Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old Car Factories » Archive through September 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather grew up on St. Jean. Moved there in 1915. His mom rented out the attic to several boarders (in shifts) who worked at the many above-mentioned nearby plants. They had to use a ladder to access the attic because they were generally filthy. Mom didn't want them walking thru the house.

Anyways. when Chrysler (Plymouth) put that huge sign up on Jefferson (1925-26?), it lit up the entire neighborhood. Needless to say, night-times were pretty bright, and the neighbors all complained. I recall a similar sign, if not the same sign, from my younger days living on Bewick in the early 70's. Could someone post a photo of it? By the way, the first word I ever learned to spell was 'UNIROYAL.'

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is off topic and I apologize in advance but is Mazak the same Mazak that used to post on a forum in Daytona Beach?

Mazak
Username: Mazak

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall posting on a forum in Daytona Beach but I am from Florida around the Orlando,Kissimmee,& St.Cloud area.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289--the Omni/Horizon models were built at the Belvedere IL, plant, where all of the small Chrysler offerings have been built since the Omni?Horizon models were introduced in 1978.

Mazak, I think that photo dates to about 1910, shortly after Chalmers had the plant built. It's from the WSU/Detroit news Virtual Motor City website. The Chalmers plant was the basis for Chrysler Jefferson assy. added on to many times over.

Mazak
Username: Mazak

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some information that might interest someone.

The Wadsworth Manufacturing Co. manufactured auto bodies, auto tops and auto parts in the factories at 1252-1270 Jefferson Ave around the 1890's - 1920. In these same factories before automobiles were manufactured was a group of Marine & Stationary farm engine manufacturing companies that were owned and operated by Wadsworth manufacturing Co. Detroit Engine Works, Michigan Steel Boat Co., Detroit Motor Car Supply Co.,Detroit Boat Co., Columbia Engine Co. Read the letter below from the Ford Motor Co. Also located next to the Wadsworth factory was the Maxwell & Chalmers automobile plant.

Some of the addresses found on original literature.

Detroit Engine Works
1242 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan.
1263 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1907).
171 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1909).
1250-1280 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1911).
1256-1500 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (Jan 02,1913).
1036 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1913).
187 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1913).
361 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1913).
66 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (April 15, 1915).
1415 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (April 15, 1915).
1250 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1915 Phone book).
115 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (Dec 12, 1916).
420 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1916).
445 Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1916).
Corner of Jefferson & Bellevue Ave Detroit, Michigan.
Kercheval & Conners Creek Detroit, Michigan. (1918 Phone book).
94 Hatton Garden, London, E.C. England. Head Office and Works Detroit, Michigan, USA.

Wadsworth Manufacturing Co.
280-284 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1903).
1256 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1903).
1252-1270 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1905).
1526 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1915).
1256 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (Auto bodies) (1915 Phone book).
Jefferson & Conners Creek Detroit, Michigan. (Factory) (1915 Phone book).

Detroit Motor Car Supply Co. (Sandow).
Corner of Bellevue & Iron Street Detroit, Michigan.
88 Canton Ave, Detroit, Michigan. (1913).

Columbia Engine Co.
Jefferson & Bellevue Avenues Detroit, Michigan.
Jefferson Ave. East at Bellevue, Detroit, Michigan. (Feb 24, 1912).
1273-1285 Jefferson Ave. East Detroit, Michigan. (Feb 24, 1912).
Holborn, London, E. C. England. (Feb 24, 1912).
1275 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1915 Phone Book).
1256 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1918 Phone Book).

Michigan Steel Boat Co.
280-284 Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan. (1903).
1252-1270 Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan. (1905).
1300 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1906).
1252 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1909).
1273 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1911).
1347 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1913).
Dubois & Guoin Detroit, Michigan. (1918 Phone book).
Corner of Kercheval Ave & Conner Creek Detroit, Michigan. (1919).

Detroit Boat Co.
1252 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1909).
1122 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1912).
1154 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1912).
1250 Jefferson Ave Detroit, Michigan. (1915 Phone Book).

United States Tire Co.
245 Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan. (1915 Phone book).
245 Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan. (1918 Phone book).

Time Line

Wadsworth Manufacturing Co. 1890s-1920, American Motor Body Company 1920-1923, American Motor Body Corporation 1923-1925, (sold to Chrysler in 1925).

United States Tire Co. fit into this time line somewhere around the 1917 time period but details are not known at this time.

In 1919 and 1920 both Fisher and Wadsworth supplied Ford with sedan bodies for the Model T.

Source:

An Online Encyclopedia of American Coachbuilders & Coachbuilding.
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/ w/wadsworth/wadsworth.htm

FMC archives - general letter no. 347 dated Feb 20, 1919

February 20, 1919
General Letter No. 347

INSTRUMENT BOARD
One length of board is being furnished for sedans, both Wadsworth and Fisher made, and as the Wadsworth body is somewhat wider between pillars at instrument board section than the Fisher body, it becomes necessary for various reasons that one length be furnished for both jobs and when branch receives same it will be in order to cut off ends of the board to fit Fisher body if Fisher bodies are being received. After cutting the boards to size, see that the imitation leather is again placed over ends of boards in a workmanlike manner. Instruments will be shipped to branch from main plant with instrument boards until the body manufacturers can bring the instrument boards through to fit their respective bodies, after which they will ship bodies with the instruments and wiring fastened thereto so that same can be fastened to dash assembly in accordance with diagrams which you have at this time. Coupe bodies are now going forward with the instrument board in position.

The sedan bodies were made by at least two different body builders: the Fisher Body Corporation and the Wadsworth Body Corporation. There are subtle differenced between the two manufacturers.

The "Centerdoor" Sedan body was built from 1915 till 1923 when it was replaced by the Four door sedan and the Tudor sedan. Over the period from 1915 till 1923, around 500,000 "Centerdoor" bodies were built. In 1920 alone, around 81,616 "Centerdoors" were built.

The centerdoor body style made Ford one of the first automobile manufactures to offer an enclosed automobile that the entire family could fit into. Remember that ford offered an enclosed 2-passenger coupe in 1909, but the centerdoor which was first offered in 1915 would hold 5 passengers. At the time, the open touring cars and roadsters were the most popular selling body styles, but only 10 years later, the sedan would become the most popular body style.

American Motor Body Corp. was formed in 1923 by Charles M. Schwab of Bethlehem Steel and other investors as a reorganization of American Motor Body Co., formed in 1920 to succeed Wadsworth Manufacturing Co. The automobile body plant in Detroit that Wadsworth had operated was sold to Chrysler in 1925. Meanwhile in 1923, American Motor Body acquired the Philadelphia factory of Hale & Kilburn Co., an old established manufacturer of railroad car and streetcar seats, and expanded its line to include tandem-rear-axle buses and trucks marketed under the Six-Wheel name but also sometimes known as "Safeway" buses. There were a few 4/5-ton trucks, which were sold in Turkey, South Africa, India and the Sudan as well as in the United States, and the heavy-duty bus design with its Continental engine was favorably received in several large cities, particularly New York, Cleveland, Detroit and Kansas City. Most of the bodies were built by Wolfington in Philadelphia, but some were supplied by Auto Body Co. (Lansing), American Car Co., St. Louis Car Co., Fitzgibbon & Crisp, Kuhlman, Lang and Hoover. Approximately 400 Six­Wheel buses were sold. The company also had interests in several small operating companies in New Jersey during the 1920's. MBS

56packman

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the plant layout for the NEW Pontiac motors V-8 plant in the fall of 1954. The red arrows indicate the path of a tour given on the occasion of the grand opening of this newly renovated and expanded facility.

Pontiac 1

Pontiac 2

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently found this great photo-history blog on Flint Buick City. http://buickcity.blogspot.com/

He links to this OCF thread on his blog. Go over and check him out.

Gbad
Username: Gbad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoy the Old Car Factory threads and
decided to visit Detroit this coming week for the many cruise events. I was wondering if I
could get some recommendations for some older
factory drive byes while I am in the area.I only
have about half a day but would like to hear your
suggestions.I am somewhat familiar with Detroit. Thanks

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you staying?

I would drive by Ford's Highland Park factory, Chrysler's Lynch Road complex, and Packard.

Gbad
Username: Gbad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Staying in Grand Blanc to attend "Back to the Bricks" events.Would like to see relatives in
Bloomfield Hills area and make a pass thru to
Detroit old manufacturing sites.Orig. Flint
resident however bailed to San Francisco for
the summer of love and stayed in the area, but
my original education was mech/auto engr.I guess
after 43 years I still am Mich. at heart.Old
ruins are interesting to me.Retired architect.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the sites MikeM mentioned, you can also drive by the former Ford Piquette Plant, the former Regal plant (not much to see), and Fisher Body Plant #21, all of which are right near one another.

For a partially occupied former auto factory, you can visit the Russell Industrial Center: http://www.ricdetroit.org/.

If you like ruins, you should also make sure to stop by Michigan Central Station. It is not a former manufacturing site, but I think it is the most striking ruin in Detroit.

Chrysler_transport
Username: Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see the thread is still going. Yes, Gbad, take a run down Lynch Road between MtElliot and the Detroit City Airport for Chrysler Facility's. The Plymouth Plant is still being used, though divided up between other businesses and the Detroit Axle Plant which has a very interesting history (see Dodge Brothers Truck plant, and Secret Atomic Bomb facility)is still working although it's on its way out. on the other side of Vandyke rd you'll find where i work, Chrysler Transport, we've been hauling auto parts to plants longer than Chrysler has been around. The history's still here in Detroit, but very few know about it.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler_Transport do you have any further info on the Secret Atomic Bomb Facility? My uncle reportedly worked there, his children would love more info about the particulars.

56packman

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler fabricated the Gaseous diffusers used to process the uranium for the first atomic bomb. Only four people within the company knew the exact nature of the device they were mass-producing. The units were made at the Lynch road Plymouth plant. Chrysler's major contribution to the manufacture of these vessels was their ability to nickel plate them--a step necessary to keep the liquid from eating the tank.
The project was termed X-100, the word uranium was not allowed to be spoked or written, the code word i{tubealloy} was its code designation, the numbers 235 and 238 were not allowed too be written or spoken, they were coded X and Y.
The administration of this project took place in rented space at 1525 Woodward, the building was vacant except for a bond drive on the main floor (retail), Chrysler was able to lease the precious space (commercial space was in high demand during the war) and ran the project form there, every employee having high security clearance through the FBI, down to office girls and janitors.

55packardconv
Username: 55packardconv

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, your breadth of knowledge is amazing. Hats off to you and so many of the other posters here who have shared so much fascinating history!

I have a brace of Packard-related questions -- first, does anyone know when the Packard foundry was torn down? I'm curious as to whether the engine blocks for our 1955 and 1956 Packard V-8 engines were cast there. I wondered if the pending construction of the I-94 expressway around 1956 had anything to do with the razing of the foundry.

In some Packard books and articles, I have seen reference to a "Mt. Elliott Plant" that was used for defense work. Does anyone know where this facility was, and what exactly Packard produced there for the military?

Finally, does anyone know the former location for the Packard factory sales branch that had been on Jefferson downtown? I'm assuming it was either knocked down to build the RenCen area or it became part of the right-of-way when 375 was built.

56packman

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

55Packardconv-The foundry was where I-94 now runs, and the decision to route the freeway was made much easier by the demise of Packard, they could take down the unneeded foundry for the E-way.
I don't have much on a Mt. Elliot plant for defense, but suffice it to say that any and all available industrial space was snapped up and put to use during the war; I'm thinking it was a smaller manufacturing facility they leased "for the duration", just my speculation though.
The Factory showroom was at 574 E. Jefferson, my '56 400 was delivered from there. It was torn down in the early 70s as land was being cleared for the Ren Cen, it was roughly on the NE corner of the ren cen plot today.

Here is a shot of the Jefferson Ave. showroom, during "Ladies week" in 1936.

It's Ladies week, bitches!

The MSU "making modern Michigan website has a ton of 1955 pictures taken inside the Jeff. Ave. main factory branch.

You should also join us over at www.packardinfo.com a great new site that is growing every week. I may resemble a "Mr.Pushbutton" over there.

56packman

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre-war Packard, car production

PP 1

Packard during war production

PP2

note the location of the foundry and forge buildings

56packman

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good history of the construction of I-94

Alienjerky
Username: Alienjerky

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 60's I worked for an Office supply as a furniture delivery man. One day we had to make a delivery to a place that I believe had the word "Pollard" in the title. It was west of Livernois on the north side of the railroad tracks below 6 mile rd. From the front gate we were directed to go through the yard to another building to drop off a file cabnet. In this yard was an old tall glass windowed industrial shop about 80' wide and about 300' long with a loop road around it. As we drove down the road I saw dozens of very old cars lined up along the fence on my right. Every make & model you can think of. Looking to my left, through the windows of the building, I saw MORE old cars stacked 2 deep. The ones on the ground had cars suspended over them on chains. They were un-restored & looked like somebody had been collecting them for a lifetime. The group along the fence included cars, trucks, fire engines, ambulances, etc...Most looked like they're from the 20's & 30's. Near the end of the building were old steam locomotives & pullman cars. Old motorcycles were stored between many of the cars. We drove as slow as we could to try & take it all in. We dropped off the file at a little office near the locomotives & headed back between the long building and the tracks. Parked all along the rail spur were more old locomotives and steam powered machinery. When we reached the gate area we saw the doors open wide on the smaller shop we'd passed earlier. Inside were men working on what looked like a white stutz bearcat. It looked almost totally restored. All over the west wall, were a large group of VERY old motorcycles, several with side cars and what looked like gas headlights. It was a collection of old vehicles that rivaled anything I'd seen at Henry Ford Museum. I don't know if it still exists. Has anybody else ever heard of this? It was an orange building and I think it was named "Pollard something".

56packman

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Barney Pollard's place, the HQ of Pollard construction (or contracting). I met Barney in 1979, he was quite up in years, at the Lyndon rd. place. It was surreal, cars were stacked vertically, with other cars then placed on top of them. There were better cars inside buildings, the stacked cars were in sheds.
He was a personal friend of Henry Ford, and Barney started collecting cars in the 1930s, taking home many brass era cars just for hauling them off of the street. During WWII the feds wanted his cars for the scrap metal, Henry Ford called them off by finding scrap at Ford equal to what they would have gotten out of Pollards.
After Barney died his sons sold most of the cars off.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56PACKMAN, You know your stuff. When i hear Packard i think of you and Django. Would have loved to see Pollards place.

55packardconv
Username: 55packardconv

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman -- I plugged the address of the sales branch into Google Earth and it looks like it used to be at the corner of Beaubien. It's now a part of the parking and access road in front of the two smaller towers in the RenCen complex.

Alienjerky

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 packman- thanks for the history on Barney Pollard's place. I still wish I'd had a camera. It was amazing.

Chrysler_transport
Username: Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth; the Secret Atomic Bomb plan included moving our (Transport's) operations to another building so they could train welders in our garage which was located alongside the Detroit Axle factory. That's really all i know besides what has been reported earl'er in this blog.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya, Barney Pollards place was pretty cool. He didn't just let anyone in there. I went a few times with the Ford and Mercury Restorers club. The cars were actually on their bumpers stacked on end. He saved a lot of valuable collectable cars from the scrap drives of WW II. He even had a Thomas Flyer in there. pretty big old car.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, Do you know the history of the Maxwell/Chalmers /Chrysler buildings on Oakland ,that eventually became world headquarters to Chrysler before they moved out to Auburn Hills.
I grew up near the buildings ,but don't really know all the history of them

Alienjerky

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talking to the family, I found out that my father-in-law actually visited Barney Pollard's place in 1973. He was restoring his dad's 1914 Indian motorcycle and somehow contacted Barney. He invited him down to the compound to see his bikes and even sold him some parts he needed. That would have been 3 years after I delivered there. My father-in-law has been dead over 10 years, so I can't ask him about his visit. I wish I'd known. I wonder if Barney showed him the cars too.

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to some cool photos and a video of the Cadillac Clark Street plant circa 1976 producing Eldorado convertibles. Enjoy

http://www.bicentennialeldorad o.com/generalmotors_new.html

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - CAY was there that day! [photo]

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through Cincinnati last weekend and I noticed a lot of old great pre-Kahn factories along with a huge apparently hardy anymore used GE complex. It caused me to wonder what other pre-WWII car factories looked like. We've already discussed Studebaker and the Michigan/Windsor plants. Does anyone have any photos of old factories in other parts of the country?