Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Bill Davidson RIP « Previous Next »
Archive through March 14, 2009Drm30 03-14-09  12:29 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, my bad. I spent a few years in Orlando some years back and was confusing the date of when their stadium was built with when the JLA was built.

Regardless, my point still stands. There's a night and day difference between the JLA and the Place. Even if the city built a stadium with tax money some ten years later it wouldn't be anywhere as nice as the Palace.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if Bill Davidson was Michigan's richest man, but he was the richest in SE Michigan.

He was not a fan of Detroit city government (especially after his failed racetrack at the State Fair Grounds), but he was a fan of Detroit institutions (such as the DSO).

Were his children as involved in his businesses as the Ilitch family is in theirs? I'm curious to find out if the family business will remain in the family.

Also Mr. Davidson owned the Tampa Bay NHL franchise and Pine Knob (DTE Energy Theatre).

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the fine print on the corner of your storm-door window car window. It may well have a "G" for Guardian on it.

Largely forgotten is how Davidson once closed a Guardian glass plant in Detroit or very close by, putting many people out of work and transferring the work out-of-state. It's covered in the book "Working Detroit," put out by WSU Press.

So, who owns the Pistons now? A relative of Davidson's?

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Decades ago, Davidson hired a plant manager from a rival glass plant and told the man that if he would get Davidson's new plant up and running, Davidson would give him a substantial bonus. The man did just that - got the Guardian plant running.

After a couple of years, the man approached Davidson and said, "Well, I think it's time I received my bonus."

Davidson simply said, "No."

The man replied "What do you mean, "No"? You said you would ive me the money if I got your plant running, which is exactly what I did."

To which Davidson retorted, "So, what do you want me to say, I screwed you? OK - I screwed you."

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ Proven story or just more pro-union bullshit?

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those asking about who owns the Pistons now -- he has a wife and son that are apart of both businesses, and they will assume responsibility.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090314/S PORTS0102/903140438

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Proven story or just more pro-union bullshit?

What does that story have to do with unions? They aren't mentioned.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder How Isiah Thomas feels about Mr. D. When Isiah retire he was under the impression Davidson was going to give him or sell him ( not sure which it was) partial ownership of the Pistons. Mr. Davidson didn't give him shit.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pistons are not a Detroit team. They were until Davidson moved them. Since then, Detroit hasn't had a team.

The "Detroit" Shock is a joke. They never even played a single game there. Why not put a team in Poughkeepsie, NY and call them "Detroit?"

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those of you speaking ill of him really don't know who this man was. He was beyond generous-

"But his leadership ability, innovative ideas and massive philanthropy spoke volumes for him. He gave away more than $80 million in the 1990s alone, including $15 million to the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York in 1994 to create the William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education - the largest donation ever made to a single institution of Jewish education in the country.

Others benefiting from his philanthropy include Shaarey Zedek, Hadassah, the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, Israel's Weizmann Institute of Science, Jerusalem Architectural Park and Schechter Institute of Jewish Studies in Israel. The University of Michigan has been one of his largest secular beneficiaries."

http://www.jnonline.us/main.as p?SectionID=23&SubSectionID=58 &ArticleID=6369

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: "^^^^ Proven story or just more pro-union bullshit?"

Actually, Patrick, it was an pro-Kiwanis Club post.

(What? Makes about as much sense as your post.)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6222
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater, with due respect... he was beyond generous... but unfortunately most of that generosity was "beyond Detroit".

The 3 richest families in Michigan are the Devos and Van Andel families, and Bill Davidson. The Devos and Van Andel families have been VERY generous to Grand Rapids.

However, when it comes to Bill Davidson, some folks here ask... what has he done for Detroit?

Now granted he has been a benevolet benefactor to the DSO, and the Piston's have been good to Detroit kids... but when you're the richest man in the state... the question does and will come up...

And the truthful answer is that he has been far more generous to Ann Arbor, New York and Israel than he has to Detroit.

That's not disrespectful... it's reality. Now granted, it would be nice if he left some legacy in his will to Detroit in whatever fashion... but for some reason I don't see that forthcoming... but I hope I'm wrong!

(Message edited by Gistok on March 14, 2009)

Xstigmatax
Username: Xstigmatax

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the ignorance on this board especially from people like Jtf1972 continues to amaze me day in and day out. Some of you need to get over yourself and the whole "they are not south of 8 mile" mentality. If this was Chicago and the Pistons played at the All State Arena you would not hear stuck up asses saying "they are not a detroit team they play in *insert suburb*"

I'm curious whats going to happen to the lightning, you know the NHL team that won the cup the same year as the DETROIT Pistons won. There had always been a hope he would move them here to the palace now they will probably be sold off.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me help with the answer to your question. Davidson sold the Lighting last year.

As for moving them to the Palace, to compete against a team with an entrenched fan base that goes beyond SE Michigan would have been financial suicide. Have you ever hear of the Detroit Vipers?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Atwater, much of Bill Davidson's fortune came at the expense of workers. Bill Davidson hated unions and any and all workers who spoke up for their rights, union or not. When you deprive the very workers who make your living for you, you are not generous and not a benefactor. I'm sure Mr. Davidson took hundreds of millions of dollars from workers by denying them their rights and jobs. It would be easy for me to swindle or embezzle a large sum of money, give it to an organization or charity and declare myself a generous benefactor. It's unfortunate and hypocritical that organizations like the UoM take his money and say nothing about his business practices. Of course, the UoM Business School endorses those very practices. Bill Davidson is no hero to me. I had too many friends who lost their jobs and livelihoods because of his selfish and cruel methods. RI whatever......

Brg

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to speak ill of the dead, but I have read nice tributes to Mr. Davidson. I have seen Joe D., Wilson praise him as a great boss. There has been the talk about what he has given. The one thing that is not being discussed is his bread and butter. What made Bill Davidson the man he was? Guardian Industries. Everyone who wants to talk good about the man has not mention the business that made him a billionaire. I too have read the stories about Mr. D. being one of the sharks out there. If anyone didn't know better they would think that Davidson is known only because of the Pistons.

So....the question for the day is....if Davidson didn't own the Pistons and the Palace, would any care about his passing knowing his business rep?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5973
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care about his passing now. My last post on this particular dead corporate bastard.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much was Davidson worth? I thought Matty Maroun was the single richest person in Metro Detroit. And where do the Fords rank among the richest families in Michigan?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/20 08/54/400list08_The-400-Riches t-Americans-Michigan_7Rank.htm l

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem with showering all of this praise on Mr. Davidson is much of what other posters are saying.

You get a young MBA grad out of a school...say Michigan for example. I'm sure this person has taken a business ethics class which is part of many MBA programs and looks at the business model which Davidson used to grow his main business. Guess what ? Whatever that person learned in class just went out the window.

Why spend money and time on R&D to increase my companies knowledge base when I can just infringe on other companies patents, steal other companies secrets and steal key employees from other companies. So what If I get caught,I got what I needed, I'll just pay the fine and chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Yes, he was a generous person and that is a matter of public record. But so was his anti-union, lack of business ethics ways of doing things also a part of that same public record.

Atwater

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An obituary from an international site (The Jerusalem Post) :
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/S atellite?cid=1237114834371&pag ename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShow Full

Brg, lots of people care about his passing. He gave huge amounts of money to the Jewish community in metro Detroit, New York and especially Israel.

Oldredfordette, will you do so much in your lifetime to help your community as this "corporate bastard" did in his?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oldredfordette, will you do so much in your lifetime to help your community as this "corporate bastard" did in his?"

I think a certain someone is playing "hate the very rich" out of jealousy over the fact they have nothing close to his wealth.
I admire guys like him.They inspire others to strive for their best.Im not bagging groceries, demonizing the guy who owns the store. Id more or less consider the fact that he owns it and use that as a reason to aspire to the highest potential.
You can be jealous and hate on guys like him, or you can see what he accomplished and use that as motivation to try harder.

Brg

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater, I am not knocking what he gave. I am questioning why he gave so much.

Notice that a few of the posters are commenting on the ruthlessness that Davidson demonstrated as a businessman which allowed him to live in luxury and to give so much.

I checked out the obit from the Jerusalem Post and this like other stories about Davidson skips about him being the CEO of Guardian Industries. If they bring up stories about Guardian then they have to drag out the dirty dealing that Davidson used to acquired his fortune.

I'm a Pistons fan. I love the Pistons but years ago I read an article about Davidson that blew me away. He basically cheated to acquire his billions and he didn't care. He was a robber-baron.

Back to his love of giving large sums of money, I end this with Matthew 19:24: And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny thing, brg - bill davidson's interest in scripture ends where matthew begins!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "He gave away more than $80 million in the 1990s alone,"

In lieu of claiming it as income which would be subject to Federal tax liabilities. He didn't "give" it, he deferred it.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Oldredfordette, will you do so much in your lifetime to help your community as this "corporate bastard" did in his?"

How is building something for one race of people and deferring funds to one race of people helping the community?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eesh. i worked for guardian, and i must say, the workforce was quite homogeneous. i even remember a recruiter asking if a hiring manager at guardian would be offended if a minority candidate was sent over for a position! i always thought that anyone who owned a company should be able to hire whomever he or she wanted - until i worked there. it just didn't seem right to me.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater,
What did Davidson do for "this community"...other than charge us to attend Pistons games (and to park)?

Atwater

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How is building something for one race of people and deferring funds to one race of people helping the community?

Well, that "one race of people" was his community..

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has nothing to do with how much wealth Bill Davidson had - it has to do with how he acquired his wealth. I don't give a shit if he's the richest man in the world. If he broke and hurt people in the process - shame on him. I'm not talking about a few people, it's inevitable some people will be hurt. I'm talking about all of his union busting and anti-labor tactics over his lifetime. He was ruthless. That's not a hero in any way, shape or form. If you love him for his sports teams and accomplishments, without researching his background, you're awful shallow. As I said before, if you acquire something illegally or by harming others, and you give it away receiving adulation and recognition in return, you're no less culpable or criminal. Do you think recipients of his money will turn around and say: 'oh, this money is tainted by his greed and avarice, so we're going to return it?' Not likely. They make the case for why he was so great to make the case for why they deserve his money. As far as I'm concerned, Bill Davidson was nothing less than a scab.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm curious whats going to happen to the lightning, you know the NHL team that won the cup the same year as the DETROIT Pistons won. There had always been a hope he would move them here to the palace now they will probably be sold off."

Hope? Maybe in the Palace organization, but nowhere else. The NHL would never allow another franchise near Detroit. It would be almost impossible for any new team to convert Red Wings fans. It would have been a faliure of epic proportions.

I worked a summer at Guardian Photo. Never talked to the man personally but I was quite amused when I used to see him walking the halls and found out he was the owner. He looked nothing like you would expect an owner of such a large company to look like. Always disheveled in a wrinkled suit.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: