Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 4 Bros & Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I have a question. The movie "Four Brothers" I borrowed from the library. It started out good enough, but about mid-way through I declared that it sucked and took it out of the DVD player. Well, EVERYone else I've mentioned this movie to says that "it's great!" So... my question... is this actually a good flick? Perhaps I am simply jaded. BTW, the Detroit scenes are rather authentic.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a terrible movie... by the way, only 1 or 2 scenes (I'm pretty sure one was the party store) were actually filmed in Detroit. The rest, if I recall, was filmed in Toronto.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a really good movie in the way that Detroit 9000 is a really good movie.

Ridiculous/Bad Acting/20 minute fight scenes where no one reloads their weapon, etc. Reminiscent of a good blaxploitation film.

Think of it as entertainment, not enlightenment. If you want a film about socioeconomic political mumbo jumbo and feelings, dia / main art is the place to be.

If you want to see fist fights with little to no plot, Rent 4 brothers.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A ha! I feel vindicated. Yeah, I said to a group of strangers, "Ya can't just walk into a high school gymnasium and hold everyone at gunpoint." The response I got was "Oh, in Detroit you can!"

It just goes to show how misunderstood and mis-represented our fair City is, IMHO. Oh the stigma!

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It just goes to show how misunderstood and mis-represented our fair City is, IMHO. Oh the stigma!"

Actually, Ggores, back in the summer of '02 or '03 the gym of the Adams Butzel recreation center was held up by several masked guys with AK-47s. There was a large club of seniors in the gym at the time who met there weekly to exercise. Thankfully I was able to run out of the gym as the guys were storming in.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was pretty good...then again, I'm easy to entertain when it comes to movies.

Although I still can't understand where they got the idea of this huge frozen lake expanse fitting somewhere in Detroit.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was filmed in Hamilton, not Toronto. It is a great movie.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.