Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Whole Foods in Detroit » Archive through February 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A thread has been started on the Whole Foods website suggesting a new store in Downtown Detroit. Similar to how we won the Colgate Children's hospital contest, i thought the detroit yes family could flood this blog with their positive suggestions of sites near downtown. You have to register, but just un-check the box and you won't get spam email. Now I know the probability is slim, but its worth the small effort.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.co m/forums/index.php?plckForumPa ge=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscuss ionId=Cat%3ab7a46641-decf-4337 -a3a5-93b2342d08bfForum%3abbfb 0510-f536-4fab-9cec-ae561906a2 67Discussion%3ac8dd75c1-0171-4 89c-b296-03bd8d9efffc&plckCate goryCurrentPage=0

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with your assumption that the probability is slim. There is a market in Detroit to support these types of stores and it's about time they start building them in the city. I'm sick of being disregarded as a customer, just because I live in Detroit.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought there would be a Trader Joe's by now

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just get on there and tell them the truth. If there's money to be made, they'll be here. I told them that there's a growing population and no major grocer to compete with. Enough said.

Lo_to_d

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12- I agree with you or else I wouldn't have started the thread.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lo_to_d - thanks for posting this link! a whole foods in detroit would be fantastic!

(Message edited by birdie on February 14, 2009)

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression, I'm MORE than happy that you started this thread, it's a great idea. In fact, I posted my support at the Whole Foods forum and I e-mailed all my friends that live in Detroit to do the same! wooo

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not usually one to say something like this, but wouldn't they look at the failure of Zaccharo's Market as an example of why even a small upscale market won't work? Maybe if they put one on or near the WSU campus, but even still I don't think there is enough demand for a Whole Foods. Even still aren't there two grocery stores in the vicinity of Northern Midtown?

Downtown Detroit only has about 6,000 people, with Greater Downtown having anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 (depending on how draw the line). While many of those people are indeed upscale and would love a Whole Foods, the majority of them aren't the type of crowd that would shop at Whole Foods.

Maybe, once light rail is introduced, but in the mean time, Whole Foods probably won't come...

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think many of the locations mentioned in the Whole Foods forums would be perfect for a Target, Meijer, or something similar. That way it would be a draw not only for people living in lofts, but also for residents of neighborhoods who probably wouldn't go for Whole Foods prices (which I know draw complaints even in Ann Arbor.)

Lo_to_d

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina-
If you include workers in the area, the count is more like 150k-200k. The difference between Zaccaros and Whole Foods is that Whole Foods sells more things that the average person wants to buy (example, cerial, frozen foods, name brands, variety, paper towel). IMO Zaccaro's isn't going out of business because of the lack clientel, but rather the amount that each patron spends on average. We made a point to shop there 1-2 times a week, literally trying to spend more money there, but it was usually followed by going to Honeybee (which by the way isn't less expensive) to get the rest of our needs. Zaccaros will be missed, but they could learn something from a Whole Foods business model on a smaller scale.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where to put a Whole Foods? Hmm... Ya know, I hear the Lafayette Building is available... :-)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame K. at one point said that he had been in meetings with them and was told that they located stores in areas with a certain percentage of college graduates, and that the locations being pitched in Detroit did not fit the bill. Don't know where those were exactly; as I recall this was back when the Tiger Stadium area redevelopment was being worked on. I don't bring this up to discourage you, just to note that that's apparently one of their criteria. If you carved downtown up a certain way, you could probably meet what they're after. I agree that the problem with Zaccaro's was that it was hard to get everyday stuff there. Yes, the eight-dollar pickles were good, but plain old Vlasics also have their place.

(Message edited by texorama on February 14, 2009)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was rather disappointed with the $8 pickles. Not nearly as good as they are at Mudgie's. :-)
There are plenty of places in Midtown, near WSU, that could be home to a Whole Foods. But I dunno if the ol' Corridor's reputation might be an issue.
Seems like between WSU and Woodbridge, you'd have a steady client base.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But that area is already served by University Foods.

Lo_to_d

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep em coming, 15 posts so far. Most other store suggestions only get 2-3 posts. I would love for their website moderator to come in on Monday morning and be like, what the f$%k a 100 posts for Detroit?

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.co m/forums/index.php?plckForumPa ge=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscuss ionId=Cat%3ab7a46641-decf-4337 -a3a5-93b2342d08bfForum%3abbfb 0510-f536-4fab-9cec-ae561906a2 67Discussion%3ac8dd75c1-0171-4 89c-b296-03bd8d9efffc&plckCate goryCurrentPage=0

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whole Paychecks, ooops I mean Whole Foods would be nice, but Trader Joe's would get my money every week.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice but in this economy not a chance. Whole Foods in many states has hiring freeze on, I would imagine Michigan is one of them........just checked they have 5 vacancies to fill http://www.wholefoodsmarket.co m/careers/state.php?s=MI

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you post on the forum!!

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.co m/forums/index.php?plckForumPa ge=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscuss ionId=Cat%3ab7a46641-decf-4337 -a3a593b2342d08bfForum%3abbfb0 510-f536-4fab-9cec-ae561906a26 7Discussion%3ac8dd75c1-0171-48 9c-b296-03bd8d9efffc&plckCateg oryCurrentPage=0

Bigd
Username: Bigd

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted. If enough people post, it might catch someone's eye. Worth a try!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted.

I agree with Bigd.

Post, it will catch someone's eye.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done and done. I posted.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they can come in where the closed farmer jack on jefferson was.

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh no, that poor Whole Foods website has been infected with the la la land "enthusiasm" only DY can provide.

There are only two circumstances that would allow Whole Foods (or Trader Joe's, or any major chain retailer) to locate in downtown: first, a 180 in the economy that jump starts the dwindling downtown/midtown colonization by urban hipsters with disposable income; and/or second, the entire population of West Bloomfield and Novi (or another locale currently served by a Whole Foods location) abandon their current locations and relocate along the southern Woodward corridor. Until then...enjoy your dreams, and don't forget to blame the meanies for...er, what was it again? Oh yeah, "Not seeing Detroit's awesome laser-firing/water-walking/sel f-healing potential."

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the spirit, Thafuzz. We need more people like you...

Birdie

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the whole foods website forum asks customers to request a location. what harm is there in requesting one? they are a huge corporation and obviously they'll do their own research before locating anywhere.

and thafuzz, what stats do you have to indicate that the "downtown/midtown colonization by urban hipsters with disposable income" is dwindling?

from all accounts i've heard it's on the rise.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to make this into a "Whole Foods vs. Zaccaro's" argument, but hypothetically, one might argue that the combination of the recognizable Whole Foods name and the marketing muscle behind the chain would give it a higher chance of succeeding than a smaller specialty shop. It would definitely pull in customers from a larger radius than a Zaccaro's ever could. It's very different -- a shopping destination vs. a neighborhood store.

Currently, the nearest Whole Foods to downtown is in Troy. Therefore, a downtown location could probably draw customers from all across the city (not just downtown/midtown, but also Palmer Woods, Indian Village, etc), as well as places like Grosse Pointe, Ferndale, Dearborn, maybe even Windsor.

I'm not saying the probability is high, but if we don't believe it's possible, nobody will.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i submitted a request for a closer store twice, about 9 years ago and again about 4 years ago. this was before they had this blog/thread thing. they have a list of criteria (see below) and the person submitting the information has to provide all specific details. it sounds like many of you have some great ideas. i'm definitely tired of driving to the 2 closest locations to me. i do it less and less now. i often wonder if those other stores would fight to not have a detroit store because they would lose so many customers. i see folks from detroit there all the time. i think that happens more than we think. i also get angry about meijer's, target, costco. it would be awesome to have a location in the city with all of these stores (plus others).

If you have a retail location you think would make a good site for Whole Foods Market, Inc., please review the following guidelines carefully for consideration:

* 200,000 people or more in a 20-minute drive time
* 40,000–75,000 Square Feet
* Large number of college-educated residents
* Abundant parking available for our exclusive use
* Stand alone preferred, would consider complementary
* Easy access from roadways, lighted intersection
* Excellent visibility, directly off of the street
* Must be located in a high traffic area (foot and/or vehicle)

Please refer to our Master Broker List to find contact information. To submit a site for consideration, please send as much of the following information as possible:

* Photographs (or renderings if under development/construction)
* Site/Building plan
* Information about surrounding businesses
* Area demographics and/or neighborhood information

you can also email new store suggestions to:
newstore.requests@wholefoods.c om

Williamsfamilyfungi
Username: Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe everyone is so gung-ho about Whole Foods. I'm not going to take the time to get into my problems with this mega-chain, but the issues are many and varied.

How about a co-op? That seems more realistic. What ever happened to the Cass Co-op I hear about now and again? I think re-opening something like that in mid-town could really succeed.

Look at the Ypsilianti co-op, they do very well for a small place. They are located in a hood that used to be pretty rough but is now on the way up. They are competing with all the other high-end groceries in Ann Arbor, not to mention the Ann Arbor co-op which is less than 10 miles away. But still they have enough loyal customers right in the area to keep them afloat.

Co-op is the way to go. I fit the Whole Foods demographic, but will no shop there because of the many reasons I didn't mention above(heh). And I think there are many more like me in mid-town at least.

Birdie

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah! a co-op would be fantastic! i heartily agree. the cass cooridor food co-op was on willis (where the spiral collective is now) for a long time before it moved down to a more desolate block on charlotte. it closed maybe five years ago (?), i believe due to internal corruption. it was great when it was on willis.

i've never been to the ypsilanti co-op, but i love the ann arbor one. that food bar is so delicious!

Detroit_renew
Username: Detroit_renew

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It’s really disappointing to see people (jajoji & Detroitrealist) post negative comments on the whole foods site. Why would you ever discourage a company from opening a location downtown Detroit? Lets stay positive Detroiters...keep up with the wonderful comments.