Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Time Magazine: Detroit's Beautiful Horrible Decline « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This came out Monday
http://www.time.com/time/photo gallery/0,29307,1882089_185097 3,00.html

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful photographs. Certainly goes to show that the vast majority of people wont be bothered with the nonsense! Those that couldn't get out or were too stubborn and stayed here, have indeed paid a heavy price.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yves and Romain are two amazing and talented French [Parisian] photographers who have been coming to the D since ages 23 and 18 respectively. The have been here several times now creating some the best images of the ruins of Detroit using their large format camera. Two artists one camera. They are incredibly patient, inquisitive and fearless. I am so happy to see their work profiled in a major media outlet.

Yves and Romain at Fisher 21

Charcoalgreysoul
Username: Charcoalgreysoul

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing photos. I wish I was around to see the United Artist Theater when it was open. The interior looks like it could have been stunning,

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! My old school made into to Time!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Jim, I don't understand your comment:

"Certainly goes to show that the vast majority of people wont be bothered with the nonsense! Those that couldn't get out or were too stubborn and stayed here, have indeed paid a heavy price."

what is the "nonsense" you're talking about?

and i live in detroit by choice. i could "get out" if i wanted to and don't consider myself stubborn. what price have i paid?? i'm confused.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on Fark (sparked quite a discussion on their message boards about the D).

One of the pictures said the Broderick was going to by renovated into apartments by 2010. I thought this project stalled?

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorgeous photos. The photograhers' website is great, too. In addition to Detroit, they have shots of the "Forgotten theaters of America" and "East Germany industrial vestiges."

http://reliques.online.fr/inde x.html

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not sure what's going on with Broderick or Whitney for that matter, and Book is a new concern... I've been living down here for a while and I wish I could understand where those projects stood

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to criticize the fine photography of these gentleman but, man, I'm am growing weary with all the urban necrography. It's so much more interesting to photograph the living instead of the dead. Every flickr camera club has more than adequately documented the MCS. Enough already.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3851
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every flickr camera club has more than adequately documented the MCS.

Add the Packard Plant to this statement.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Every flickr camera club has more than adequately documented the MCS.

Add the Packard Plant to this statement

in addition to every freshman photography exhibition at CCS

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. The ruins have been done, both extensively here, as well as elsewhere. I think that it's time that someone did a focus on the things that are still the best features of Detroit.

The fine NON ruins. And there still are many. Architecture, decoration, civic areas in the downtown area. Neighborhoods churches, schools. Show things that work or are working for a change.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perish the thought. This art thrives on death.

Stosh

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a fan of viewing the body, as it were. If that's what floats their boat, fine. A study on the Fisher Building, Penobscot, Guardian, exploring the art and architecture of the historic churches, (and not just Catholic ones.

Gem theatre. Fox. The old clubs, DAC, Players, etc. Historic neighborhood home tours, etc.

I don't think it would be that hard to to if one wanted to publicize.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture #1: A beautiful train station falling into ruin despite the fact that it is owned by a wealthy billionaire.

Picture #3: A vacant school building.

Picture #5: A beautiful theater falling into ruin despite the fact that it is owned by a wealthy billionaire.

Picture #9: A vacant school building.
--------------

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now is time to make DDOT and SMART a part of the ruins by voting NO next August 2010 to defeat the SMART property tax renewal.

Our public bus systems are old, outdated and grossly incompetent that no longer serve any purpose.

They are relics of the rise of unions when there was enough money to waste and throw away.

It’s time to shut down all the buses and facilities and let private free enterprise take over. It is easy to do. It is far cheaper to pay DDOT and SMART employees by buying them out or letting them go by means of attrition which can be done by only running the full buses.

Imagine the new pictures that will come out?

Imagine getting really good public transportation? YES, Detroit put the World on wheels and we can fund passenger bus and train service again with money from the users and user fees instead of taxing fast food.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thread derailed by Trainman.

Stosh

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's getting his licks in before the ignore feature.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: