Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Martha Reeves on Frank Beckman « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy...

http://wjr.com/Article.asp?id= 1201815&spid=6552

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sounds outrageously ignorant. She has absotively posilutely no idea what she's talking about.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are these mysterious forces from outside of Detroit that are running Cobo and not maintaining it?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This woman is nuckin' futz..

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She truly does have no idea what she's talking about. It's scary. How much can we do to improve Detroit when we have leaders like this?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 629
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he wake her up? What time was the interview.

She's right.

It is run down and worn out and not maintained properly.

He put her in a corner she isn't smart enough to get out of.

Fact is the city controls Cobo. Whoever works on it was chosen by the city.

It's not suburban contractors fault they give better kickbacks.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she apparently thinks that ilitch and ilitch owned Olympia entertainment have no connection to each other. she's a bright one

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She called it "Olympic" entertainment.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she also seems to think that the detroit zoo and historical museum no longer exist, since they aren't owned by the city.

the end of the interview is just terrifying. she scares the shit out of me

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez... there seems to be quite a communication barrier between the two.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap: Monica Conyers version

http://wjr.com/Article.asp?id= 1197527&spid=6525

even worse

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 975
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Beckman vs Martha Reeves - Nolan Finley vs Detroit Common Council. What a bunch of whack jobs. It's the blind leading the blind and the ignorant questioning the ignorant.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what Mr. Ilitch thinks about Mrs. Conyers talking about the new arena so much. This is at least the second, and I think possibly the third different interview where she talks about the new arena.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Frank Beckman vs Martha Reeves - Nolan Finley vs Detroit Common Council. What a bunch of whack jobs. It's the blind leading the blind and the ignorant questioning the ignorant.

Yeah; no kidding.

Is any one in the more sane wings of the local media ever going to try to site down with and interview Tinsley-Talabi? I mean, many may like to consume these sensational junk food-trainwreck interviews and columns with the likes of personalities such as Martha Reeves, Frank Beckmann, Monica Conyers and Nolan Finley. But, a lot of the rest of us are simply interested in, and hungery for, actual news and nuance.

I mean, since Reeves, Collins, and Conyers have been given more than their fair share of media whoredom, wouldn't it actually be nice for the local media to extend to Brenda Jones, Shelia Cockrel, and Kwame Kenyatta the same courtesy of giving their side? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm actually very interested to hear Tinsley-Talabi grilled concerning why she changed her vote, and see Kenyatta and the rest more airtime to explain why the regionalization of Cobo is good for Detroit since the opposition has been given so much airtime to explain why its so terrible.

Anyone think Frank Beckmann's up for interviewing the other side of this? Where do the more sane minds in the region get to air side of the story?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She also said that the population in the City of Detroit has decreased by over 2 million people... this woman doesn't seem to know much of anything.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We finally have a United States."

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3410
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saying again, in an amongst their seemingly bizarre protests and commentary, there is more to this. I smell a scam.

"There is money for it to be maintained"

"It's not being maintained"

"200 million in the hole from a restoration standpoint" devalue.

These are earmarks of a concerted effort to take control of something by a third party. One thing missing from this, why do they really want it? And why do they care?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I mean, since Reeves, Collins, and Conyers have been given more than their fair share of media whoredom, wouldn't it actually be nice for the local media to extend to Brenda Jones, Shelia Cockrel, and Kwame Kenyatta the same courtesy of giving their side?"

It takes two to tango. Why do you assume that the media hasn't asked to interview some of these people and they declined?

The pro-legislation side has gotten plenty of coverage. Kwame Kenyatta has done many radio and TV interviews concerning this issue. Ken Cockrel has been given air time as has his mother.
By the way Saul Green was on Beckman's show a few days ago representing the mayors point of view.

As far as Tinsley-Talabi, the media can't force her to do interviews if she's unwilling to participate.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please remember that Reeves was also the person who did now know if Tiger Stadium was torn down or not. She just does not have a clue, which seems to be a requirement to serve on City Council, at least for the majority who voted to kill the Cobo plan.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just listened to the interview. Oh.My.God.

I'm interested in the "control" issue she refused to discuss. Who runs Cobo? What is the truth? Is there some sort of side deal that's not been made public?

It's curious that Ilitch and Olympia entertainment is silent on all this mess. No renegotiation of the lease, not a peep.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 977
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan, regarding #4240, I couldn't have said it better. There are at least 2 sides to every story, and almost always many more. We're not hearing #3, 4, 5 ........... All we're hearing are the vested interests in arguing, finger pointing and name calling. KK's gone, so Finley and Beckman have descended to the next targets on the pecking order instead of spreading the questions around. Conyers and Reeves are more than willing to jump in the spotlight with them. They all feel the need to justify their existence and jobs, so they're a match made in heaven, for each other, and hardly anyone else.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I cannot understand about Reeve's "fog" is the fact she's only in her sixties. She's not a drinker or druggie, is she?

She's too young to be in such a state.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the synagro investigation hanging over the city councils heads I wouldn't be surprised if she's hepped up on prescription goofballs.

No one is going to confuse her as being the sharpest tool in the shed, but she sounds like she's out to lunch.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to get some new blood on the council. It seems like it is dominated by a bunch of old ladies. That in itself wouldn't be a bad thing but they seem to be out of touch which is a more polite way of saying, "They're nuts."

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another gem from Reeves was that the Autoshow encouraged people to buy foreign cars. Therefore, we should look into limiting the show to domestic automakers.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not defending Martha Reeves here, but she should have known better than to take the bait from Frank Beckman. His agenda has always been clear, and he has been a spokesman for the far right for years.
If she fell into his trap, just think of how she will self destruct when the feds go after her. She does not appear to be the brightest light on the tree.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 822
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bait? He asked a few questions and she rambled on incoherently. She never put a rational thought together. She sunk herself.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I serve the city of detroit" must be #1 in the deflection hand book. I'm sick of hearing it. Martha Reeves just showed me what she, BRC, and Monica all think when they vote. Unless you give them kick backs, you have no deal. Martha has no clue about anything that goes on in Detroit. I thought atleast she would give a reasonable explaination as to why she voted no on the deal, but she doesn't even know who owns Cobo in the first place.

Peanut757
Username: Peanut757

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Are you f**kin kiddin me!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.