Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Jack Lessenberry Skewers the Usual Suspects « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/news /story.asp?id=13772

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious. John Conyers' staff's code name for Monica was "Ghetto."

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo, Lessenberry. That was hilarious. Bonus points for the Pingree comment.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor Lessenberry has told the truth, again.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack is " spot on"!!! All true...an acurate description of Monica ( Cruella Deville ). When will the drama and embarassment ever end? No white person could ever get away with such blatant, outright racist remarks and attitudes.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lessenberry dished out the truth. I noticed he mentioned the flawed at-large setup that was addressed in a another post. Monica Conyers will get re-elected because she is making loud noises and her name is still CONYERS. That is all she needs.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers is a classic narcissist who needs attention and she knows how to get it. That explains her natural contrariness to whatever is going on. It brings attention to her. She is only one vote on the Cobo issue. Explaining Monica doesn't explain the votes of the other Council members who voted against it. Because of her bizarre antics, Monica has become the whipping girl for those who support the Cobo deal. There should be more interviews and questions of the other anti-Cobo deal Council members to see why they are voting the way they do instead of cobbling together innuendo and half-truths to explain them.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is DETROIT COUNCIL PRESIDENT Conyers to you people!

You know, is it me or are most of the politicians in Detroit more interested in the title of their names, the position they are in and attention they receive rather than actually doing the work to fix the city? You know, the hard stuff!
all they do is act stupid to show the uneducated electorate that "the man" or "whitey" or whoever is the bogeyman of the day that they won't be pushed around and the people buy it every time.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers has not earned the respect you demand we pay. This entitlement crap is over. If I could be there in person to tell her myself, Power-hungry sociopaths need not apply. Out, damned spot!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3644
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spot? Spots are dark! That's RACISM! :-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can say, John, is I hope the sex was absolutely magnificent, given everything that's happened since.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sin in haste, repent forever.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused:

finley writes almost the exact same column and everyone calls him an idiot and lessenberry is praised

hmmm what could the difference be?

I know this is a very very liberal place but sometimes the hypocrisy is so glaring, one has to point it out.

that is all, carry on

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^
Wow, I just scanned through the Nolan Finley thread, and other than a couple (2-4 at the most) people who griped about Finley, the rest were not attacks against him but rather against the Council and beloved Madame President Conyers.

Where exactly is the hypocrisy of which you speak? Do you really expect 100% of the posters on ANY thread to be in agreement?
As far as I can tell (again, I only quickly scanned the Finley thread), none of the posters on THIS thread made any negative remarks against Finley, so again where is the hypocrisy?

Croweblack, you are only on post #90. Relax. You'll have plenty of time to call Liberals names.

Does that clear up your confusion?

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only issue I had with Finley's article was that he brought in the "what if this was in the suburbs." I had issue with that because two wrongs don't make a right.

Funny that the poster was confused about the negative comments about Finley. I was on Michelle Malkin website one day and I notice how she was attempted to ding Eric Holder by highlighting the article written by Finley. She went so far as praising Finley. Well scrolling down the comments I noticed some comments that were placed by Debbie Schlussel in which she was addressing them directly to Michelle saying she made a mistake to praise Finley. She called him a racist saying he was anti-Israel and she had like put in 4 separate postings to rip him. Got to love when conservatives rip each other.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think implosion because of city finances is not a bad thing. Painful I guess, and more people would lose jobs, but how to you get the governmental structure out of this spiral? I know the answer is that people show up and vote and vote intelligently. But I do not think that will happen.

I like Jack's columns. Even when I don't agree as he writes well. Finley is ok, too.

Croweblack

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly is the hypocrisy of which you speak? Do you really expect 100% of the posters on ANY thread to be in agreement?

BITCH SLAP!
so easy and that's just the first couple of posts

1. Finley asked us to juxtapose the particular council meetings over a hypothetical one in Livonia. Did he forget that there was a very similarly racially contentious council meeting in Livonia not even a few years ago?

2. I agree with Lmichigan that Nolan Finley is a conservative hack

3. Great post by Lmichigan. My sentiments exactly...

4. The Free Press was dead right in their assessment and did it in a way that was clear, concise and on point, and without all of the nasty personal malice that comes from foolish curmudgeons like Finley.

5. Bravo Lmichigan ! can't add much more to that.

6. That he's a conservative hack is only one strike against him, and not a big one, really. That he's generally an unconstructive dick of a writer is a far greater strike against his credibility on criticizing the city council.

7.If you don't like the news or Nolan for his editorial position it seems strange to call him a hack. I thought a hack was someone who was unskilled at his trade or profession. A hack writer would be someone who churns out poorly constructed sentences, just as a poorly trained woodsman would hack together unrefined logs into furniture. I might not like Nolan, but I see no evidence that he is a hack.

8.As for Finley, yes he is a complete partisan hack, who in getting caught up up in the glee of the "Axis of evil" Bush days, once wrote by far the dumbest thing ever written in the Detroit News on foreign policy ever:

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Croweblack, not you're just shit stirring. That was another thread, and most of the replies you quoted were my own, and I'd yet to even reply to this thread until, now. Ferntruth specifically asked you where the hypocrisy was on this thread. But, even if you're to bring in the other thread on Finley, who posted in both of these threads that you could accuse of being a hypocrite? Who said one thing in the Finley thread, and then another, here? If you're going to try and do something like indict the entire forum, good luck. lol

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Thank you - at least someone actually READ what I wrote.

Croweblack

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he asked two questions

I was cutting and pasting in response to the first question not the second.

And when I see "Conservative hack" more than once and "I agree Lmichigan that he is the devil"(paraphrasing here) before any actual comments on what he said compared to this thread where not once did anyone mention lessenberry's UBER LEFTIST beliefs--that's all I was referring to.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall that during the racially contentious Livonia City Council meeting to which Croweblack refers, it was the public making biased statements, not the members of the City Council. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

It does not surprise me to see bias and racism among the general public, and it doesn't even surprise me when members of the public make such statements during hearings which are being recorded and therefore might be broadcast. It does surprise me to see elected officials reveal their biases, publicly, with such statements.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody read the "Metro-Times" anyway?

I always lumped that newspaper with that one Mike Williams put out, oh what was it, oh yes, "The VIP something or another." Anyway all it did was make a cheap alternative for cage liners in my aviary.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P: I enjoy Lessenberry's columns, and check the Metro Times for local entertainment (although most entertainment events are now out of my budget until a decent job is found).
It will not likely win a Pulitzer, but has some local news worth reading, too. I would miss it if it were to disappear.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.