Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Why Homrich sucks and why it wins the useless bloodsuckers award... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a great deal of respect for the building construction trade and for those who physically labor to build and rebuild our cities over time.

and i know that demolition and deconstruction is part of a city's life cycle, and a healthy process for places to go through in order to grow and thrive.

that said, i've also become distinctly perturbed by the severe one sidedness of the process in detroit over the last several decades, especially when the buildings targeted are structurally sound and could just as easily be targeted for rehab as for demo.

of course, this has as much to do with our meta policy priorities as much as anything. why do we propose spending millions of tax payer dollars to demo the lafayette building, when that money could be used to mothball and rehab?

it is in this line of thinking that i'd like to nominate homrich demo company as march's Useless Bloodsucker of the Month...an award for the company or individual that is NOT forwarding the city's good and plenty.

i know, they're a suburban company just filling a city vacuum--ferguson came in a close second--but they're doing it by taking public dollars to do nothing but diminish the city's hard core urban fabric. i wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

i'm sorry to be piss and vinegar on detroitYES, but i felt compelled to share. anyone else think homrich blows(up)?

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but they are getting paid to do a job. Meaning someone in the public or private domain has hired them to carry out their wishes. Unless Homrich is buying these buildings?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 758
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why blame the guys doing their job? The DDA & other government entities are paying them most of the time. When our own government wants to tear this city down, you know something's messed up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.