Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Jay Leno Announces Free Show at The Palace « Previous Next »
Archive through March 10, 2009Benfield30 03-10-09  1:53 pm
Archive through March 10, 2009Eastsidedame30 03-10-09  11:47 pm
Archive through March 12, 2009Imhere30 03-12-09  9:02 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if already said but,

How many free concerts including free parking has Martha given. Put up or shut up Martha. The Palace has enough space to accomdate all the cars in their lots. FREE. If the show was in D-town you would still be at the mercy of the parking lot scalpers charging 20 buck per car. Remember, Illitch owns most of the parking around Ford/Comerica. I don't think he would allow free parking for someone attending a show at Ford Field which is owned by Ford.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How embarrassing.

I am all for events in the city, but..

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090312/M ETRO/903120464

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an hour and a half to Auburn Hills from Detroit?

where does she live, Monroe?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back on WJR this AM

http://wjr.com/Article.asp?id= 1212797&spid=6552

Apparently after making such a stink she never got around to making the call. She's been busy at the Council table, and making calls to her creditors.

She still doesn't get that Jay was talking about Detroit as a region.

She is still on her kick that Auburn Hills in NOT Detroit. Frank tried to tell her that she can't cherry pick. If you want to insist on making that distinction, you should call Metro - Romulus Airport, the zoo - Royal Oak Zoo, and change the name of the Detroit Pistons.

Martha told Frank "you ain't got to put all those other things in there, you ain't got to go there!"

She just luvs herself some Jay Leno

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's pushing things past the, uh, the box that I'm, I'm in a box right now, I'm talking about a box, and if I'm sitting there, this is a heartfelt thing, this has nothing to do with the airport, or the zoo, or anything. Or Cobo Hall. It's about my heart.

Yeah, uh, thanks for clearing that up, Martha.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mission Accomplished....I wonder if they are going to hang Bush's banner in City Council chamber.

The funny part about the story with calling Leno was that she asked him to do a show on April 6th. Perhaps someone should have reminded her that the Final Four championship is on that day. Would have been interesting to see how that would have worked out if he had said yes to JLA.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battle of the Jay Walk Allstars scheduled for Auburn Hills show?

Contestants have to be: Monica Conyers, Martha Reeves, Tiara Rose Collins.

What is the name of that 12 year old who counseled Monica? Let's have her write the questions.

Extra points for best hair?

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battle of the Jay Walk Allstars scheduled for Auburn Hills show?

Contestants have to be: Monica Conyers, Martha Reeves, Tiara Rose Collins.

What is the name of that 12 year old who counseled Monica? Let's have her write the questions.

Extra points for best hair?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Mission Accomplished....I wonder if they are going to hang Bush's banner in City Council chamber.<<

Hilarious.

She's probably making up this story. Bet she never got through to Leno.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Martha on Let it Rip says that Lily Tomlin isn't a Detroiter!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dp p/news/let_it_rip/090312_lir_p 3

It's around 2 minutes in.

I guess she didn't do her "due diligence". I guess growing up in the Brewster Projects, Graduating from Cass Tech, and going to Wayne State doesn't count.

Why does she want to take away one of our Jewels?

She included Tom Selleck on that list as well.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on March 13, 2009)

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My god, I'm sick. I just listened to the interview on WJR and can't believe how dumb Martha Reeves is. I love when she states she is too busy because she comes into work at 10 o'clock. I wish I could go to work at 10!

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god bless Huel Perkins and Fox 2 for trying... even though I've only lived in the city for a few years, I've worked in AND PAID TAXES TO the city for QUITE SOME TIME... we are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We make cars in Saginaw, FLint, Lansing, Detroit and everywhere in between. THis isnt just a Detroit problem. Duh

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Martha told Frank "you ain't got to put all those other things in there, you ain't got to go there!""

ut uhhhh.. no you dedent.. you dedent just go there..

Stupid Bit**!

lol... seriously. LOL.

Michiman
Username: Michiman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bet Jay is even sorry he even offered now.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Martha Sings for a living. Then what is she doing on the Clowncil?? The clowncil singing is being handled by BRC.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd show added:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090316/M ETRO/903160388

So who is going to break the news to Martha??

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a huge FU to her.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Just in...

Martha Reeves irked by second Leno show in suburbs

Darren A. Nichols and Catherine Jun
The Detroit News

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090316/METRO 01/903160407

Martha Reeves, who last week thought she sweet-talked Jay Leno into a scheduling a show in Detroit, isn't happy he's arranged a second one in the suburbs.

Reeves said she still doesn't know why he couldn't play Ford Field or Joe Louis Arena.

"Detroit is one of my favorite places, too," Reeves said. "If you're going to be here, I want to see you. And (Leno) is not going to be here. He's going to be in Auburn Hills. If there is a second show in Auburn Hills, it's still not Detroit. I just want it to be Detroit, if it's Detroit."

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha Reeves is like the homo erectus that slipped through natural selection's net.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks so good on Reeves and her stooges.. you see nobody else anywhere else in the country would cow tow to their silly divisive ways. City Councils in major cities do not try to pit race agains race and suburbs against the city. I find it amazing that if someone white used the same racist rhetoric when making major decisions against these council members theyd have them in court in a second . you see other cities all learn to work together and rejoice about the results.. This just looks so good on them.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Reeves still don't get it. The purpose of these shows is to give people on hard times a night out that won't hurt the pocketbook. If there was a show in Detroit, the parking lots controlled by the city as well as privately-owned lots are going to charge to park. Maybe if Reeves would have guaranteed free parking throughout downtown then maybe....she is pissed. Leno won't be getting any autographs from her.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha Reeves is an advocate for the City of Detroit and a representative of its citizens.
Almost every metro area is set up such that municipalities compete against each other, and this is especially the case in Detroit.

Now here we have a situation where two distant munipalities can each offer suitable venues. This war of words is extremely predictable, and I don't understand the outrage against Reeves for being the one who expresses what many are thinking.

There are plenty of objective reasons for preferring a Detroit venue. It's more centrally located. It would reduce transportation costs for the unemployed people this is geared toward.

The producer of the event says he doesn't understand the territorial attitude on display. But he should get out a map and see just how far the location he booked is from the city they claim to be visiting. Compare it to other metros. If this were Chicago-- one of your more sprawled areas-- the 32 miles from the center of Detroit to the Palace is equivalent to a location well past Wheaton and Naperville, past Lake Forest, or past Gary, IN. If this were Cleveland, it would be Akron. If this were Manhattan, that distance would get you to New Brunswick NJ or Stamford CT. The most distant major NY venue is Nassau Arena (where the Islanders play) at 23 miles from Manhattan. A common venue is the Meadowlands, at 5 miles from midtown, 7-8 miles from the Bronx, and 8-11 miles from Queens. Both the Meadowlands and the new arena in Newark have transit connectivity.

So perhaps the Leno producer is assuming that this is a functional metro area where getting from point A to point B is cheap and easy, or perhaps they're assuming its like NY or Chicago where all the venues are relatively centrally located, but the Palace is truly in an exurban location which is a burden to reach (and which requires a CAR, which many unemployed-- and even some employed people!--don't have).

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the NY Jets and NY Giants play in New Jersey, but do you hear anyone bitching about them not playing in Manhattan?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 837
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are assuming that all the people that will be attending the will be coming from Detroit when I am sure people from Flint, Saginaw, Port Huron, and elsewhere will want to attend the show.

Ford Field would be a horrible place for a comedy show, the acoustics blow.

If Reeves really wanted to bring this show (or any other for that matter) to Detroit, she would should be making the arrangments for reserving the space, settng up free parking, booking the act and setting up everything else that needs to happen. B1tching and making a single phone doesn't amount to much work.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough already, the show is planned and tickets have been given away. Someone ( a celebrity, out of the kindnest of his heart) trying to do something nice for THIS REGION, FREE OF CHARGE, shouldn't cause such an uproar. Clownsil should keep their mouths shut unless they have something constructive to say. I'm sure Jay Leno is having a hard time understanding all this bs.
Remember Jay, no good deed goes unpunished.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

B1tching and making a single phone doesn't amount to much work.

Martha Reeves doesn't do work. She makes whiny, pathetically transparent excuses to everyone from Frank Beckmann to Monica Conyers ("I can't call him! I don't even have his phone number!"), but she doesn't do work. Christ, that'd be hard.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Jcole, but you missed my point. That venue is centrally located and easy to get to. Not to mention the fact that there is seamless regional cooperation there. It is nothing like the situation with the Palace in relation to Detroit.

Brg made a good point about parking costs, though. That is a real issue. All the city lots should be free for event parking if the city made this happen. I also agree that JLA and Cobo would be better than Ford Field for obvious reasons.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 833
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah Jcole, but you missed my point. That venue is centrally located and easy to get to. Not to mention the fact that there is seamless regional cooperation there. It is nothing like the situation with the Palace in relation to Detroit.

Brg made a good point about parking costs, though. That is a real issue. All the city lots should be free for event parking if the city made this happen. I also agree that JLA and Cobo would be better than Ford Field for obvious reasons.

The manager of this event already said that Ford Field is not an option due to the NCAA Final Four preparations.

And I have to ask, has Martha Reeves spoken to the people who run JLA and Cobo to see if they are willing to offer free admission AND free parking? Shouldn't she secure those promises BEFORE running her gums about being snubbed?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't Martha or her apologists get it through their heads that this isn't a Detroit event?

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Amen. There are just as many unemployed autoworkers from the Flint and Saginaw area as from Detroit.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if the whole Martha thing isn't embarassing enough, now some of the free tickets are for sale on E-Bay! I hope Jay doesn't change his opion of this area baed on these ingrates.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proceeds from the tickets would be even more beneficial to an unemployed person than a night at a comedy show. Leno needs to understand that and not care about tickets being sold - whoever buys them feels they can afford to.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no guarantee that those who got the free tickets are unemployed, since it was on the "honor system". They only needed valid I.D., not proof of unemployment. I'm sure that some of the employed people who stood in line for those tickets are just trying to make a quick buck. I still say shame on them.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outsider looking in. This is a bazaar controversary.

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on March 17, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.