Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Another DPS official stealing from kids « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just makes you sick:

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090310/NEWS01/90310100/DPS+su spends+official+accused+of+alt ering+records

Unanswered: Does this employee face any penalty besides losing his job?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, this behavior is institutional, and goes all the way to top leadership. they have never really taken responsibility or ownership for their failure. they can give lip service, but they know they're part of the problem. it seems the payroll official could be liable for embezzlement or fraud, who knows - but i'd be happy to see the whole negligent and corrupt culture of dps leadership erased.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is: Would the cost of taking someone to court for embezzlement be something DPS could afford to pay for, and if so, would it be worth the cost to set an example that you can't steal from the poor in this town anymore? (Not that I'm saying you can't, but that's the message I'm sure Bobb wants to send.)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would DPS be responsible for the cost of prosecuting this person?

It's good to see that someone in the system blew the whistle on this. DPS may be institutionally rotten but there must be some individuals who are not.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Bobb did a good thing when he wrote a letter to DPS employees within a couple of days of being on the job. In that letter he encouraged employees to report suspect financial activity. He assured the employees that there claims would be checked out and not ignored. I'm sure his e-mail is blowing up as a result.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's good to see that someone in the system blew the whistle on this. DPS may be institutionally rotten but there must be some individuals who are not."

The pessimistic Detroiter in me wants to wonder whether the whistle-blowers were truly good or were merely seeing an opportunity to move up in the ranks.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The pessimistic Detroiter in me wants to wonder whether the whistle-blowers were truly good or were merely seeing an opportunity to move up in the ranks. " quote

There are smart,honest people within DPS administration as well who are as frustated as the teachers in DPS inablity to provide the necessary services to the teachers and administrators in the schools, file reports to the state on a timely basis, get vendors paid,hire the most qualified person, and on and on. The bureaucracy and corporate culture of DPS makes it almost impossible for any good ideas to see the light of day.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not mean to imply that everyone who works for DPS is a crook. Far from. Lord knows being an educator is missionary work, especially in Detroit.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9083
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad or unwarranted doubt in my opinion, given the company they've kept...but I've also ONLY met Detroit teachers and administrators who are fed up with the system and have quit after many years of trying to be part of the solution that never has been allowed to happen.

If only we could get BACK all those we've lost to this corruption...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The pessimistic Detroiter in me wants to wonder whether the whistle-blowers were truly good or were merely seeing an opportunity to move up in the ranks."

I had the same thought myself. It's possible that this is a payback. Or maybe a combination of many reasons. No matter, if it stopped a crook, I'm not going to take that away from the person who called them out.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope none of the kids have gold fillings. They might be at risk with these gold diggers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.