Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 'School's Out Forever' photos by James D. Griffion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twelve images by the local documentary photographer named above, a 32-year-old UM law school grad originally from K'zoo, have been posted here at the Brooklyn-based Vice Magazine site for more than two weeks . . .
. . . and got a shout-out this afternoon from Atlantic mag blogger Andrew Sullivan:
quote:

Viceland has a series of photographs from Detroit's abandoned public schools. There's something oddly chilling about them - a whiff of cultural and social death.

As vivid as anything we've seen from other urban explorers, including Roosevelt Warehouse book depository shots . . .
. . . though these are especially well-photographed and haunting.
Jim introduces his photo essay them with a four-paragraph commentary that ends this way:
quote:

People tend to have a visceral reaction to the sight of books piled ten feet high and left to rot in a windowless warehouse or strewn about a classroom floor. They seem to have more sympathy for books than for the children who’ll never have the chance to use them. . . . When I see schools left like this, I know exactly what waits for many of these kids. I see it every day on the streets.

And oh yes, searched here to see if this has been posted already came up empty on his name and essay title . . . so assume it's not a belated echo nonetheless.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those photos amaze me. So much waste and where's the money?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3589
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kudos to my flickr buddy! his work is amazing! too bad an anonymous internet troll has flooded the spread with comments like "just goes to show you blacks can't do anything right".
(oh well, at least nobody's blaming teachers unions).

(Message edited by barnesfoto on March 14, 2009)

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim has a cool blog that features a lot of photos:
http://www.sweet-juniper.com/

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great stuff, sweet-juniper has been a favorite resource of mine for years. Congrats James! Thanks for bringing national attention to this dire matter.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"great stuff, sweet-juniper has been a favorite resource of mine for years."

+1

real nice folks run that site.

Nate
Username: Nate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Props to Sweet-Juniper, always. A great resource.

Samjkra
Username: Samjkra

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an absolute eye-opener. Where has all the funding gone? The lottery? Everything? Who the hell flushed the toilet on a great city?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.