Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cobo roof leaking on cars at Autorama « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just another feather in our cap. The roof is leaking at Cobo due to the rains. Classic cars are getting wet, not very happy exhibitors. No news link as of yet, but channel 4 had it on their newscast.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just typical news and their negative reporting about Detroit and it's jewels.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6205
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the 5 City Council holdout members with buckets to salvage the reputation of their crown jewel...

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True enough..saw it myself tonite while checking out the show with my nephew..
The tarps that were pointed out in last weeks news are out in full force on the main floor, strung from roof supports to catch the water.
Likewise, one of the escalators from the main floor to the basement was out of service..
Oh, and by the way, you can let MonCon know that well over 90% of the Cobo workers I spotted had "faces like hers."
("Like hers" in pigmentation only, not a one of 'em appeared to be insane or mentally challenged.)

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story is on their website. http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/18880289/detail.html

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to the auto show, I noticed a pretty substantial leak at one end of the basement. I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not, but either way, I'm not surprised. I wonder when Monica was last inside Cobo...

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What more can be said, the place is a dump.

You can only polish a turd for so long...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the Rock Showplace in Novi be big enough to handle Autorama?I would be P.O.'d if my car was getting rained on inside Cobo.

(Message edited by reddog289 on March 08, 2009)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an interesting question, Reddog. Does anyone know what the available square footage is for Novi, compared to the exhibition space at Cobo?

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't blame the classic car owners for not wanting to return next year with a roof like that and leaky tarps. Classic cars aren't meant to get wet.

I don't see why the state appointing a representative to look after a new Cobo deal is such a big deal to City Council.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial Showplace has 215,000 square feet of exhibition space, and Cobo 700,000 square feet. They are on two very different scales. It depends on how much space Autorama use, what type of amenities and services they like, the number of adjacent hotel rooms, etc...anyone know how long they've been coming to Cobo?

It's a relatively large show, so perhaps Cobo would be their only option. From the News:

quote:

The three-day show usually draws about 100,000 visitors to the Cobo Convention Center, but this year the numbers could jump by as much as 30,000 because of a few days of warm weather, organizers said.

"The weather helps," said Bob Larivee Jr., CEO of Championship Auto Shows, which organizes the Autorama. "You can't control mother nature."

Larivee said 20 buses, each containing 50 people came from the Upper Peninsula, Canada and Ohio, helping to jam the hotels affiliated with the show.

Anyone know how many rooms are in the immediate vicinity of Rock Financial ShowPlace?

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 08, 2009)

Reddog289

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive that Autorama moved to Cobo in 1961,according to the 50th anniversary program I pulled off the bookshelf.Not having been to the Rock I was unsure of the size of the place.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Rock Financial couldn't manage the Autorama even if you used a shoehorn..they can barely cram the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in their available space, and that event's got about a fifth of the exhibitors that the Cobo version of "Autorama" puts on the main floor, which isn't even counting all the local guys in the basement.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would estimate double, perhaps triple, the number of cars on display for Autorama compared to NAIAS. They squeeze cars into every corner of that place and lack the huge displays NAIAS has that take up lots of space.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Martha Reeves (Please reference the "Martha Reeves on Frank Beckman" post), people from the suburbs have been controlling COBO, so please call THEM and report that this jewel has a leaking roof. It is THEM's fault.

(Message edited by rjlj on March 08, 2009)

Reddog289

Post Number: 970
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should be in bed cause I am going to the Autorama today.From the sound of this I might have to bring my rain gear.I subscribe to a few car mags and Autorama is in most of them.This show gets alot of national press.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know with an election for mayor going on you would think that Ken Cockrell or Dave bing would make an appearance at this show. Not that the voters have cars there but to at least take some sort of stand. If I had a car there, I wouldn't be too thrilled with Cobo. And like it or not, this is one of the major events at Cobo for the year. Heaven knows Conyers or any of the other band of idiots appearing there would placate or enthuse the participants or attendees.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this just typical. Monica rails on about losing one of the City's "Jewels" but the City can't be bothered to keep Cobo in decent condition. With the mentality of the Council and administration for many years now, it's no wonder why the entire City is in the shit-hole. This kind of mentality goes back to the days of Coleslaw, when he basically ignored the neighborhoods and most of the whites moved out due to poor city services and the decaying school system.

Now it's so messed up that I doubt it can ever be fixed. Jenny should exhibit some guts and step to save Cobo before it looks like so many other of vacant properties south of Eight Mile.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching this an hour ago during the news and
this is very sad for the Autorama. Does Monica "Ghetto" Conyers care? The way she'll put it: "HELL NO!!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica caring all depends on the circumstances.

Was the car owner black or white?

Was the car owner from the suburbs or the city?

If the guy was white and from the suburbs, then no, she won't care cuz, according to her, a person that doesn't look like her shouldn't be in the city anyways.

Mr. Whitey suburb man should take his fancy car and his money and get the fuck out. No wait, go on a head and leave the money and then he can take his lily white ass and hit 8 mile.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long before one of the city council members suggest that this problem could be solved by handing out buckets with chin straps to the Cobo Hall visitors?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyer's wanting Detroiters to look like her is an insult to every attractive African American.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just sing Onward Christian Soldiers, click the heels on your ruby slippers together 3 times and all will be well

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novi's Rock Financial Center may not be big enough, but there's a huge place in Auburn Hills that would be ill suited for anything else but a Corporate HQ or as an exposition center.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Likewise, one of the escalators from the main floor to the basement was out of service..

I was there Saturday, and this broken escalator created such a bottle neck of people, it was ridiculous. The people coming down had no where to but into a mob of others waiting to go up.

The escalator sometimes worked, but a security guard would let "x" amount of people go up, and the escaltor would suddenly stop. The people on it would walk the rest of the way up. Once those peole were off, more would be allowed to get on, and everyone would go through the same cycle again and again. They should have just turned the stupid thing off.

Canuc_420
Username: Canuc_420

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was stuck on that escalator for three hours before they got it going again.!! Detroits sinking and monica cant swim.

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was stuck on that escalator for three hours before they got it going again.!!"

How the hell do you get stuck on an escalator? I mean, it's not like you can't manually start walking down or up it.

Canuc_420

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That explains all the looks.!! Thanks for clearing that up for me Roq.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL I was thinking the same thing... I can see if it were an elevator.... but for real 3 hours?

Canuc... did you even go to the show or are you just trying to add more weight to the story?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of like many in Detroit. They expect someone else to help them out. Some times you have to help yourself out to get where you want to go.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The security guard wouldn't let anyone back on the escalator until it started moving again. If he would have hit the stop button, it could have been used as stairs and there would not have been a problem.

Canuc_420

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT WAS A JOKE PEOPLE.I WAS NOT ON IT FOR THREE HOURS JEEZZ.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Conyer's wanting Detroiters to look like her is an insult to every attractive African American."

The cobo employees do work she wont do. Give her a mop and bucket and she'll tell you that you are reinforcing a racist stereotype about black women as maids.
She should welcome white suburbanites to work there. That way, she can mess up the bathrooms just to watch someone from Oakland or Macomb county get clean it up....Let them do what she would consider demeaning.
I respect service industry workers. Especially when compared side to side with Conyers. One will have gone home having truly had a productive day.Hint:It aint Monica.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those cars do not look like Monica Conyers' cars so they should not be there! For Cobo we fit a stereotype for everything involved in it. Unless the council is driving a bunch of restored, vintage cars (and they would be dumb to) then they do not belong in Cobo. I heard that they serve Pepsi in Cobo because Coke does not look like the pop can in Monica's house.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canuc, welcome and take heart, maybe some people thought you were yet another DPS graduate.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canuc - I believe they got it and they were just funnin' with 'ya! It was a good joke, made me LOL! :-)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Canuc, welcome and take heart, maybe some people thought you were yet another DPS graduate."

Hey! I went to DPS!! Me not smart? That's unpossible!!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Escalators can never break. They just become stairs"
-Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Escalators can never break. They just become stairs"
-Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the direction this thread was taking.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4246
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reporting on this in the Free Press and News was odd, today. It's like they went looking to tell everyone the roof was leaking, but most people didn't seem to care. The manager of the show also crept around the issue by saying that "If this isn't addressed, they're going to lose events," which purposefully doesn't mention that they'll lose his event. It makes me wonder how bad the situation really is.

Certainly a strange mix of quotes:

quote:

Rick Selover, business development manager at Painters Supply & Equipment Co., one of the 900 exhibitors at Autorama, said Cobo has become an embarrassment.

"This is Detroit -- this is Autorama -- we should have a better showcase," he said. "It doesn't do us any good if you're walking through here and all of a sudden you see water dripping down."

Another:

quote:

“We haven’t had any problems,” said Scott, who has attended the show the past four years. “This is a pretty nice facility. One of the best we go to.”

And this:

quote:

Despite the roof problems, Larivee said attendance at the show is expected to top 100,000 and could be above average. Saturday's attendance was particularly strong, with an estimated 45,000 people showing up to view customized hot rods, classic cars, and accessories.

The strong attendance was recorded despite a tough local economy and an increase in the adult admission price to $18 from $16. Larivee said the increased admission price this year was the first increase in seven years.

I guess it seems as long as they are making money, they'll put up with the leaky roof.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let Monica fix it.

Reddog289

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it there Sunday. Saw the tarps holing back the water up in the rafters.What got me mad was the one bathroom I used. The hand dryers didn,t work, the paper towel dispener that had towels in it was falling of the wall, and the water faucets wouldn't shut off. Water and money going down the drain as the DW&S raises rates. Otherwise I did enjoy the show.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs.

You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just

"Escalator Temporarily Stairs...... Sorry for the convenience."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6208
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
Not true... haven't you ever seen escalators that are broken being closed down so that the mechanics can be worked on (usually at the bottom of the escalator)? They do close periodically for maintenance.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9577
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs.

Mitch Hedberg? My favorite.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, having some roof leaks on a large facility like Cobo during this time of year isn't that unusual, and should also not be taken as a sign of a total lack of a maintenance program. Fixing a roof with any kind of temporary patch is as useless as filling a pothole before a snow storm in the Winter. In the case of roofs, and depending on what type, even walking on it can do more harm than any repair.

Michiman
Username: Michiman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the owner of a classic car, if I had mine on display there, there's no way I'd ever go back. You take it there figuring it's inside, so it'll be safe and dry. Who'd ever think you'd need a tarp for an inside show??

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica believes that it was a conspiracy b/c the roof didn't leak for the autoshow of the dogshow. I guess she missed the fact that we were supposed to have close to 2 inches of rain?

She also says that the media did not have permission to be inside Cobo, and should not have been let in. I guess she doesn't believe that the media should be promoting any of the event held there.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what's a little rain? Those cars don't look like mine.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gistok. And I will say BRC needs to go to the sanitarium. Either that or she really is a cunt.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crain's picked up the bit I posted about Monica's claim that the press were trespassing at Cobo & her questioning the timing of the leaks.

They also talk about it being cost prohibitive to expand to 1,000,000 sq ft b/c of the cost in relocating the People Mover.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090309/FREE/903099980

Video of the comments are at around 1:16

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multimedia/player/index.php?id=3234

(Message edited by leland_palmer on March 10, 2009)

Reddog289

Post Number: 973
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know if the I wasn't aware of the roof leaks. I might have not paid much thought to the other problems with Cobo. But the roof leaks and all the "Big Show" got me pissed.Detroit does not have enough money to provide services to it's residents and yet some of it's council members piss and moan about a take over by "Whitey suburban non -Detroiters".This whole thing IS ONE BIG JOKE.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not alone.

I went to the last day of the New York International Auto Show 2 years ago at the Javits Center, when it rained 8 inches in one day.
It seemed like about 1/4 of the cars were covered with tarps to shield them from the water pouring through the roof, and their people were running around like keystone cops with buckets.

Much like Cobo, the Javits is an aging relic in dire need of an overhaul, if not replacement.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its amazing that Conica actually believes the roof leak is a conspiracy. And all the other old hens around her too! Does she realize it wasn't pouring rain for the dog show and prior to that it was too cold for rain??? WTF!!!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Conyers told the assemblage she questioned the leaks, given the public debate about the condition and value of the 49-year-old facility.

Council’s fiscal analyst has said that in part because of the need for renovations and repairs, Cobo has a negative net value.

Conyers also accused reporters of trespassing at the publicly owned facility to report the leaks."

So, according to the expert president of City Council, the fact that we received two inches of rain was irrelevant to the leaks, and newspeople who are covering events at the show are trespassing?

Monicalogic 101

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.