Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Photos from the 2009 Autorama « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some really cool cars and a really nice vibe at Cobo Hall. Anyone else go?

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/d etroitstockphotos/gallery-show /G0000.Ci4C6AzLQ0/

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos. Was the event well attended?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got all my photos uploaded too.

http://www.motorcitymuscle.blo gspot.com

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say so. I was there on Sunday and it was pretty crowded. Also, Cobo roof parking was full.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a bunch of photos until my battery ran out of juice. I'll try to get them up on the web somewhere this week. As always, there were certain few cars that really grabbed my attention and impressed me in one way or another.

I loved it! Seemed very well-attended to me. I went on Sunday. Probably the only guy in the whole place who rode a bicycle to a car show.

O.

(Message edited by otter on March 09, 2009)

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my favorite picture from the whole weekend. My pal Clay Rathburn from Atom Bomb Custom won an award from legendary car builder Dan Webb as well as the Detroit Poor Boys club pick for sickest cycle with his beautiful copper and cream 1970 Triumph. I'm the goofy looking guy in the Tigers hat and I picked up the Poor Boys trophy for Best Traditional Sedan. Great weekend, I can't wait for next year.

Otter

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BcScott,

Where was your car? I walked the whole basement and didn't see it.

Missed the basement last year, glad I went down there this year. Sort of the real-hot-rodders counterpart to the big money upstairs, which I M not denigrating. I liked the Rockabilly too.

I noticed various cars with matte-finish paint but a glossy bass-boat metallic on the roof. Is this a recent trend in rat rods or something? I'm not an up-on-things trendinista.

O.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wife and I went Friday in the early afternoon. Not too busy. Really enjoyed the fact of more motorcycles, especially downstairs. I stopped by to see Bcscott but you had stepped out for a moment. Really liked the 2 Triumphs in front of your car. I was the guy in the BSA Motorcycles t-shirt.

Bcscott

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down in the basement with the Nightmares CC. I did meet zrxDoug but that was the only D-yeser I ran into. My car is in primer right now because it isn't finished, but flat finishes are pretty popular and have been for several years.

The rat rods are the cobbled, rusty pieces of junk that are generally shunned by the hot rodders. Much in the same way the billet wheeled, pastel colored, fiberglass bodied street rodders look down on guys like me :-)

I don't spend too much time upstairs. I respect the incredible level of craftsmanship but enormous billet wheels and 30K paintjobs just don't do it for me. However this year there was a stellar collection of 50's-60's show rods and customs. I saw Geroge Barris, Darrel Starbird, and Norm Grabowski with some of their cars/clones plus Ed Roth's Orbitron. What a great time.

Otter

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there's the picture of your car in the basement, but I must have had my stupid glasses on, coz I missed it. I'm good at that. But dangit, I knew what your car looked like and I searched the whole basement twice. I don't think i recognize the other cars in the photo either. Oh well.

I've long associated flat-black or -primer or whatever paint with rat rods and other home garage type stuff (I like it with nice pinstriping, too) but I'd never seen the bass-boat roofs over matte before.

Are those six singles or deuces that your car is breathing through?

I thought that the combination of front discs and lever-arm friction shocks (transverse-mounted, no less) on one car was kinda funny in an unexpected way.

One of the cars upstairs that I liked the most was the three-tone '59 Cadillac convertible. I thought the color and trim was terrific, and the attention to detail too. I really liked the sensitivity on the "Deucenberg" too.

I have a big thing for classic lead sleds and highboy roadsters like the Doan Spencer car, and I loved the Sam Barris Merc and the Hirohata replica, and one other Merc as well.

O.

Bcscott

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My car is pretty easy to miss, it's 46" tall at the highest point. The carbs are actually Holley 94 two barrels from the late 1930's to early 40's. So it's basically like having three small four barrels carbs. The engine is over 400 H.P. so hopefully it can handle all that fuel.

Yeah, there's certainly some mix and match from different eras when it comes to the parts. I guess if you really like stopping but you dig the look of a lever shock you can put them together and you are correct that was popular on funny cars. To me, the discs just don't look right on a hot rod. I've got over a grand tied up in my front grabbers to make the car stop as well as a 1940 Ford sedan with manual brakes, but it sure looks cool :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.