Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Looking to move... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for a place to move preferably in downtown Detroit or close to it with 2 bedrooms for about 900 a month. Also a quiet place that is well kept. I already live basically in the downtown area (Hyde Park townhomes in Lafayette Park)

I've checked the Jeffersonian, but people have said that it has gone down. I'm not sure about the Millender Center and how is what used to be known as the Trolley Plaza? I heard they renovated?

Does anybody have suggestions?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Don't.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK awesome. Anyone else?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you considered Cadillac Square Apartments? It's cheap, big, centrally located, and safe, a good pick in my opinion.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard that Herb Strather has some nice condos for you in Midtown.

Trayd
Username: Trayd

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents used to live at Trolley Plaza (now Washington Square). I would say definitely check it out, ask people that live there now, etc to see if it's bee renovated. When my parents first moved there, it was pretty decent. They had a great apt on the 18th floor. But as the years went on, it turned to crap. Elevators wouldn't work half the time, all kinds of riff-raff hanging around the front desk area. It was a mess. They moved out 2 yrs ago, right as new management was taking over. So it's possible they've made many changes. I'd just check it out first.

Jandruka
Username: Jandruka

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Trolley (or Washington Square) has been renovated and it doesn't look quite as bad. There are some pictures here:

http://www.washingtonsquaredet roit.com

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 749
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you actually gone and looked at the Jeffersonian in-person? You may want to formulate your own opinion.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in The Pavilion better known as Lafayette Pavilion since 2005. We are the Mies Van Der Rohe designed tower on the west side of Lafayatte Park. It's pretty quiet and well kept up. I don't know how their two bedrooms are as I have lived in a studio.

I am sorry to say I am moving at the end of April due to a home purchase in Huntington Woods. I will definitely miss living downtown but it was time for a house (especially at these prices) and I do love my new neighborhood as it's still "citylike" and close to the city but safer and has better schools. I will always love Detroit.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Detroit Monitor and Craigslist ads. Avoid Boydell and Cheryl Huff properties. $900 won't be enough to get a 2BR in any of the new developments, but there are plenty of other options. Try negotiating in this market. Cash is king these days. If you've got the cash, offer 3-4 months up front in order to get the total cost reduced (unless you think you can make more in the stock market).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.