Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Ham » Archive through March 11, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see this topic, but if it already exists, I apologize. Am bringing some folks up from Ohio and they want ham. What's the best Detroit ham place?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Best. Thread. Title. Ever. :-)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham doesnt seem to be one of "DETROIT" foods. What about a layfette coney? Thats a DETROIT food! Or Buschemi's pizza or..... Dont know of any ham places though.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never even been there, but I've heard Mike's Famous Ham Place on Michigan Ave. is where it's at.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the in-laws have never had a Honeybaked Ham, it might be worth the $40+ bucks, make sure you order ahead of time. I believe they started in Detroit in the late '50s and have spread across the nation.

Some people prefer a Dearborn Ham, others might like something else, but a Honeybaked Ham certainly makes an impression. Not cheap, but outstanding.

http://www.honeybaked.com/ They have store locator and a coupon page for you.

Wintersmommy
Username: Wintersmommy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louies in Eastern Market

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Onion Roll Deli on Woodward between 11 Mile and 12 Mile has a pretty good Ham sandwich (and an even better cornedbeef sandwich).

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey Baked Hams used to be worth the extra money and possible inconvenience of getting to their nearest location, but that has changed in recent years. Nowadays, you can buy a decent tasting glazed, spiral sliced ham in almost any supermarket in town. In fact, I like Kroger's spiral sliced hams better than the more expensive Honey Baked, and I don't have to drive out of my way to get one; Kroger's is 2 blocks away, the nearest Honey Baked store is a good 8-10 miles from me.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit City Council

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Circa 1890 - At cass and Ferry right next to Wayne State EASILY has the absolute BEST Hot Ham and Swiss sandwhich I have ever tasted... the best. Gotta try it!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine used to work at one of the places where they did the "honey baked" hams. Said it was like an assembly line and they used blow torches to give the outsides of the ham that particular look. He said he didn't think the hams were worth the extra price, considering what little work actually went into them. Said it was no big deal.

I agree with Gary - your supermarket will have just what your visitors are looking for - and much less expensive. I've never been disappointed with any ham I've ever gotten from Kroger. And believe me, I've done enough family holiday dinners and parties where I've served a Kroger ham. I've always gotten compliments.

Just my two cents worth :-)

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Ham On Gratiot

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the past few years, we've purchased a hog at the Oakland County Fair 4-H Livestock Auction. These hogs are natural raised and have no hormones or antibiotics added. No water is added during processing and smoking. The meat tastes great.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Mike's on Michigan Ave. And get a bowl of split pea to go with Your sandwich.

(Message edited by living in the d on March 11, 2009)

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costco's Kirkland brand spiral cut ham is also very good, and reasonable in price...I have used it for quite a few holidays. I agree with Gary also, many good hams out there at better prices than Honey Baked. Honey baked did the spirla glazed thing first, but it isent the only good one now.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I went into Mike's Famous Ham Place (on Michigan, just off of W Grand Blvd.)and I highly recommend it. I had a ham sandwich on an onion roll (stacked high and took half home, used the rest in some scrambled eggs the next day)and a bowl of the split pea soup. Yum-o!

Detroitbred

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costco's spiral cut hame is very good also, and reasonably priced. I have used it for quite a few holidays. I agree with Gary also...many good hams to choose from. Honey Baked was the first to do the spiral cut galzed thing, but they are not the only game in town now. I have also purchased Kroger's and also Spartan's brand...both were good.

Gnome

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe ProfessorJackson could weigh back in and let us know on his culinary skills. A skilled cook has no problem whipping up an award-winning 7 course meal, but maybe the Prof is pulling a D- in the kichen.

A trip to Honeybaked can make anyone look like a pro and can free one up to spend time with family instead of creating a bio-hazzard in the kitchen.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Ham - torch glazed, spiral sliced - go pick it up fresh at the plant - 2450 Wyoming, Dearborn, MI

http://www.dearbornsausage.com /catalog/index.php?osCsid=9f30 7f94860905c35b246f4d4729c64a

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should have been more specific -- looking for a ham restaurant. and thanks so far for all the comments!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham tramck

Detroitbred

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that case, I agree wholeheartedly with Mike's ....belly up to the counter and have a great ham sandwich ( or ham and eggs ). Soup is also wonderful, homemade and delicious. Very difficult to clean your plate, but you will want to keep eating.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always about the ham. Isn't that right, Pam?

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mike's is charming and delicious! be sure to arrive early; they close at 2 or 3 p.m., i believe?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking of a restaurant in the vicinity of E. Seven Mile Rd. near Hayes that was known for its ham cuisine. Can somebody come up with the name of this place? and whether it is still operating?

Gnome

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ProfessorJackson:

I get the feeling you're in the car right now with a couple of ham deprived oldsters needing an immediate pork-fix.

Since your cryptic posts leave such gaps like when, who, how many and how much.. maybe you should just pull over at the next CrackerBarrel and pack a vein.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I grew up in the Detroit area, I didn't have my first Honeybaked Ham until 10 years ago. My employer gave them out for Christmas vacation, and I scored a few doobs off my fellow employees. That was the most fantastic time eating, that I can remember - ever !

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best ham? Winter Sausage Company in East Pointe.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is no coincidence, he posts this the day after I watch something on the news about using injections of Pork Fat to prevent wrinkles.

I was thinking about Ham Sandwiches all day too.