Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » 355 million for Detroit schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No question our children deserve some special accommodation. But 355 million dollars with no strings going for a corrupt broke system defies belief. I'll repeat no strings attached.

It's money misspent unless and until the DPS system is fixed.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a fantastic stimulus!

Think of the new cars the board will be buying and the lavish trips they will be taking.

Oh, who am I kidding? They will probably just buy so magic beans.

Sumas

Post Number: 787
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you 321 for the chuckle. No doubt this money for DPS will go to buy foreign import cars.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did everyone forget that no money is being spent in Detroit without the approval of the state appointed financial manager?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was probably a preemptory strike on her part, knowing full well that the money was coming in.

There are other school districts as well that are receiving money. Obviously not as much as Detroit,but proportionate to their size and amount of low income families. Bear in mind that these are only estimates at this time.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov /sfa/main/K12Grants.pdf

Sumas

Post Number: 788
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, I love your posts. You are well informed, articulate and obviously intelligent.

But DPS is like a rusty bucket or a hugh sieve. Money keeps draining out like blood on a CSI program.

I wish this newly appointed financial manager, all my best hopes, because our kids deserve better. He does not have the authority to do too much to improve structure,just cash flow.

Reality tells me it is a broken system that deserves a complete overhaul.

Forgive me for laughing occasionally because I just might cry and throw in the towel.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - Thanks. I agree that DPS is a total disaster. It's such a mess that I don't even have an idea of how to fix things. If the financial manager isn't going to be able to ensure that this money isn't wasted, the Governor and legislature should pass legislation to control how that money is spent or to provide strong oversight. I can't believe that no oversight is the only outcome.

Keith_rylatt
Username: Keith_rylatt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although just retired, 35 years ago I applied to become a High School teacher to Detroit City Education Dept but never even got a reply. I am English and have a Degree from an English University and a UK teaching qualification but all to no avail. I do hope that this funding will help the obvious curent problems.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should start by tearing down all of their empty buildings.

I also liked what Pontiac did. Lat everybody off at the end of the year and then selectively bring back only who is necessary for the amount of students and buildings they currently have.

Do it on a merit basis if at all possible. Maybe some of the money could be used to offer early retirement buyouts to teachers they can't fire.

Sumas

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two sons, my eldest had the good fortune to have a teacher from the UK for Kindergarten. Her name was Mrs. Curtis, the school was a daycare that went through K. She was amazing. I still credit her for his great start on a quest for learning.

PS: Don't remember the names of too many of his lack luster teachers except of course the ones that were so poor that I had to go through channels to get rid of them.

A good teacher is priceless.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: