Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old mansion pictures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Guys. I used to drive down streets like Brush and just cry at all the houses in decay (to the death)and when I* was up there last year, I noticed a lot of vacant lots where some of the old victorian's stood.

I would love to see old pictures of some of them and any history that anyone would have. (where they were, when they were build, whoe built tme, when they fell down) etc.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit? :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Building s-Detroit-W-Hawkins-Ferry/dp/0 814316654

Exmotowner

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes nerd I did see them I was just hoping people might have pics with some info as to who lived there. I just like history and architecture and detroit has a wealth of both.

Pam

Post Number: 5106
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroit1701.org/res idences.htm

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo collection Pam.

Pam

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice photo collection Pam.

Not mine. Site is by a guy named Ren who posts here sometimes.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo collection Ren.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow what a collection thanks....Ren

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ren has a wonderful site and I've encouraged people to learn a lot about Detroit's history through his work. He is a college professor.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this one was pretty interesting. An early 19th century log cabin in the middle of a perfectly ordinary residential block off 14th and Davison. First I'd heard of its existence. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked this one http://63alfred.com/

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk, I just finished reading the story of this beautiful house....very good read, fascinating and touching at times. I enjoyed this bit of history very much.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics and history guys. Thats what I was talking about Sooooo many beautiful homes there. I'd kill for one of them. (JK of course)

Michiman
Username: Michiman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting site Ren....thanks for creating it.

Pam

Post Number: 5111
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one got overlooked on Detroit 1701:

http://www.theinnat97winder.co m/history1.php

ExMo- you can stay there and not have to kill anyone. Another inn on the same street:

http://www.234winderstinn.com/

Exmotowner

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to make another trip up by myself. Everyone I bring up there with me is scared to death. I keep telling them I lived there most of my life and Im still alive (by the grace of god, but I dont tell them that part) LOL

Detroit is the only city where I am at home. Sure aint Nashville!

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam-
I'll tell Ren about this Inn at 97 Winder. He's on sabbatical right now.
It certainly would be a great addition. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Cuylerst
Username: Cuylerst

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would someone be able to tell me if the home at 34 Alfred St (pre-number change) is still standing? I have tried to figure out the number change that occurred in the 1920's, but don't trust my result. Thanks for any help

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wowee wow wow. I'm only on the Freer home and I've been reading for a half hour. This is a wonderful collection. Thanks!

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Momentary threadjack.......Kathinozarks, may I ask where in the Ozarks you're located. I'm also in the Ozarks, just outside of Branson, MO. Interesting to find another Ozarkian on a Detroit forum.

Threadjack over.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ancestor,

I am in the Arkansas Ozarks. Been here 10 years. I miss all the great things about Detroit and Michigan. Family and friends still there. Last visit was in 2005. Too long gone.

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, family and friends still there for me too. Got home in 2005 and 2006 but it was for funerals and didn't get a chance to drive around. Going home in May for a week. Already have a list of restaurants to get to.

Back on topic.......it's heartbreaking to see how much more Detroit has decayed since I've been away. I think when you're there the shock value wears off since it all happens a little at a time. But to be away for years and see the change, it makes me sick.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing so many of these beautiful buildings still surviving makes me want to visit even more. Next time I'm in town I will actually NOTICE the lovely architecture of the City and surrounding areas. I've passed many of these homes a million times and never saw them. I can't wait to look around. And yeah, my restaurant list is growing!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to drive down streets like Brush, Alfred etc and just cry because I could not have one of these to restore and be able to live there safely. What a great city detroit must have been back in the day.

Anyone with more picture would awesome. I love everyone of these old mansions.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures I took last October:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r etroit/

Retroit

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an excellent history book about Detroit that has sketches of Brush Park homes:

http://books.google.com/books? id=VywT-JZRnogC&pg=PP10&dq=sil as+farmer+the+hisory+of+detroi t+and+michigan+vol.+1#PPA499,M 1

[If it doesn't open on the appropriate page, the homes of Brush Park begin on page 446 (google page 499)]

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit great pictures - I wish you put address and notes on them.

What is or maybe better what was #9? Think someone could wander inside of it?

Retroit

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#9 are two homes side-by-side, with minimal restoration. I think someone could (and does!) wander inside many of these homes. Although a few are occupied.

I really should do a better job of identifying these! Pretty lame, I know. I also should have taken some "area shots". You would not believe how many empty lots there are in this "neighborhood", i.e. so many homes are gone. I just can't get my mind around the fact that these homes were allowed to rot.

Retroit

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#6 is 63 Alfred. I'll try to add addresses to the others.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 63 alfred actually had its own blog
http://63alfred.com/

It seems to be totally destroyed now according to the blog- the current pictures are sad. Last bunch of years "crack dealers and homeless" only occupants. So yes you are right someone can go inside

Ocean2026

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On second look that can't be the same house-check the site -they even have a video.

Retroit

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My picture is more recent than the one on that website. A few years ago, the existing homes were minimally fixed-up, and a bunch of signs were put up stating that these homes were going to be renovated. Those days are gone.

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much for the nice comments
about the www.Detroit1701.org website. If there
are additional mansions or sites I should add,
please let me know.

I have the Inn at 97 Winder included. Here
is the webpage:
http://www.detroit1701.org/Joh nHarveyHouse.html

Ocean2026

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renf the castle at 530 Parkway was divided into 2 separate properties and it now lacks access to the canal. It is also missing part of the roof.

The Burgess Book home has been boarded up as vandals have come into the buildings and taken copper etc.

You have a great site - those are the only updates that I would be aware of.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.