consequences for metro Detroit would be severe. Eisenstein should take what he can get in this case. Perhaps in 20 or 30 years, the region will be ready, willing, and able to build world class convention center, but we'll never get there if the current Cobo deal fails to pass.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of ifs, ands plus buts.
I still don't see where the money would come to tear down the old COBO and build a new convention center. It's nice to dream big but you have to be grounded at some point in reality.
If that auto show goes, why build a bigger Cobo?
There isn't time to mess around with dreams.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is enough will to build a regional convention center, I can almost guarantee that it wont be on the Cobo site.

And I'd really like some of that stuff he's smoking. Really.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4288
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least in part, he makes some of the general arguments that JoAnn Watson makes save for the whole regional aspect. If this fiasco has revealed little else, it's that these kind of things makes some crazy-strange bedfellows.

This man's flying high, with the problem being that's a bit too far off the ground. lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.