Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 14, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD Even though I was not there on Monday night I could feel the energy from your photo's .... Thanks..
I have been to the Owosso Woodard"s family business and was always treated with kindness by their employes and maybe a family member or two, a Long long working time ago. It sounds like he had a resounding send off \\\\\\\\||******||///////////

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OKAY OG ,now that was a waste of video.. :-(
but here is some funny humor to balance our senses,
I hope this gets everyone laughing.......
This is called
Rent a Person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2w9cKFiCrSU&fmt=18

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY! Come on you guys, that's my mom in that video.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY YOU... OLD GUY and my papa was a rolling stone......

. :-) just have to happy face it

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this will help explain things.
you're doing a great job, hoovie
Thanks Gash.

Old_guy

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.gif

Peace

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4175
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi gang..Gus is still out in AZ .I've been filling him in on the thread and got our room and tickets for the bash. We're bringing the boat,cameras, and we are still working on getting the reel to reel on CD of Stonefront . Big hello to Oldguy, Stnfrnt, and Stillrockin. Call him you guys. heidi

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey are you guy's all in bed or what?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isle, thanks for the reminder that Lyman Woodard was from the Owosso/Lansing area. I'd always thought of him as a Detroiter, which he truly was of course. His family background and upbringing, mentioned in a book I read about Detroit and Michigan music, indicated his family was from that area. I can't seem to remember the book title at this moment. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures and I wish all of you could've been there to jam out. It was music fit for all of the Gar Wooders (GarWoodians?). Heaven knows we experienced great music at the house, from Stonefront to Cactus.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, I love the Bush ride. Have you seen the action video making the rounds where you can throw a shoe at Bush and score points? I may still have it if you'd like a copy. It's really funny. Anyone interested, drop me a line. 1KielsonDrive@live.com

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgrl80....everybody east of Pacific Coast Highway has an 8:00 P.M. curfew/lights out at the old home. It's usually rockinrona and me this time of night. She must be out sailing into another Hawaiian sunset.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to my friend's son's first gig tonight. He's 16. His band played a youth/teen club for the first time. I think their bass player got cold feet and didn't show up. One of the moms said the bass player tonight wasn't the guy who's been practicing with them up until now. Anyway, Alex is the drummer. He was a madman. His band thrashed their way through the show. For the first 20 minutes I don't think Alex looked up one time. For the next 20 minutes all he did was smile. I asked him afterward what was up? He said he was so tired and made so many mistakes, that all he and his bandmates could do was laugh. Everyone had fun. Another generation is hard at it. My ears are still ringing from 8:30 PM. Does this remind you of your first gigs?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 514
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scared shitless
My knees are still knocking from this one....high school talent show; circa 1964-65. Socrates and the Thinkers.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4182
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's hot -

http://www.planetdan.net/pics/ misc/nakedhillary.htm

Bigb23

Post Number: 4183
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Socrates and the Thinkers.

and where was Dave Berry on this one ? (Great name for a band).

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 515
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember ever raising or lowering the tie-die/peace symbol flag?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops-dye

Bigb23

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grateful Dad Tour 2009 :-)

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SHHHHHHHH HOOVERS SLEEPING

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while not wanting to change the tone,.. uh...here's MY first band shot...Marmalade playing a bar in Lawton OKla..just before I went to Nam we formed a band at FT Sill..notice the old Ampeg amp, the Rickey bass (TOm Loisseau from Baltimore), and this unbelievable guitarist-playing with teeth, my D18 Martin which later warped to hell in Nam...tom was instrumental in me finding my Les Paul...
marmalade

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kinda nut would play the guitar with his teeth? Gleeman, it's so cool that you've preserved the photos. Are you still in contact with any band members? Marmalade, eh? Didn't a band name Marmalade do a song called Green Tambourine? Stoney, I like Socrate's frat outfits, except you're not wearing any madras plaids or mohair sweaters. I remember you posting that photo some time ago. It's so typical of the period - white levis or khakis, white socks with penny loafers and oxford shirts. Your band's name reminds me of a coffee house in Detroit back in the 60's called the Cup of Socrates. Heeeaaaaavvy!!

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1k in answer to your ?... Jimi Hendrix .. and, no, different Marmalade .. peace

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction: www.myspace.com/soldriventrain
(from South Carolina)

Old_guy

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, I was looking at that photo and wondering how those flags were placed up that high. I didn't remember that you could raise or lower them. I figured Gash might have built a ladder or something.

Did anybody ever change any of the lights up in the cornice or were those all originals?

Howdy Heidi.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...Yes bulbs were changed a couple times, you could access the are from the eaves, up where Stnfrnt made a practice room, where one of the arched windows were. I lived up in there for a short time near the end....Spooky but comfortable....

Old_guy

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash, really? You mean you could access the bulbs from behind? Was that part of the attic?

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people talking about changing bulbs made me remember when Coleman Young hung lights on the Ambassador Bridge. My Dad help build that bridge.
Thanks for the memory. Peace

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy_man - your dad helped build the Ambassador Bridge! How cool is that? Now every time I cross it I shall think of Mr. Candy_man Sr. I think it's a much better think than a Manny think! :-)

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Stillrockin, you're working the door?